iPad Music Apps?

That’s the only one that really supports multitouch on Surface?

I guess we got a long wait then before Surface can really compete with iPad. We need to see Korg, Moog, ApeSoft (iVCS3, iDensity, etc.), port their apps over to Surface before we can declare Surface the next hot music tablet. I’m surprised Sugar Bytes hasn’t jumped on this. They seemed like a PC-leaning software shop.

Isn’t the idea of Surface for PC software to go touch capable? Which would mean an (long, way off) update of all PC software available now? Ableton, Diva, Reaktor, Overbridge, ect…

It’ll come…

Apple seem to’ve stopped giving a shit about their pro/creative users, Microsoft are trying to fill that vacuum and their latest offerings are way more exciting and well thought out than Apple’s.

If Microsoft sort out the audio driver side of things then I’ll take the leap after 15 years of Apple computers.

2 Likes

I thought similarly when the Surface was first introduced.

4 generations later, Bitwig is still the only multitouch app for Surface??? I guess the other devs (Ableton, NI, etc.) don’t take multitouch seriously enough yet.

Ironically, I’ve read comments from frustrated Surface owners accusing Ableton of being Apple fanboys. It’s ironic to me because in the early days of Live, Live was notorious for running more efficiently and with less bugs on WIndows than on Macs.

Broski… I’m not saying they’ll overtake Apple. Just saying Android isn’t gonna be taking the Silver Medal anytime soon

Skip addictive synth and get addictive pro! Same sound engine, better modulation options IIRC.

Yeah, I am planning on going that route, iOS is a bummer!
Although as a soundmodule to sequence from hardware the iPad synths going into AUM is actually pretty good!

It’s only a matter of time, look at all the touch developments already, the new desktop surface, those raven mti screens, bitwig and fl studio. And they run a full windows OS, not the bs, workaround laden iOS music making environment. iPad Pro is a joke, how is anything pro with that OS?
I have tried reason on a surface pro 3 and it is amazing, and so much more powerful than gadget, even without multi touch implemented yet!
And I am writing this from an iPad full of music apps, and other than Animoog I would have no real regrets never using them again.

1 Like

It’s not a tablet, right? It’s a full blown computer. A computer which isn’t tied to a mobile operating system. I expect the premise is extremely attractive to established computer developers. As opposed to uHe wringing their hands over iOS synths creeping, it’s a matter of making it touch capable and, boom, Diva without the mouse.

Well, it’s a computer that’s also a tablet. Without the tablet part, people wouldn’t be as interested in the Surface line.

I was hoping multitouch support would have spread faster and further in the music software world than it has. It’s a disappointment that Bitwig is the only multitouch software for that platform.

Sticking to my aging but still functional iPad as one of my mobile music making machines. Glad to also have the OP-1, Volcas, and PO-20 as options as well. :sunglasses:

Does anybody have any info on how to use the Circuit to midi control/sequence my iPad? A simple google search doesn’t appear to be pulling up the necessary info to get me rolling.

also, does anybody have any experience with this app?

Yes, this track was made entirely with Stroke Machine:

1 Like

Anyone delved deep into bluetooth midi controllers? Novation Launch control looks perfect with the inclusion of Bluetooth midi! Pretty please?
I don’t need more wires or dongles in my life.

I’ve always tooled around with iOS music apps, for the most part at the start they weren’t too useful. Happy to say that’s changed quite a bit.

Cubasis 2 has been a lot of fun recently for me. As a Cubase user this one is cool but it can get chaotic with all the windows that take up real estate on the screen. You can bounce out mixes with FX tails and bring them to the computer for further editing. I wish it would allow export as .CPR so you could just bring it to Cubase.

Anyone here use Borderlands or audio palette? Both are great for noise-shaping and chaos. I’ve been creating samples with them to use on the computer, lots of fun.

I want to give Borderlands Granular some love, as I’ve barely used it since I bought it, when it came out… I think the fact that it doesn´t seem to work inside AUM made me put it aside… it needs to be updated

although unrelated to the first post, I finally got SeekBeats… at first I was hesitant because I already have a couple of drum machines (Patterning and Elastic Drums, wich is algo synthesis-based)… I’ve got to say, maybe it’s the novelty speaking, but it has become my favorite drum machine, sound-wise. You can get some really Machinedrum-esque sounds out of this - really pure, clear synthesis… of course it doesn’t have nearly the depth of a MD, but it’s a lot cleaner than Elastic Drums (wich I bought the sampler extension for - and now I’m pairing the two apps together… we’ll see what happens)

2 Likes

I’ll investigate! I tried that iMaschine 2 app with the ultimate expansion and that surprised me with how much fun that is! Hour long bus rides just flew by playing on that thing.

Patterning is a lot of fun too. Shame apps can’t be more than 16 steps though

Patterning can be a lot of steps! actually each track can be as many steps as you want (within a limit, but far beyond 16 steps), and with different playing modes (forward, reverse, random, pendular); it also has an auto rotate function that can shift an X number of steps on each repetition…
for polyrythmic fun in Ipad, it certainly is one of the best apps, imo.

1 Like

Is this in song mode? Or can I actually rig more steps from the drum wheel?

ModStep and Nord Drum 2 are a match made in heaven, make your own ModStep template and off you go.
Blofeld is even better though, just plug the iPad directly in the USB plug of the Blofeld!