iPad Music Apps?

I have had turnado for a while but have never really committed anything to it. Just messed around a bit. Should give it another try.

1 Like

Which model iPads are you folks utilizing?

My previous was an iPad Air 1.
Never skipped a beat.

This new iPad Mini 4 with the 2GB ram and A8 is quite snappy, running Patterning + Elastic Drums with AUM (the trio are electro heaven). All while controlling the Netflix show my wife is watching on the fire stick.

Itā€™s also been better than I expected for racing games.

I would love to see an OS X / iOS bridge some day. These are fast enough to be the cpu brains for Push 2 and Maschine 3. And I think it is more on Apple to provide that bridge (see Windows on a surface pro) than developers to have to port to iOS.
Would also be great for running Overbridge!

1 Like

Mini 4 here. It holds up well, although a large project in BM3 with a couple banks running drum samples and a couple AU plugins + a good amount of fx will do the crackles. BM3 is hungry tho. Luckily I donā€™t use it in that way any more, just create loops for OT

1 Like

Iā€™m rocking an Air 1 and an iPhone(mostly the iPhone as I can use it whenever I feel awkward-which is most often always)

Question about the Moog Model 15, someone mentioned in a review that it works best with a fairly large iPad Pro- whatā€™s the sound design capability of it in regards to smaller models? Given its modular environment, it doesnā€™t seem to be open to viewing certain sections at a time

Anyone using Impaktor? I am thinking about experimenting with this to try to get some organic percussion samples for the DT.

1 Like

Yeah! I think it sounds really good. It responds dynamically to velocity through the mic which is pretty fun

1 Like

Iā€™m not really sure if I get what youā€™re asking :grinning:
but the gui is very big, you canā€™t see the whole synth on the screen so you have to scroll up and down. I looks beautiful and the scrolling works nicely but it can get very confusing the more cables you patch. this is solved better in other software modularsā€¦ I tend to make simpler bass patches with it, without using too much cables.

but it sounds awesome

1 Like

Running the first gen iPad Pro 9,7ā€ (2016 model?) 128GB

I can constantly max out the CPU when using IAA / AU synths. Only environment that runs relatively usably for me is Korg Gadget.

It sounds great and the knobs are very responsive but super hungry. I have an ipad pro 12incher and i get crackles sometimes if i run 2 instances and a reverb. If you keep the visuals Off screen and map stuff to controllers (no app switching) it handles better.

I had turnado on my old iPad, itā€™s cool but definitely on the extreme end of FX. Itā€™s a bit like the octatrack in how it turns things into something completely different and unintended. Quite cool, surprised they ported it from VST honestly

heh

Turnado is really cool for glitchy fx, Iā€™ve been really digging Effectrix lately too for a little more controllable sequenceable fx. Turnado I use for in the moment looping performances and Effectrix better for when I am making tracks. Samplr and Turnado is a classic combo for outlandish shit

1 Like

There is also the new elastic fx from the ED developer. Looks very promising. Might be a alternative to turnado

2 Likes

iPad4 mini here too. It only crackles when I switch apps and usually running Model15. Size is great as I get a lot done on the road.

Has anyone seen a dip in battery performance since upgrading to ios11? Iā€™m thinking of restoring the iPad and doing a fresh install. Seems thatā€™s what one should do in the event of an os upgrade.

Well, with any modular app - except perhaps iVCS3 - larger screen lets you see more with less scrolling around.

That said, Model 15ā€™s scrolling/navigation scheme is excellent and scales well to IOS devices of all sizes. Itā€™s usable even on my iPhone. Iā€™ve had no trouble getting to any region of the modular panel. If you are having problems, post your specific troublesā€¦

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m just wondering how patching different portions together work

Itā€™s surprisingly straightforward. The built-in tutorials - 2 of them I think - walk you through it.

2 Likes

Just reinstalled Auxy.
So it is free now? Cool!

A bit limiting as the options for step lengths arenā€™t very numerous, but that sequencer for melodies is instantly gratifying and the new(er) automation sequencing is very nice. I love that all these apps have multi-track audio export now. Being away from iPad music apps for a solid 18 months has me really appreciating the slow advancements that were made in the meantime.

2 Likes

For some real modulation madness pipe your Octatrack through turnado and assign the dictator to be be controlled by OTā€™s crossfaderā€¦ :smile:

6 Likes

@Open_Mike +1, great fun. I wondered if it had been done before!

1 Like

Can you switch ā€œpatternsā€ on Turnado? Because that would do well to replace scenes in a crazy way