iPad Music Apps?

When you buy apps that have a sequencer, make sure they have at least midi sync capability (and a bonus of) midi in and (a super bonus) midi out.

Most people here have Elektron/hardware gear and IMHO, apps that lack that are pretty much useless, maybe good for sampling.

But that’s my opinion. YMMV

1 Like

I’ve allways thought that Ipads were a prime example of “buy more stuff, spend money on more electronics that you dont need”. But now I’m in the situation where I’m about to buy one because I’ll use it for my work.

So, are there any really good apps out there for music making, and what do you guys use? I’m a hardware guy, so I think that the touchscreen will make me go back to hardware - but are there any apps that i should try out, and what do you guys use?

I make minimal distorted beats in the spirit of rasternoton and pansonic-ish kinda thing, so anything useful in that context, would be appriciated :slight_smile:

Cheers

Have fun :slight_smile: Everything that could be answered was probably already mentioned in this thread

4 Likes

Patterning is wonderful.

I mainly use the iPad pro as a multitimbral synth module together with the Digitakt. Digitakt USB out into iPad camera connection kit usb in -> Control 8 midi tracks via Digitakt. I love using Korg Gadget like this. Mono/Poly, Wavestation, M1, and loads of other cool gadgets all controllable via Digitakt. It’s a great workflow.

There’s an iPad music app thread here at elektronauts with lot’s of good info.

Edit: unifono was faster. :wink:

2 Likes

Cheers lads - thanks for the quick answers!!

You sold your rytm?? why, if I may ask? (just curious)

I am getting fed up with all this iOS fisher price app limitations. I’m finally going to get audulus. See you on the other side :diddly:

2 Likes

you can also use WiFi Drive in Audioshare - that way you can navigate through your recordings with your browser and download them directly, without uploading… my preferred method for downloading audio recordings nowadays.
takes a little while, but still easier and faster than uploading/downloading again

1 Like

Hadn’t used it in a long time. OT MKII and tM-2 were doin the job for drums fine.

Mark Boyd of late has been promising MIDI out, and AU support, among other things, for Audulus. Huge update when it comes.

Another app to explore for deep diving is SunVox.

1 Like

For digital drums SeekBeats is great. Easy to sync, performance, randomiser, great sound.

Don’t bother with ElasticDrums, crap app, hard to sync. I deleted it.
But that’s my opinion YMMV.

1 Like

I think I am finally getting somewhere with my ”content building workflow” and the iPad.

I have been struggling to reuse any work made on my various rigs and elektron boxes, but now I think I’ve finally found a workable solution.

It involves recording manually synced audio into Gadget (via the Zurich recorder gadget) and relying on icloud project sync for getting that audio automagically into my project studio laptop later on. From there, export the Gadget project into ableton for stem mixing, and then exporting premixed stems as audio tracks into my MPC live (as audiotracks or clip progs) or octatrack (as flex loops or static audio tracks).

The missing link for me was icloud sync, Zurich Gadget and recording into it on the fly. As long as you offset the input latency manually by tempp nudging the elektrons, you can pull off OT-esque resampling tricks. It works better than I epected!

Korg Gadget is the must-have app to me. I’ve built entire tracks solely from that app- some of the tracks I still love dearly.

And the Korg Gadget method of programming percussion is just perfect- just a wonderful, wonderful method more easily capable of composing intricate rhythms

Just bought the nanokey studio for Gadget use. Pure gold for any Gadget enthusiast! Will be also getting the nanokontrol studio soon. Having hands-on for most aspects of Gadgetting will speed things up even more :diddly:

The bluetooth 4.0 MIDI latency is surprisingly decent, very usable. The knob automapping also works great, although some of the default knob mappings have me wondering ”why??”

1 Like

Love Gadget too, got my Ipad in an Alesis IO Dock and A Doepfer Drehbank to control 128 Parameters in Realtime= Best Groovebox ever…
@tsutek nice Bonus about the Korg controllers at the moment is the “Reason Limited” License you got with it…that allows you to upgrade to Reason 10 for 99$ at the moment! Let me know if you got a License left :wink:

oh? Didn’t know that, thanks for the tip. I actually have a friend who will be very pleased to hear this!

cheers

1 Like

have you played around with this combination yet? i’m curious about how well an ipad headphone jack’s output levels could mix within a DN if you gainstage the DN’s internal tracks properly, for travel jamming purposes. have mine arriving in a couple days so i can’t test for myself yet

Never tried gadget cause i didn‘t like that it‘s such a closed system.
Maybe that‘s not very smart :slightly_smiling_face:

Bought beatmaker instead but don‘t really like the interface.
Aum works best for me so far

New promising granular synth

2 Likes

That’s a valid point- maybe my tech isn’t as up to date as it should be, but I can’t run more than three apps on AUM while I can run long lists of instruments on Gadget. Not to mention Gadget makes up for it’s closed-off atmosphere by being very interconnected where you can move between apps with swift ease.

And the instruments are pretty good sounding.

1 Like