Export Audio From Ableton to Digitakt

Been trying to sample some of my VST synths on Ableton and send them to the Digitakt. The simplest way that came to my mind is to just record an audio clip, export it, then move it the Digitakt. Simple enough.

The issue is the audio size exported could be bigger in size than what I would like. So I was thinking of using the interface outs into the Digitakt and sampling that way. How do you guys do this?

I use the edit audio feature in Ableton. I record a clip, then open the clip in audio editor (I use Sound Forge, but Audacity is free and just as good), then you can save the file using your audio editor the way you want.

2 Likes

Unless I am missing something why not just record, edit, and export in the format required directly from Ableton?

1 Like

What format would suggest that would result in a large audio file for the Digitakt?

Yup, already have Audacity installed. Never used this feature before but it works!

Don’t have a Digitakt so don’t know the optimum sample rate, bit depth etc. to export.
Whatever format most suitable for import into Digitakt, is what to export as in Ableton.
I am sure Digitakt audio file requirements would be listed clearly in the manual

Digitakt uses 16bit, 48 kHz mono samples.

I have to say that sometimes I’m lazy and just sample synths/sounds/etc from my DAW from an output on my interface, rather than record the audio, export the file, fire up Transfer, etc.

1 Like

I ll try to export to that format and see how big the audio comes out. I would definitely record directly to the Digitakt but the outputs are on the pack and that would create sort of a mess.

I’m also thinking of playing the sample and recording on my phone and then sampling the phone version to the Digitakt. I did that once and I thought it sounded nice for what I was going for. Definitely interesting to see how you guys do it.

A mono sample with 16bits/48kHz has the exact same size on the PC as on the Digitakt. It doesn’t matter where you record it. Going through multiple conversions (D/A + A/D) only degrades the original sound quality, but does nothing size-wise.

3 Likes

Yeah, the best thing about the DT is the ease of sampling and the way sampling can sometimes enhance the sound of the original sample. But if you must USB transfer, I think that the DT automatically converts files to it’s reqiured format.

Be aware if you transfer a stereo sample to DT, it only takes the left channel, so you may want to sum to mono first, or not, depending on the sample content…