iPad Music Apps?

+1 for Samplr.

It’s genuinely the reason I bought an iPad.

3 Likes

I looked at that a little bit, but you make a really compelling argument! You have any sound samples from what you made with the app?

My sample game is a little lacking with only my Borderlands Granular and Strom(both are fantastic apps!(Though I do feel that the Borderlands is a bit limited in what it can do, but it’s a beautiful app). So I’ll definitely check that out along with, Elastic Drums, and Patterning for my next round of app purchases, and probably iDensity due to it supposedly being more controllable with granular.

After that, probably FieldScaper and SoundScaper.

Thanks!

Anybody have any experience with that Waldorf Nave?

1 Like

I do. It’s awesome. Nuff said :grin:

2 Likes

I personally am not in love with Nave. Not yet. I think it comes down to user error, tbh. Part of the reason is that I do not like it’s FX and I think those are essential to wavetable / drawn out, modulated pads. I have yet to send it through other FX, so we’ll see.

I’d like to know how others feel about it (and maybe some tips?) to determine if I’m crazy or not…

I run Nave into Ableton and use the fx there. But I do like the way it sounds right off the bat. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I really dig a lot of the presets and haven’t gone super deep in programming it myself. @Ryan you should definitely check out Addictive Synth if you haven’t. Probably my favorite synth app. Awesome modulation options, draw your own waveforms for LFO, filter etc, randomize functions… It’s killer.

1 Like

I appreciate it!

1 Like

Do you record dry of Nave’s FX with Ableton or use Ableton’s FX in addition to Nave’s?

Some of the presets are nice. But almost every one of them is drenched in FX and once pulled back don’t sound so hot.

But, as you said, personal preference.

I keep trying though and the other day I went deep into the wave editor. Came back up with some potential gems. I’ll keep at it…

Usually I turn down Nave’s fx a bit. Depends on the preset. Some of them I use as is.

Not at my main computer but it’s all over this (poorly recorded) live set https://soundcloud.com/domharwood/live

Used for arps, glitches, risers, drums, vocal cut ups, stretches/granular bizniz, tape fx, melodic parts…

(Nave sounds p good)

2 Likes

Okay. Not only have you sold me on this app, I now am inspired to put together a set and play live. That was fun stuff! Thank you for sharing!

What other gear/apps are you using on this performance?

EDIT: Traffic sounds at around 25:00 were excellent choices to add to the mix

Thanks man - yeh like I say it’s the reason I bought an iPad.

That was Ableton, Eowave Domino, Volca Beats, Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer + Samplr
These days I use Ableton, Traktor, Analog 4, Analog RYTM + Samplr.

The traffic is done live on Samplr :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as controllers go, I’m tempted by the new Linnstrument. At $999 it’s a bit more affordable than its big brother. Linn also added a step sequencer, release velocity, and other software updates.

1 Like

Dang sir!
Were you playing Samplr live or mostly using pre recorded parts?

There’s plenty of pre-recorded parts running from Live but I use Samplr to improvise with the same sound palette as whatever track I’m playing at the time.

Sometimes it’s just little touches and other times you end up making an entirely different version of a track while playing, it’s fun.

2 Likes

Not fair…just bought a nvidia sheild (android) tablet…some well good music apps on ipad…bout time they bounced them over to android…korg gadget looks well good, i must say.

If anything I’d say surface pro will be the next music tablet

1 Like

That is a wild, wild stretch. The iOS ecosystem for music production is mature and diverse. Would you like to name some apps that take advantage of the tablet interface that are only available on Windows? (Not holding my breath).

^Bitwig!

Fl studio