iPad Music Apps?

You cannot do this in iDensity. You can in Borderlands Granular. That’s why I keep and use both.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you mean. Of course you can play up to six files at the same time in iDensity. There used to be an old incarnation of iDensity that only had a single stream, but that is years ago. The latest version is much more powerful.

1 Like

Ah you are right, there are multiple streams now:

However, I will decide for myself if Borderlands needs to be deleted from my iPad now. :wink: Everyone has his/her own workflow/UI preferences. I can already see there’s still something different enough to hesitate before deleting the other app.

Collider - For The Analog Rytm by Marcos Kohler

Put in your password and prepare for a journey into Rytmland…

3 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind if I ever get a Rytm. :wink:

Oh balls!

2 Likes

Finally got this installed after having to update iTunes to update my iPad to a compatible OS. Then I had to leave for work. Can’t wait to play with this when I get home!

Ace! Apple don’t make anything easy do they?
Report your findings when you recover!
Be sure to back up your work on the Rytm just incase, I mean I’ve not had any problems at all but Collider is so good you can quickly start eating up your pattern slots!
I have a Collider specific project to keep things tidy!

1 Like

For all you Gadget users, check the new Arp Odyssei synth! Just bought it, and this seems to be really useful within the Gadget paradigm. A flexible synth with a decent sound. Has IAA and Audiobus too I guess?

Korg Gadget with Bilbao (custom drum samps), iM1, Kamata and Odyssei = Techno for days!

EDIT: Oh man, I cannot get over how good Odyssei sounds! Makes me GAS hard for a real, hardware 6-voice poly Arp Odyssey (3x desktops polychained). what a sublime instrument!

2 Likes

Current recommendations for external controllers for iPad? I’ve used my OP-1 with the iPad via Camera Connection Kit in the past with mixed results, but I think there’s a certain sequence you have to plug it in for each side to recognize the other as a USB Class device or some such nonsense.

It’d be nice to ditch the cable though. I’m looking at Korg NanoKey Studio to also use (via Oplab) on occasion with Volcas and Monomachine and the like. Or Arturia Keystep. Seems like it comes down to one of those. I like the battery functionality of NanoKey and its bluetooth midi and its extended set of controls, and I’ll probably be using with Korg Software a lot of the time. But Keystep has that traditional midi connection for easier connection to other gear without a USB-Midi host…

1 Like

Bluetooth midi, eh? That sounds legit! I was fixing to use the op1 to control it, but it would be cool to just have my Zoom H6 to legit record audio in and wirelessly do midi!

1 Like

Novation Circuit my friend!

Enjoy a hardware sequencer with midi CC automation and pad control!

There are 5 different pages of macro controls, 2 polyphonic synth sequencers, a 4 note drum channel, and tons of session/ scenes!

… plus it has 2 built in synths and a sampler :astonished:

Heh! I have a Circuit already. I like it but I’m not overly enamored with its synth engine. So I’m trying to use the iPad to stop from buying hardware for a bit until I can find the sound I want :slight_smile: So that’s why I’m looking at Korg Gadget again (just those tape string synth sounds on one of the gadgets have me over the moon - and this is from someone with a Streichfett) and the Oddysei app/gadget and maybe some stuff from Waldorf that I’ve been ignoring that may better guide me towards hardware in the future.

I just found that I really don’t like playing iPad synths on glass.

1 Like

I guess I could try the Circuit as an iPad controller tonight. But since it’s not built as a controller, you can’t really re-assign its macro knobs to tailer them to a specific app or other device. However it does have USB Midi and maybe it’ll be enough to just help me play some of the iPad synths again and get a feel for them. Maybe it’ll give me a better feel over whether I want a pad-based controller (like NanoKey Studio) or a more traditional keyboard. I’ve been leaning towards pads lately.

I pre ordered the Korg Nanokey Studio due to it’s tight integration with Gadget but I literally took it out of the box, tried it, hated it and requested a return slip.
It was a nice size but did not integrate that well with Gadget as promised (yes I had the latest version of G), it just felt a bit flimsy and I didn’t want to give a further chance. I wasn’t expecting a slab of metal or anything but I just didn’t take to it from the off.
I’ve given up controlling the iPad now, just use audio, I can’t be arsed…

1 Like

Whoa whoa what?! You can assign “midi learn” on every synth Parameter in the gadget synths… no need to change the circuit’s CCs

i really like abandoning the onboard sounds from the circuit altogether and running a layout of 1 poly & 1 mono (plus usually DM1 drums) in AUM and then using the HH macros(ch10) to control Send FX in Turnado.

Then Ch16 midi (the mixer page and the big filter knob) are set to control the dry/wet levels and AUM channel volumes.

This kinda setup basically uses the iPad as a much more powerful brain for T gen circuit’s sounds, while letting the circuit hardware function as a tactile controller and sequencer… it’s really fun to automate the iPad apps from hardware!

1 Like

Cool! Thanks for the tips! I hadn’t even considered the Circuit for this. I’ve previously wanted to use it with some hardware synths but found that aside from playing notes it wasn’t much use. I kindof forgot software can have “MIDI Learn” :laughing: (the controller I have attached to my computer is an ancient Novation Remote25LE whose knobs have decayed to uselessness so I haven’t used them in years).

Since you may have saved me some money on controller hardware, I can check out some of these newer apps! (I keep hearing of AUM and the like but haven’t used it).

2 Likes

Honestly I haven’t seen any YouTube videos were other tutorials of people using their circuit like this, so I’ll probably make one on YouTube because there is so much potential.
I would imagine that the new electribe can do similar functions; but the circuit seems to be perfect for the job.

2 Likes

The es2 would probably work quite well for controlling iPad synths, but mine is currently loaned to someone who probably gets more use out of it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Speaking of externally sequencing iPad apps, how’s the timing?I often find the timing on iOS to be slubpar, especially if using IAA and multiple apps simultaneously…

The new electribes are great for sequencing apps!
And midi timing has not been an issue for me, I sequence them from either my MPC or my octatrack and mix the apps in AUM, no problem.
The small issue I’ve encountered has been sampling those iPad sequences into the octatrack, sometimes the timing seems a little off.
I use an alesis io dock 2.