Is M:S abandonware?

Use 120 sample hits in a chain and every integer would be a new sample.

Try it. What do you have to lose? This is an opportunity to be creative and do something new.

8 Likes

that’ll work…!

btw what are you making your chains with audacity?

Try Octachainer. It has an updated feature that allows for 120 samples.

5 Likes

Regarding MS abandonware… the Model Samples Is so dope its worth having more than one, to even keep more than one unit loaded up with a completely different soundset which would make it a different instrument, it is that good imo and that’s not how I’d ever describe abandoneware

3 Likes

I love it when a ranting thread turns into tricks that make clever use of existing features…

22 Likes

Not abandonware for sure but I would have appreciated to be able to change global output volume by one CC7 on global channel rather than saturating my midi bus with 6.
And also a more secure (may be not possible due to hardware?) way of preserving presets in memory against unpredictable power shortage (the ones without pressing the start/shutdown button), I spend days trying to repair a bad preset (no sound, locks not in locks, tec.) before just reloading it from project to fix the pbs) and get no answer (zero) from Elektron support…
Not abandonware but… firmware/new features budget certainly exausted

2 Likes

I was once told by a Roland Royalist when discussing the lack of bug fixes in the MC707:

“It’s best just to buy hardware with no updates expected.”

Usually not how it goes, but this also isn’t terrible advice

3 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever bought a piece of gear the moment it came out. Never bought a piece of gear expecting it to do something it currently couldn’t. Never been disappointed or waiting on updates shrug

7 Likes

Me neither. Second hand & released 2 years prior is how I like my gear.

Except for the M8 Tracker. I pre ordered that because it looks like the perfect travel companion and sounds amazing.

Of course there are bugs, many of which have been outlined on this forum. Most of them are minor and hardly surprising due to the fact that these units are stacked to the gunwales with functionality! Unfortunately, there will always be bugs at this level of complexity, and it’s unrealistic to expect that they will all be squashed.

I think it’s fair to expect Elektron to resolve issues that significantly impact required behaviour, however. To my mind, there is one issue that falls into this category: the first step of the pattern is regularly missed when syncing to an external clock – a potential dealbreaker for live setups.

It has been a while since the last update, but I don’t think it’s time to resort to false dichotomies yet. Firmware updates require a lot of testing to ensure that fixes don’t create new conflicts.

3 Likes

Yep you’re right about that. And they just fixed that problem on the Digis, so it’s fixable. Fair point.

2 Likes

…it was a high risk to think out loud, how a take on the low price segment could play out for a former boutique company…
and as always…estimated costs were higher than expected…while success was surprisingly lower than expected…
developer ressources remain the most expensive factor on the long run…
for all companies…
the models are quite impressing and superversatile the way they are…
and we can be sure, this model product range was a first and a last take on the low price segment for our beloved swedish company…
let’s be lucky, they survived this obvious danger of overstretch…
overbridge and the idea of the models were the two big points of good thinking, whishing for the best, while put the whole thing at risk…
let’s get back to mid and high price segment products, let’s swim back to boutique…where this company was always rooted for good…

1 Like

I really like the way elektron products overlap but still complement each other. The reason i don’t own every instrument is only the lack of a major salary update.

2 Likes

I’m glad the budget line has been unsuccessful. I want them to make devices with lots of synthesis types such as MM and MD. If they made those without the 64 step + pattern chain limit, as in continuous linear steps with no limit, it would help move them out of repetitive 2000s electronic techno territory and expand their users more than trying to get people into budget models for that style would

Elektron gave us control all and the chance knob on this beat machine that I can carry around all day and not even feel it…
you can’t have things like this and peace on earth at the same time!

1 Like

Has it??? I’m loving my M:S for immediate control of most of the parameters. Trig conditions / scaled tracks are your friend for getting out of the 64 step limit.

9 Likes

I’m curious where I can read more about them being unsuccessful? Tried searching I’m coming up empty-handed.

I first bought a Samples and am now fully addicted to Elektron. I got the Cycles, then OT, and several sound packs. Next is Digitone then Rytm. Eyeballing the Four and Heat. So in my case I can’t see how that wasn’t profitable for them in the long run, even if they lost money selling me the Samples.

As to it being abandonware, it seems stable and bug-free now so they are likely focusing on other things currently. I would imagine they will turn their attention back to it in the future. OT got major new features 10 years in. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Do you all have access to sales figures and R&D costs that we don’t? Or maybe just going off personal feelings on this one?

Interesting, and who did you hear this from?

6 Likes

Sorry I’m just messing around. Someone else implied it was unsuccessful in this thread, and I like the idea of Models being unsuccessful because its not what I want to see. But I’m happy for everyone who loves it.

2 Likes