iPad Music Apps?

New app Cality looks like loads of fun:

• Modify midi performances or sequencers
  • Add swing and accents
  • Filter notes by probability
  • Quantize to scales and chords
  • Transform midi notes bringing techniques from granular synthesis into the world of midi

Cality is a creative midi processor allowing subtle rhythmic enhancement, controlled chaos and everything in between. Add swing or accents, quantise the pitch of notes, use a probability gate or use the cloud module to add addition notes all under midi control

The cloud section takes techniques common in granular synthesis and brings them to the realm of midi notes. It adds additional notes to the ones you are playing. This can be a simple rhythmic accompaniment or it can bring new textures from your synths by generating a cloud of tiny notes almost entering the realms of black midi.

The note sections gives a fully automatable/midi controllable note quantiser with a range of scales, a transposer and the ability to constrain to simple chords as well

The tempo section allows the addition of swing and accents to incoming midi notes as well as providing a probability gate

Cality is great for bringing life to simple midi loops or patterns or for taking you deep into creative realms.

Cality is the second release from Pagefall Software following up on the success of the Autony generative sequencer. Pagefall aims to bring together musicians and technology to create simple but powerful and highly playable apps and plugins with the music coming first.

Cality is available for all iOs devices today. It is priced at Ā£5.99 (or the equivalent in other territories) It generates a MIDI output suitable for driving soft synths or hardware synths with a suitable interface. It requires an AU host like AUM or Cubasis.

3 Likes

Found one!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of info here, so forgive me for not wanting to go through every post.

Any recommendations for a drum synthesis app?
I have patterning and a couple of others. Not looking for a sequencer, just a space to create drum sounds.
Ta.

ElasticDrums

1 Like

Anyone know of a 2in 2out audio interface that can power an iPad Pro 3rd gen through its USB C connector?

Thanks!

Yeah? Why do you recommend that one? Is it flexible (no pun)?

No specific reason other than it synthesizes itā€™s drum sounds. I just had a quick look at my drum apps for ones that Synth-ed.

Ruse maker noir, also.

1 Like

I have these synth apps but I donā€™t use them so much. Sometimes I connect the NDLR and thatā€™s fun.

Ah cool. I shall give it a look then!

Thanks

so you want an audio interface that charges your iPad while connected?

Not sure one exists yet, but you could get the AV multiport dongle and you will then have one USB 2.0 port and a USB-C port for connecting the charger to, so basically the same thing, just one extra dongleā€¦

I think the arturia audiofuse does. Maybe the iconnectivity ones do. I think the novation audio hub does but its only got rca ins

This is not related to any apps in particular, just Apple/iOS in general:

Does anyone else have the USB-C headphone adapter dongle? I just got my new beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones, and listening to music sounds terrible. Is the problem with the 19ā‚¬ headphone DAC or does Apple music and iTunes AAC just destroy audio fidelity?

What Iā€™m hearing is this grainy, washed out soundā€¦ I donā€™t think impedance is the issue here. Maybe I need to test again with WAV files to be sure its not the audio compression itselfā€¦

But suspecting the headphone dongle at this pointā€¦ Any thoughts welcome

I find Elastic Drums to be kind of lacking in a lot of ways. I have yet to find a drumsynth app that I really like besides Ruismaker Noir, and even then, I donā€™t totally consider that a drum synth.

2 Likes

Likewise. Feels like a big gap in the market. Even a decent, simple drum sampler would be good. Canā€™t stand the UI of Beathawk which seems to be peopleā€™s suggestion for AUv3 drums.

Waldorf attack is a thing of beauty and sounds great, BUT the dials/knobs, especially the tune ones are quite fiddly and make for a frustrating experience.

2 Likes

SeekBeats

1 Like

This is what you want to connect your iPad to an audio interface, and also be able to keep charging the iPad via USB-C:

For drum synthesis, Elastic Drums and the Bram Bos apps are indeed popular. Do they satisfy everyone? Clearly not, but theyā€™re worth a look

Forgotten but still useful is the iMS-20 drum section - unfortunately the sequencer forces you to use knobs to set step values and you canā€™t zoom in on them. Also, some peeps hate that itā€™s not AUv3. But if youā€™re willing to deal with those shortcomings and prefer analog style synthesis, itā€™s pretty good.

Iā€™m sure Apple will release a similar adapter for USB C, unfortunately the item you linked is only for a lightening connector.

I feel that with USB C one should only need to have a power source on a single component within the chain. Hopefully mfg will catch up with the technology soon. My dream is a an 2i2o audio interface that I can plug in and then have it charge iPad Pro at same time.

Main goal with iPad ATM is to use iPad as Octa food and resampling of effect sends. Be so wonderful. :slight_smile:

My bad, youā€™re right the adapter I linked is lighting to lighting + USB3, not USB-C.