iPad Music Apps?

There are good arguments on both sides. I put good long thought into a 30usd app but 5usd moog is, yes, a no brainer.

But it’s a good point: i should do an inventory of what ive spent vs use and see where i am.

2 Likes

I think it might be better not to. Ignorance is bliss.

Thinking about this does not make me happy:
Spent: hundreds
Use: 1%

2 Likes

Agreed, a maccies burger costs more and certainly doesn’t last as long

1 Like

Try the patch “Human Law” from classics section. I hear clear differences between Boog and Moog iOS app in favor of Boog. Does this patch sound identical for you?

So I tried the “Human Law” patch as you said. The Behringer sounds a lot brighter I had to reduce the cutoff a bit and the filter emphasis by almost a quarter to make them sound about the same (you can still hear differences though).

https://soundcloud.com/normalogic/model-d-app-vs-boog/s-I7y2O

Both sound cool, one is obviously a bit warmer. Guess which one is the analog (they alternate twice) :wink:

3 Likes

Behringer the second one…?
The first has more resonance

1 Like

I’ve had my OmPad air for probably 4 years now. There’s probably a few hundred dollars of apps on there but they’ll work until the device is toast, and then if I do get another IPad most of the apps do get free updates for the later iOS versions, and you can just grab them again from the App Store… Some of my $5 apps have been updated for every iOS version since 6…

I think if you plan on keeping the iPad and using it until it doesn’t work anymore and don’t buy too many apps, it’s not to bad… And then you can still redownload most of the apps if you get another Pad…

3 Likes

Yeah- whichever one the second one was- sounded better. Regardless of if it’s iMoog or the Booger

1 Like

It goes:
Behringer Model D / iPad Moog Model D / Behringer Model D / iPad Moog Model D

:grinning:

So I guess the app is as good as anything as producing sound… As for the test, it’s not rocket science: the perfect reproduction of the iPad patch on the Behringer sounded a lot more different than what I made it sound in the end (in an effort to sonically match the app).

6 Likes

haha.

Yeah. The bass on the Behringer was more pronounced; it had more presence. The Moog sounded cleaner tho.

But well amazing. Thanks for doing that.

How did you record the pad?

And out of curiosity how were you guessers listening to it? I was on my ATHM50 out of the pad headphone jack.

The iPad Moog sounded clearer also because the OSCs were a little more in tune, which gave it a little chorus. I didn’t put much attention into doing things perfectly (and I’m not sure that I would be able to make a perfect match, or that it’s even possible).

The iPad was recorded via its line out going through a Fireface UCX, same for the Behringer. Notes were send via a MIDI cable to the Behringer and from the MIDI THRU port to the iPad thanks to a iConnect MIDI2. I didn’t use a specialized audio interface for the iPad.

From my point of view, the app is an excellent book of presets for the analog synth. What I like with the analog Model D is precisely that it’s not rocket science, and that when you tweak buttons there are way more happy incidents than with an app with presets were (and I speak for myself) I know I won’t tweak shit.

That being said, I might even play the app alongside the Behringer Model D (and the Sub37, and the SE-02, and Monark instances, and Diva instances). I like when everything plays together, I like substractive synth sounds, and every single one has a preset or small functionalities every other one can only imitate.

2 Likes

Does anyone have an actual model D to throw into the mix out of curiosity? Gonna give the clips a listen properly when I get in

I’m holding out hope for this, still rumored to be coming this year:

iOS 12 and new MacOS may let Mac users download iPad apps

1 Like

THAT WOULD BE INSANE!!! Apple would KILL it with their 5-10 dollar plugins compared to all other ones.

That would be INSANE!

Animoog! On my iMac! MitoSynth! On my iMac!

1 Like

That would be a killer feature!

With the sounds recorded earlier (same phrase played by the Behringer model D and the iPad Moog Model D) I made a small track to illustrate how both are usable in a mix alongside: https://soundcloud.com/normalogic/elektronauts-model-d/s-HrzRJ

Good luck finding one that is left ear and the one that is on the right. :rofl:

A coworker lent me a good book on minimalism called The Joy of Less.

One of the best takeaways for me was what the author calls differentiating between the real you and the fantasy you. The fantasy (rock star) me needs a room full of gear, but the real me has very limited time for making music so would be best served by fewer distractions and a streamlined approach. Sorry to go off topic, just glad I remembered that. Haha.

5 Likes

Seems @thelightshineth was pretty on the spot…

My 4 year old air still gets 11 hours of web surfing off of the battery and it’s been on pretty much all day the whole four years… Some people get concerned about leaving them charging connected to an Iconnect or something but IOS does have battery management. When it reads %100 it’s actually somewhere between %95 to %100 and it lets it drop from 100 to 95, charge back, drop again, while it always says %100. These type of batteries in general like movement as far as charge or deplete one way or the other, that takes care of that behind the scenes. If you ever aren’t going to use it for weeks or months it’s recommended to drain the battery to %50…

Latency gets lower using an audio interface than the speaker or headphones, but they might have improved that since the air. Still I bet an interface through the Lightning port will get you the lowest latency…

Never used GarageBand, opened it and looked a few times but that’s about it. I don’t know if it’s that bad though it might be good… :thinking:

I haven’t done a full reset from iTunes but I’ve “reset all settings” from the settings app a few times, basically keeps all of your apps but puts the IPad back to a default state.
iPads are hard to mess up because of their lockeddowness, resets aren’t needed to often really…

In general IPads are pretty low maintainence, they’re pretty much designed so that you don’t have to think about this stuff, I completely understand being concerned though…

2 Likes

Yeah that’s actually important to note. Generally there really is no reason to reset stuff. When I mention doing lots of resets that’s because I have restartitis (term I use referring to starting over in video games, but applies here too) …

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve used the reset all setting to clear some lingering things from apps when there was no other way, but that’s about it. I’ve never done an ITunes restore. I’m still cruising on IOS 8 but there was a new file system introduced around 10.3… At some point I’m going to jump to 11 because there are some features available for some of my apps that don’t work on 8, and its stuff I can use…

Considering a new file system and a 3 OS version jump, I think it’ll be best to completely wipe the storage, fresh install 11 with its new file system from ITunes, re download all the apps instead of restoring from backup, and then forget about it for the next three years… :slight_smile:

Might not be necessary but it will leave me feeling like I did everything the best I could do to make sure an older pad gets a good upgrade… Basically a “clean install”…

That sounds like what I would do for sure, but again, restartitis. :wink:
I’m sure you could get away with just upgrading and not thinking about it any more, realistically probably won’t notice any difference.

What sucks for me is that my iPad was RIGHT before they switched over to a different type of processor. The mini 4’s have the newer one, but not the regular 4’s which is what I have, and so I cannot use a lot of newer music apps as more and more are requiring the newer processor. I’m also maxed out at 10.3 or whatever the last 10 was, can’t move to 11.

Also what sucks is that I paid $500 for this thing and current gens are much cheaper and much better. Just saw something about how they’re gonna come out with new $250 iPads. I’ll probably cave and get one…

1 Like