iPad Music Apps?

Patterning 2 is a fantastic sequencer and sampler, but I’m looking for synthesis specifically.

I’ve heard mixed things about that one. I’ll have to look into it.

SeekBeats is great, although there’s a lot of room for improvement.
I actually sent a list of UI interface suggestions to the developer (we were already in contact as I was giving him feedback on another one of his apps) but he never considered them… it’s a shame, because there were simple improvements (mostly GUI) that would’ve make the music making experience a lot better.
Still, it sounds great - the most Machinedrum-esque synthesis I’ve used in iOS, AFAIR… Elastic Drums is great, and probably better in terms of usability, but it’s sound engine is a lot dirtier… Seekbeats is cleaner.

1 Like

this is the USB-C equivalent

ok, it also has HDMI but Yeh

1 Like

I have it, no issues. Sounds great. Dodgy dongle like you said?

I was surprised when i learned that the dongle actually has the DAC I side it. Mind blown.

Maybe dongle can’t drive your cans? Not enough juice.

I really love it. The automation and randomisation features are crazy and the sound is really cool. But depends on taste I guess.
Seekbeats sounds great, too, but I’m not a fan of its sequencer

1 Like

I forgot the new iPad Pro has USB-C. Mine has the now-older Lighting port.

Forgot about SunVox - it has as drum synth module.

SunVox is one of the oldest modular synth apps for mobile devices out there - runs on multiple platforms (PC, Android, IOS, etc). It’s light on the CPU, relatively stable, and still being actively supported by the developer. It’s also easier to learn how to use than most peeps would think, and while the UI looks kinda “vintage” it responds predictably to one’s fingers, unlike too many apps that have knobs that turn the opposite direction of what you intended.

1 Like

I dont think there’s a problem with the dongle as such, it sounds “normal” with my lower-specced headphones. But I’ll test again with PCM WAV files. I’m actually hoping the wavs will sound as terrible, otherwise I’m never going to be content using lossy audio again :diddly:

All these years I thought I couldnt really hear any major diff between lossless and high bitrate MP3/AAC… I don’t wanna be “that guy” :zonked:

Maybe not the best thread to ask, but which hardware synth can get close/compare to Waldorf Nave?

Blofeld is the obvious one, fairly similar architecture. And I guess other Waldorf stuff to varying extents!

Personally I bought the Blofeld because I loved the sound of Nave so much but wanted something hardware. Honestly not used it that much yet but it is a pretty awesome synth and despite the lack of knobs it’s really easy to use. Also really cheap (especially second hand) for what you get!

1 Like

Twas supposed to be the Waldorf Quantum, but I never really paid close enough attention to verify if it’s truly Nave in hardware form.

1 Like

I’m too poor to even look at the Quantum webpage…

3 Likes

Now you know why I didn’t look at it closely

I was also looking at the Skulpt, any experience?

SKULPT is great if you’re looking for a portable 4 voice poly that excels in UK club music sounds. Its not a super-deep modulation monster but a decent bread and butter piece, as long as you are OK with the core sound. The low freq response of the synth is quite impressive, but some folks hungry for excessive high freq harmonics might be disappointed, its a VA after all.

1 Like

Factory - Modular Synthesizer by Sugar Bytes GmbH

Standalone is free!

6 Likes

If you are still looking for an FM synth try KQ Dixie. It is based on the Yamaha and there are alot of free sound packs out there.

1 Like

How did your test work out?

Don’t worry, bandwidth and storage are cheap these days, you can totally be that guy all you like:-)

Buying it based on the promo video alone!

Cross fader! What?!?

Can’t wait to try this out, thanks for the post!