iPad Music Apps?

Yeah I don’t buy anything thats not AUv3 any more.

Not rebuying, i mix in auria and with the native coding you can get tons more instances than au plugins. Ff eq, timeless or saturn and microwarmer (or some other compressor) per track, and pro r and compressor and limiter on the master. That’s about 24-28 plugins in total. Don’t think you’ll get near that with au’s

Heads-up my fellow LinnStrumentalists and other MPE pioneers: Quanta by Audio Damage is now available for iOS (grin). If you’re a fan of granular synthesis at all, I think this app is going to prove a must-have. Looks very promising…

Cheers!

5 Likes

yes and don’t forget that you have to have tiny tiny fingers to use it…
imho worst interface so far… cluttered, weird usage paradigm and much too small interface elements…
a direct port from a mac or windows app… may be nice sounding but using it is without much joy…
could be much better if they had made an exclusive ios version.

why is it that every toilet maker has acknowledged that there is a size limit to sell its paper… ?
but interface designers are allowed to do buttons that are almost too small to hit them?

LOL … good point … maybe, because we wouldn’t get brown stinky fingers ? :wink:

Seriously … over the years of using software I have a suspicion. Some software is unusable, because it has been made by software engineers rather than by users.

I honestly can’t say I’m having a problem with it. The G.U.I. looks sharp, clean, and intuitive to me. I’m certainly not finding it any more difficult to manage on the touch screen than any other app I own, and I’m only using a 9.7" iPad. Regardless, I’ll be controlling it primarily from my LinnStrument to taking advantage of the MPE aspect of this synth, which was the main draw for me anyway. I do find it somewhat ironic though, you know, when people choose to make music on their iDevices, then act surprised when it proves a little fiddly. Perhaps these standards you’ve suggested should include warning labels for people with abnormally large appendages (wink).

Cheers!

yes may be.

I have a 10.5 pro and I am not sure if this might be a reason… but… others do better, if it is tardigrain or spacecraft granular… The developers too should accept that an ipad is not a desktop computer and as long as there is no mouse support for the ios devices there is a difference and that should be put into consideration… And no I have small fingertips and I am not trembling of age or drugs… It is just to tiny to feel good doing stuff in quanta and no it is not onloy the interface but some weird decisions of the interface designer…
That is the big problem of IOS music and one of the advantages of hardware like elektron where is only one usage paradigm and not a bazillion. Try using cubasis and modstep and you see how few similarities are between them… or quanta and samplr for example… the have nothing in common… This is not very comfortable… and I do not see the irony in that :slight_smile:

Yaaaassss. Been waiting on this one.

Don’t have modstep - is it the more comfortable compared to cubasis?

I feel that way about some of the fabfilter stuff in Auria. Yes great price etc but no manual for the iOS versions so you keep running into differences which aren’t covered. And synth One by fabfilter, which comes with Auria: I like the simplicity and the smooth filter control but it is SO tiny with no zoom I can find - it takes up a very small portion of the iPad screen. Again seems like a port from desktop where some things weren’t thought about…

Apple Pencil may help if you have a compatible iPad…

not at all :slight_smile:
I stopped using modstep…
Too many functions clutter up the interface…
I know the ipad is capable of a lot of work but it does not make stuff easy as every developer is cooking its own soup…

1 Like

Fabfilter Pro Q2 iOS, Im finding its spectrum grab feature super useful.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So, I’ve encounter a few bugs in Quanta thus far. Understandable, I guess. Can anyone else confirm that the filter on/off functionality isn’t working correctly: i.e. once I turn off the filter, I can’t seem to turn it back on? Unless I’m missing something obvious (shrug).

Cheers!

I can turn it back on (press a filter type) but I can confirm however it is in general a bit laggy. Its execution time of changes is just really inconsistent imo. Sometimes it just stops playing a note for no reason.

I’m not sure that’s due to the app or my iPadmini4. Shouldn’t be the latter. I’m getting no latency issues and CPU is approx 30%

Thanks for the reply!

Ya, having to press a filter type instead of hitting the ‘off’ switch a second time did trip me up at first, but it was also freezing up on me. Anyway, regardless, when I came back to it today, after reloading the app and rebooting my iPad, it seems to have sorted itself out. I haven’t noticed any lag-time otherwise on my 2017 iPad 9.7", but to be fair, I’ve yet to really dig in, so… We’ll see (grin).

Cheers!

Closing in on patterning 2, not long now. Been itching to buy the first one but not long till the second one comes out. Just wondering though if anyone knows if there’s some method of multitracking the kit out?

Personally not used the feature, but would the following suffice (taken from current Patterning):

Bounce individual tracks or the main mix and save your files to AudioShare, iTunes File Sharing or using “Open in….” to save to Dropbox or other apps.

Export directly to an Ableton Live Set! Generated Live Sets include MIDI tracks as well as audio. Export to a single master loop for each pattern, or each track individually.

1 Like

Above and beyond, looking forward to this one, sounds like it’s pushing well into digitakt territory with what it can do

1 Like

From what I understand, Patterning 2.0 is set to officially launch this Friday, July 27th! I’ve been beta testing it for months now… It’s definitely a step up from the original, which was already a fantastic and otherwise unprecedented drum machine. In my opinion, it’s worth buying an iPad for Patterning alone.

Cheers!

3 Likes