iPad Music Apps?

I’ve had it for four years, it’ll only take a day, and I’ll probably feel like I have a new IPad afterwords…
I probably don’t have to do it at all, but it’ll be the only way to qualm my ocd computer geek side, so I have to. :joy:

I was a sucker and bought the maxed out version, if I got the minimum version I could have saved half the money and used it to buy a faster minimum one later… :smile: Oh well, you learn as you go…

1 Like

I for one think this ups the sound quality a degree or two.

Thanks for doing the test.

I’ve read one should do full reset before each new (full) iOS update. That it’s like in a car connecting systems to a new engine as opposed to connecting a new engine to the systems.

Which is why I asked. Sounds right and Ive never done it…

There’s reset available in the settings and then restore using iTunes. Not sure if you meant restore…
But anyway, the “reset all settings” is deeper than just clearing what you set in there. I’m not sure exactly what it does but it wipes a few internal caches and some other under the hood stuff that you never see. I’ve done one of those after every OS update. I went from 6 to 7 to 8 like that and it remains faster than when I got it up to today still running 8.

Restore wipes everything and reinstalls, so it is the best way to make sure there’s the least possible issues… It might not be needed because IPads are good at staying stable, but for the sake of making sure things are running the best they can on a music creation Pad, I don’t mind doing it for iOS 11 and its new file system…

And yeah, an audio interface through the Lightning port sounds absolutely better than a wire out of the headphone jack. The IPad DAC’s at least until the Air (I don’t know about after because I stopped researching them when I got one) aren’t that great and neither is its analog headphone output. I use an iconnect to send the audio digitally over to my computer and out an apogee, and the difference between that and the headphone output is dramatic really…

2 Likes

Off-topic I know but, Guys, whatever you do, please dont install PUBG mobile on your iPad! My spouse got the bug and all my iOS music time has disappeared :loopy:

Its just crazy what you can get for free these days… :nyan: If we aint getting spoiled by all this software, I dunno who will…

3 Likes

“When it’s free you are the product” :smirk::stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Funny, my first run with full fidelity Pad audio was Animoog, literally the first thing I tried…
The headphone is good to have do doubt, but I remember a huge smile when I heard animoog out of the apogee for the first time.

3 Likes

For sure. I mean if ones not in a position to get a dedicated interface the headphone out is def usable.

But with an interface (and MIDI) it goes from “nice” to “Whoa” imo.

1 Like

Still so good. I think its the app that made everyone’s heads turn and unleashed the flood in which we find ourselves trying to keep float. Beautiful marriage of touch UI and great sound.

3 Likes

I would actually like a nice little compact interface because currently I have to run an agreaggate device with the Iconnect and apogee and route the audio with a computer. It’s wonderful at home but not any sort of portable solution if you got to bring a computer, another interface, and the iconnect just to get the audio out… Great for home though…

It’s probably good I don’t have one though to get me back to my original intentions for the Pad. The plan for the Pad and the Iconnect is to make a template on lemur or similar that accesses the most used features or parameters of my rig all on one page… I have a wifi router hooked up to the connect and I have a microphone stand mount for the IPad so I can clip it there and be able to play guitar and sing and just reach down and have acesss to pattern changes, mutes, crossfader maybe, fx, whatever I need most…

It’s been like 4 years and I still haven’t done that… :joy: I’ve had a lot of fun with the IPad but I need to force myself to put it on controller duty. There’s a lot of fun apps and I love to have the Elektrons, computer, and IPad all connected to each other passing audio and midi everywhere. It’s awesome but there’s just no way I’m ever bringing all of that along with my instruments anywhere… Must force controller duties…

Why not just sell the iconnect on and get one of their interfaces?

1 Like

naww man, neither of us allow microphone access nor any facebook scheisse to the app :diddly: Not dropping a dime on them IAPs either.

1 Like

If the midi is as thorough that’s not a bad idea, then I’d at least have the option to be portable…

But I get endlessly distracted with audio experiments that are great fun but don’t get me closer to getting my project ready for launch… I Really I need to focus on OT and Rytm the most, I have enough sound sources for live and so the IPad’s not going to come anyway, unless I set it up as a controller…
It’s either that or some kind of foot controller…

The IPad does so much stuff I’m more than happy I got it even if it doesn’t make it out… And it’s just an excellent multipurpose audio device for experiments at home. I even used the IPad once to take me to an amazing natural hot spring way out in nature… The cell service ran out but the map wss downloaded and the gps continued to work and got me there. It was a interesting moment of using advanced technology to get me to pristine nature…

1 Like

For nauts in California, this app will take you to amazing natural mineral water to soak in some beautiful setting… After that you’ll feel so good it can only help your music… Maybe there’s similar apps for other places, I don’t know…

1 Like

I bought Animoog at the same time as the model D app, just because it was cheap and I’ve heard others talk about it. I’ve spend much more time messing with Animoog than the Model D since. So easy (and fun!) to make interesting sounds/pads/FX to sample with my DT!

4 Likes

Good choice.

Don’t forget DT CCs (if you have a midi interface). Wild stuff.

3 Likes

That ain’t the hardwares fault :wink:

1 Like

No, it’s just my tendencies to explore interesting temporal sonic fluctuations instead of focusing on the unified field theory of beats, bass, rhythm, and melody, etc… Wouldn’t matter what hardware I was referring to really…

1 Like

One most strive for the grand unified theory.

1 Like

Finally, a competitor to Impaktor, and by AAS no less:

I think I still have the fancy piezo pickup that I got to use with Impaktor lying around

2 Likes