Is it better to convert your samples to mono before upload?

But the conversion takes place before sending !

Do the test, I think someone did this for the AR and it was a dropped channel, it sends the Left iirc

4 Likes

I know, that was why I added the last part of my post. Going to Upload another batch. Will see if I can confirm.

2 Likes

Is there any way to see how much room is left on the +drive? I can’t seem to find anything in the menus.

Hey there fellow elektronauts!

I have a question regarding transferring samples to the digitakt (using elektron transfer).

I have a bunch of iwantthatsound samples (which are great).
But when I transfer them to my digitakt (using elektron transfer) they sound pretty bad (especially the kicks).
Can this be because of the conversion process? Is this only due to a stereo to mono effect? or can it be a suboptimal conversion process (within the digitakt).

Do you guys think I would get better results if I convert the samples to mono myself before transferring them to the digitakt?

Thanks!

If I’m not sampling directly from the DT Inputs I always prepare my samples in Renoise.

So in Renoise I created a matrix of around 30 of my favourite effect plugins, all of them disabled and as I need, I’ll activate them and move them around depending on what I’m looking for. Then I load samples that I want to work with in the sampler, and try to take the best character out of each one. If the sample is stereo I’ll find if sounds better from the L or R or SUM LR. I work always in 24/88 and at the end convert down to 16/48.

Suming the LR will not give you the best results every time. You can definitely loose the definition and impact of the sample by doing so because you can have conflic of frequencies that will cancel or sum.

For this kind of analytical work I like to use Etymotic ER4XR headphones paired to DAC/Headphone amp Chord Mojo. There’s a great synergy between them that lets me ear every detail to extreme. Reverb and compression becomes easier to dial and find the perfect spot. I’m super grateful to own such equipment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks guys, good advice.

I found a good app to batch convert with lots of options and flexibility (izotope rx6).
I still find it tricky to decide on the best L/R balance, It looks like just adding them together 50/50 does give the best result most of the time although I agree there are exceptions. In your experience, do you agree? Is this something you could ‘predict’ when looking at the waveforms?

No need to convert samples to mono beforehand, the Elektron Transfer app does this for you and sends only the L channel of a stereo file to the Digitakt. Verified this myself yesterday using a stereo file with clearly distinguishable channels (test tones). The R channel is dropped.

2 Likes

Oh yeah sorry my bad :aw: I was busy researching how to convert my drum samples to mono for the Digitakt so I was still in that mindset. In all my cases the stereo is only for spatiality so I am actually quite happy that Elektron Transfer only takes one channel, I don’t have to worry about phase issues then :thup:

3 Likes

If it only takes the left channel and discards the right, what is the point of plugging in L&R cables? Wouldn’t it make more sense to just plug one lead into the left side?

@TornadoTed no I meant the Elektron Transfer app (uploading samples via USB), not the inputs on the Digitakt

I so in LOVE for Batch sample with MYRIAD it’s not cheap but affordable and it’s cover all your Batch Sample needs ever !

http://myriad.aurchitect.com ( mac software i forget to mention it )
3 Likes

Ok cool, I get you.

So what happens when you sample from the analogue inputs, does that sum both channels to mono or also discard the right side?

You can choose when sampling with the Digitakt. Quote from the current manual (page 49):

Source selects between different incoming audio sources to sample from.

• EXT L sets the input source to INPUT L.
  • EXT R sets the input source to INPUT R.
  • EXT L+R sets the input source to INPUT L+R. The audio is summed together to mono.
  • INT L sets the input source to the Digitakt internal audio left channel.
  • INT R sets the input source to the Digitakt internal audio right channel.
  • INT L+R sets the input source to the Digitakt internal audio L+R channels. The audio is summed
    together to mono.
1 Like

Good to know, thank you.

2 Likes

Another alternative that I like to batch-convert several audio files is MediaHuman Audio Converter (free)

2 Likes

Or do i have to convert them before I transfer?

I really wish the Transfer app would’ve made it clear it’s not summing up but only uses one channel.

I’m transferring a bunch of sample and it’s taking a while. I just noticed that I can’t activate Turbo Mode on my DT for some reason. Any idea why?

i have never been able to access turbo mode on my rytm either

Do you have go enable turbo mode for the new app?