iPad Music Apps?

You can create different configurations in dictator mode. Not sure if you can assign each via MIDI for quick switching. I do have the eight effects assigned to pads as MIDI notes. I then go into the settings of each and configure it how I like it so that I press a pad to get a certain level of effect. But I use the faders mostly on my Launch Control XL to adjust the effects. I love that controller for iOS apps since its gives three rows of eight knobs, eight faders, and 16 pads. I just bought an Octatrack yesterday for the first time and can see that the Launch Control XL would actually make a great controller for it so I can avoid some menu diving (plus Iā€™m not the biggest fan of endless encoders).

AD1C6F72-E512-46AD-BBCE-DEC7A5EA450C

Okay so you have 8 effects numbered 1-8 on the right there, on the left that 1-8 are your effects. The coloured bars are where they turn on, the centre of those bars means the effect is fully on. The fader on the side is the dictator, move it and all the knobs turn at once. Each effect on there has a sub menu where you can tweak it in detail, and your presets are different setups of effects. Each preset saves its dictator setup too. Another fun thing is mapping the fader to dry/wet on the top there. Also there are tons of effects to choose from, so from those you can set up 8 effects and automate them all in fine detail with one fader. You can also randomise the dictator with the little dice on the left

This adds pretty funny, for the computer version but whateverā€¦
Should answer all your questions @Ryanā€¦ :upside_down_face::joy:

Thought Iā€™d also mention that I sometimes use the iPad turnado as a midi controller for the turnado audio unit in logicā€¦
This way I donā€™t get the extra latency of running audio through the iPad, and since the iPad is not processing the audio, I can background turnado and switch to another IPad app with plenty of cpu for it to useā€¦
With ICM4+ and a router I can control it wirelessly evenā€¦ and it feels like your just using the iPad appā€¦ :monkey_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, iOS music has really stepped up over the last year or two. For iPad especially, but also amazed by what I can do on my iPhone SE.

Multi-track export, Ableton set export, Ableton Link for syncing, AU synths and effects.

Another thing worth checking if you havenā€™t is Studiomuxā€¦ can route midi and multi-track all your audio tracks into Ableton using only the lightning cable!

2 Likes

Yeah, Midimux and Studiomux are awesome (although sometimes buggy)

3 Likes

Iā€™m having he hardest time sending my Ableton sequencer to studiomux- any advice? I can successfully get the sound from my iPad into Ableton. I can play on my push and keyboard and have it work on my iPad- but when I try to lay down a sequence- nothing(even on the Push2 step sequencer it the lads play a note)

Iā€™m trying to watch videos- but Iā€™ve got Track and Remote listed for every for every available device and nothing

Might be a bug with latest version, I just tried it and the first Studiomux plugin I loaded received the audio but couldnā€™t send it midi from Ableton. Sorted it by deleting that track and creating some new midi tracks with Studiomux generator plugins which are working fine with midi and audio. Simple fix but worth a try! Could just be the first instance of the plugin you load doesnā€™t receive midi for some reason.

Think you only need to select track, remote, sync if you are trying to sequence/play an Ableton instrument with an iOS app. I have all those options turned off and it still sends the midi to my apps.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! Iā€™ll give it a try! Iā€™ve heard the thing was buggy- so I couldnā€™t determine if he issue was the app or user error! I do recall loading a second one up at the beginning and it actually worked.

Thanks!

BTW, when was the last update?

2 Likes

Funny thing happened. After restoring Auxy into my new iPad Mini 4, days later I noticed on my last page of Apps that it had also been downloaded to my iPhone SE.
I opened it up and all my projects were already synchronized. Total bonus. Iā€™ll take this future over the flying cars future, thank you very much.

Also, I hear there is a large Auxy update imminent. Sample import and better sync capabilities with other apps are expected.

2 Likes

Yeah. I love that iOS feature

That feel when youā€™ve been recording all your loops and trimming them, naming them, and then exporting them into Mobilelite app to be fed to OT, and then you find out BM3 spits out perfectly trimmed normalized loops straight into Mobilelite for easy octa export :joy:

4 Likes

Are any of you getting terrible clock from an external source (OT) on Elastic Drums? Patterning seems fine, but itā€™s all over the place in ED, drifting from almost -1bpm to +1bpm.

How are you all doing MIDI? Routing through AUM (or other) from external or direct from external source? All iPad apps using same app sequencer?

Am I the only one whoā€™s not gelling with Elastic Drums?

Iā€™m not really a fan of it either- but I didnā€™t want to impede on everyone elseā€™s parade

1 Like

great stuff

2 Likes

Yeah- Iā€™ve had a bit of luck combining the various sequencers. Mainly the Bassline being modulated with Cells- just because itā€™s a huge pain to program extended melody lines-never collider with LFO.

Iā€™ve been trying to work with Elastic Drums alongside Patterning with AUM, during the composition phase.
Sync isnā€™t always tight. But I can work around it as I render multitrack Ableton sets from both apps and combine the sounds there.

Otherwise yea, I gel alright with it.

Now that is a feature worth checking BM3 out for! Thanks for the tip.

not sure, as Iā€™ve never tried it. Somehow doesnā€™t appeal to me at all.