iPad Music Apps?

My 2 cents… don’t.
I have bought way too many apps i don’t use, so i don’t even consider buying m1 or wavestation because those sounds don’t appeal to me. Sure, after some mangling and processing you can make it work but that goes for any sound source.

2 Likes

I feel similarly. I have M01D on Nintendo 3DS but I’m sure it has since been eclipsed by Gadget for Switch as far as Nintendo music making goes. M01D though has MIDI export, which is missing on all the other Detune apps for Nintendo.

Anyway, because I’ve had M01D, I can’t get excited about iM1. Wavestation fans wax poetic about iWavestation, but I haven’t heard any demos/tracks with sounds that inspired me.

I just wanna add that I just got “samplr” and I’ve had mpc’s/sp’s/op-1/microgranny/euro samplers/electribes and probably other samplers I can’t remember but it’s easily the most expressive sampler I’ve ever owned.

Got an iPad to use as a daw because my 2010 macbook is burnt out but I’m really excited about finding out about “samplr”.

Would like to explore some drum synths to import into my Digitakt. But yeah go download samplr if u haven’t already <3

2 Likes

Elastic Drums fella, I keep on keeping on about it :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Has anyone successfully recorded a MIDI sequence from a iPad sequencer?

So in my case I write a sequence in Patterning. Setup AR as master and Patterning as slave. Hit Live Record on AR and let it rip. Quarter notes end up 1/96 on the microtiming.

Any work arounds or tips for this? Maybe uploading the MIDI file to Ableton then recording from there?

EDIT: solved below thanks to @karkwai

Got exactly the same results as you on Patterning. I’m connecting the iPad directly to AR via camera connection kit.

If however I set the iPad as master then start live record on AR, then the notes are on grid.

1 Like

Yes I think Patterning especially is fine as master.

Problem there is that I can’t figure out how to do a good job live recording that way. How is it you start the live recording of AR if slaved?

Not sure if it’s an ideal solution, try going to Sequencer Config and setting Quantize Live Rec. Puts notes on the grid with AR on master, but you would lose out on Swing from Patterning I guess.

2 Likes

Ahhh. I was doing trying quantize under track menu. I’ll try that in a bit.

Thanks either way!

EDIT: worked like a charm! Soooo good this. Thank you so much!

Can it do long boomy 808s? Sort of trap stuff?

No idea what trap is but you can get all manner of long bass drums from the varied engines, it truly is astounding, and it sounds great on all frequencies…
The iap are well worth it too, not essential at all but they do add a broader spectrum for sound design.

It is the best, plus you can export mixes and individual stems/tracks including fx sends which has serious scope for experimentation and inspiration…

Grab the manual and put your money down :+1:t3:

M1 and Wavestation are among my fave synths these days. I also have hardware versions of both!! I admit they can be an aquired taste however.

Programming patches is key. Forget what you know about the synths and just roll your own sounds.

Yes it can. Imo they’re not very rich but they can def boom. The app is more to glitch out. I haven’t figured out a good way to key in pitches, if youre looking to pitch it.

Trap hats are a breeze.

Found this fun lil app, I just generated a bunch of little ideas for basslines and electro tracks
SID Automated Mouth Retro Text to Speech Synthesizer

I think I’ve already mentioned it, but for those looking for synthetic drums, Seekbeats is awesome… has it’s limitations/GUI flaws (I made an extensive review of these for the developer but so far he didn’t pay much attention :stuck_out_tongue: )
IMHO is a lot “cleaner” than Elastic Drums… and quite Machinedrum-esque in a sense - you can get super pure sounds out of it

2 Likes
1 Like

Crazy, i’ve had this app for a while. Sounds really really good.

1 Like

its very good , i ussually just generate scales of notes c and f# at 120bpm …
instant easy to use sample fodder for digitakt / octatrack (i should check on rytm and it’s use of numbers for start points).

doing it in aum allows you to pre process it too , eq , compression , delays/reverb etc…
i think ive got loads already done from the presets somewhere… i can probably share them later if i get time.

2 Likes

Fabfilter have released Pro-Q 2 as an AuV3 for iPad…
Currently not compatible with GarageBand for some reason.

The price is a bit steep . I know fabfilter Q2 is the real deal, but I already purchased it for Auria for roughly the same price! If I had known fabfilter is coming to AU3, I woulda never bought them for auria (bought most of them already too, saturn, timeless, volcano… GRR).

Maybe I will still buy the AU3 version at some point. Having a proper parametric EQ with all the modern features available in every AU3 host, essential. If they also port the reverb, they have finally brought desperately needed tools to iOS. I know eqs and reverbs already exist, but I haven’t found any others that sound like what I’m looking for…