iPad Music Apps?

Thanks. Just signed up to other site. Will ask there tommorrow.

To clarify for wim. To not have to buy and change Audio interface to an Iconnectaudio that can send via cable. To be able to have an ipad with just xequence on. Some apps dont have Abelton link. If Abelton link is obviously able to carry data from pad to pad. Hopefully the apps that dont have link. The link of Xequence on one pad and the link on Aum and AUs on the other pad. The data gets written in xequence and xequence is able to trigger the AUs ( on the other pad ) Also there be no problem with midi generators sending to Xequence ( from pad to pad ) Will check again to see if I actually need xequence on a seperate screen. Dont have Audiobus but do have a Korgnanokey studio but maybe it will be better to see all data. All the time.

This may not be exactly the same scenario, but somebody else asked how to sync Xequence with an app that does not have Ableton Link. The answer was to use Audiobus.

2 Likes

Pagefall/Abigail MacFarlane as a relative newcomer has been killing it with their MIDI processor apps.

This one is Ionarics, polyrhythm generator:

EDIT: I realized I had to patch something as an input to Ionarics, like AUM’s built in keyboard, before I could see and hear it in action.

1 Like

Got myself Xequence2 yesterday. Only taken it for a first spinn and my first impressions are that this is a really solid midi sequencer. (http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/index/).

Their Xequence AU Pads/Keys was a nice surprise to find in the app store. It’s basically the keyboard and pad input from Xequence2 as AU plugins and it’s a match made in heaven with a midi channel in AUM. The features you would expect are all there, but in a “no bullshit” way. Very clever how you can add more controller “modwheels” to send whatever midi cc values you want while playing with the keys.
Screen keyboard is “fully scale-aware, very playable single or dual keyboards” and I must agree, this is really good for being a screen keyboard, mostly due to the key scaling options to match your finger size.

2 Likes

Are the keys MPE? Are the pads velocity sensitive?

Probably not MPE compatible. Developer has stated he’s not a fan of MPE in a post on the Audiobus forum.

1 Like

Huh.

Ok thanks for info!

@GovernorSilver will correct me if I am wrong. I hope!

Xequence AU Pads - Options for velocity is a linear or s-curve scale and then four options:

• Max at center
  • Max at center (vertical only)
  • Max at bottom
  • Max at top.

Xequence AU Keys - Option for velocity is linear or s-curve and then two options:

• Max at bottom
  • Max at top

Nope, I believe you are correct.

Apparently just playing one note with an MPE controller already consumes multiple MIDI channels. A 3 note chord multiples the number of channels consumed. The developer doesn’t want to implement MPE in Xequence because he would have to change how MIDI channels are handled, and he has philosophical disagreements with the MPE spec.

Velocity sensitivity and other info about Xequence’s built-in controllers is in the Keyboard and Controllers section of the manual:
http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/manual/

There was one person on AB who gave the dev a hard time over MPE, then later admitted he just records his MPE performances to audio instead of MIDI, and recording MIDI is what Xequence is about. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh maybe the question was about the Xequence AU apps. No idea about MPE being in there.

The dev doesn’t want Xequence itself to be AU, but that didn’t stop him from releasing those controllers as separate AU apps.

Apple will not support IAA in the future so it’s in everyone’s interest to get on AUs.

Maybe someone can help me.

Cant get Octatrack MK1 sync with Xequence.
My iPad is connected to iConnectMIDI4 and Octatrack is connected to midi out 2.

In cubasis 2 everything is starting and stopping fine.

Nevermind, I answered myself.

2 Likes

I’m curious about your workflow between AUM, Xequence AU, and Xequence 2.

I’m still in my early days as an X2 user. When I’m ready to record into X2 - after all the MIDI connections between X2 and AUM are set up of course - I typically tap record in X2 then play X2’s internal keyboard or drum pads.

Some MIDI generators in AUM like Rozeta Collider require that I tap Play in AUM to initiate the MIDI generation, so this involves switching between X2 and AUM screens.

I just use AUM’s internal keyboard for quick preview of synth sounds. I guess using Xequence AU Keys instead , from inside AUM could be convenient, though I’m not sure what that really buys me compared to using X2’s keyboards inside X2, with a big advantage of easier access to X2’s transport buttons.

As an aside, I have yet to understand the demands for X2 itself to become AUv3, because none of the peeps demanding this take the time to explain the use case. I would not want to use the X2 screen from inside AUM because something about AU forces the screen of the AU app to be smaller than when the app is running standalone. I side with the dev in refusing to make X2 an AU host because forcing a MIDI sequencer to host non-MIDI AUs is sure to add bloat, and there’s no obvious advantage over just letting a mature AU host like AUM handle the hosting and letting X2 do what it does best.

1 Like

I don’t have any workflow to talk about. I’ve just got the Xequence stuff a few days ago. Got a few ideas and tried some stuff but that’s about it.

Just to clarify, MPE only uses one MIDI channel per note; but the protocol does call for the dedication of a single “common channel” for global messages as well.

Cheers!

I think it would be prudent of me to not take advantage of all the money Ive invested in music apps and neglect to buy an iPhone for my next phone.

So im curious for those who use both iphone and ipad: how do you find loading projects and presets between the two when it comes to universal apps? Is it an easy dropbox share procedure? Thanks in advance.

Depends very much on how individual apps sync/share.

1 Like

Ofc. I was just looking for peoples general experiences.