Is M:S abandonware?

Does it need it? What’s wrong, what’s it not doing. Perhaps it is what it is. The price reflects that. It won’t be an OT at any point in time.

I think it’s a pretty tite box :+1:t6:

3 Likes

My issue is I really just want linear non techno workflow here, not conditional trigs that require mathematics to figure out how things will line up with an already written song

Basically, i want p-locking but with linear full drum tracks that can easily follow what I write on guitar or synth. I’m not trying to play around with probability to get to the song that is already written on another instrument that I need drums for. But that’s just my specific use case, so to each their own!

2 Likes

Right on. I had never heard they were unsuccessful, but then see two people mention it in the same thread. I wasn’t sure if Elektron had stated this, or that a fake news cycle was beginning.

1 Like

Perhaps the Elektron workflow is just not for you. Unlimited length patterns would be nightmare workflow-wise (I’m imagining hitting page multiple times to get to bar X, for example) whereas a DAW or another hardware sequencer might suit you better in your use case.

9 Likes

Fair enough. What unlimited length sequencers/drum machines/daws have full p-locking that works the same way, built in? I like a lot about the Elektrons, of course its unreasonable to want them to be something they’re not

I hear you. All I can suggest is going for Rytm or Octatrack to get all of the Elektron p-locking goodness in a drum machine/sampler, but still be able to use their song mode/arranger to chain each section of your song and still be able to individually edit each pattern so that paging around isn’t a headache. I realise these are expensive machines just to get that functionality tho.

5 Likes

I suppose i just need to get more comfortable with pattern chaining on rytm for now, until they let you do what I want with Overbridge or another device. I have that same issue you described with pressing the page button, but with having to get out of chain mode to edit individual sections of the chain when writing that way, always losing my pattern I’m trying to edit as the sequencer runs.

1 Like

I see what you are missing, and I too was really bothered with not being as flexible as I thought I want it to be. I tried more or less every hardware sequencer out there, but most of them are less flexible. I tried MPCs and the Force, wasn’t for me either.
At the end, I tried to not force my vision into the machine but use the machine and see where it brings me. Yes, my music changed a lot, that I do with hardware, but I have more fun than ever.

I think we have to be honest to ourself: Not every device or type of tool is for everyone. You will never get the flexibility of a DAW into a hardware device other then trying to do, what the new MPC does (that is, in my opinion, an aweful user experience).

1 Like

That happens on every single elektron device I own. Seems like a very difficult problem or they would have solved it.

whaaat?.. the Mpc’s workflow is butter, but yeah its not for everybody… it’s an instrument though, never felt like a daw to me

3 Likes

Deluge, or Ableton+Push

1 Like

I sold my M;c , but am still waiting for that battery handle :grin:

Like other Elektronauts have said, I think it’s important to understand where the M:S fits in with the whole range. That is, it’s entry level with a fixed amount of functions.

I bought one last year, and while I feel like I’ve outgrown it, needing more midi capabilities and direct sampling, i know I wouldn’t have been ready for the Digitakt at first. So the M:S fulfilled Elektrons aim for me: it got me into the Elektron headspace. It’s an intuitive, immediate little box, but of course it has limitations because it would start to encroach on Digitakt’s territory. I would say that if you don’t like it, get something more powerful; I certainly will be when my budget allows :wink:

5 Likes

It’s probably been said before in this thread but Elektron is notorious for surprising us with firmware updates. I have always loved my OT mk2 since I got it but definitely hoped for some firmware upgrades. After getting Trig conditions (and the screen shutoff) I thought it was over which was disappointing but acceptable. But, then we got the most recent monster of an update and I’ve been more in love then ever.
Point being, things may take much longer then you want but Elektron has a track record of NOT abandoning things in general. I wish they were a bit more forth coming with what they were working on but not much we can do about that.
With that said, samples is a simple creature by design. If you want more, you need the Digitakt. If you want to blow your mind, you need the Octatrack.

1 Like

I’m always surprised at how much people love hyperboles.

5 Likes

What i m really wondering about is whether OP is still going to argue their point with all of you.

4 Likes

the wonderful thing about the elektron ecosystem is that if the model samples or model cycles is something that you feel you’ve grown out of they still make great extensions /companions for whatever else you combine them with, and not only other instruments made by elektron… the model series make fantastic companions for any other beatmachine on the market with their almost one to one workflow and on the fly capability they are great for adding variation to any kind of set

Trollception!

1 Like

This is the worst topic I have ever read.

5 Likes

“Abandonware” sounds techy and dystopian enough to be an album title.

Maybe a collaborative compilation album of 100% Model:Samples productions? Channel all of this thread’s energy in a positive way?

9 Likes