iPad Music Apps?

Sean from valhalla did some of the algos for Eos I believe

I was tempted by the UAD platform back in the day.

Iā€™ve spent hours before trying to tweak reverb algos in my H9 - kind of fun, but could also be frustrating once my own OCD kicks in - just that feeling of a sound that I know that I want, but not being able to get there due to my inexperience with mucking about w/ the algos.

Thereā€™s a guy named italoop who used to work for Lexicon and Eventide, that some of you may have encountered on MW or other forum. The way he talks, he can make you lust for a pre-Harman era Lexicon reverb or high-end Eventide. I usually stop following whatever thread heā€™s on when he starts talking about why the Orville is better than the H9, and why the H8000 and up are better than the Orville - I need one of those high-end units like I need a hole in the head.

1 Like

I donā€™t recommend the UAD platform to anyone. its plugin crack I tell you lol

1 Like

Ah, you are right! I think thatā€™s what I read when I was researching it, and was probably the reason why I ended up buying itā€¦ But dunno, I fail to coax the sounds out from it that I want, probably just me, but I have no probs whatsoever coming up with sweet reverbs from the Fabfilter-R. I think reverb fx is a very personal thing, one mans ā€holy grailā€ reverb is anothersā€™ worst nightmareā€¦

1 Like

Enjoying researching these apps further

Think I asked earlier. Is there a standout midi controller for iPad? I prefer pads as I like drum and sample apps. Was considering the akai mpd2 controllers.

Anyone got a fav?

No standard controller - any USB controller that is class-compliant is a safe bet, along with the Camera Connector.

Akaiā€™s controllers are popular in IOS land.

I currently use a Korg Monologue and KMI QuNexus.

2 Likes

The octatrack. I use aum to host multiple synths and fx and control all with the octatrack. Next time i will use auria pro the same way. But using the excellent fabfilters and microwarmer. The fabfilter reverb is incredibly great sounding and also easy to use without really tinkering. 5 ish main knobs to get you where you want and a graphic eq that you just point anywhere and boost or cut. Pre fx and post fx. Just great.

4 Likes

Does the octatrack use midi over usb? Wanting to try something similar, wondering if Iā€™d need a midi din to usb device or not

No it doesnā€˜t do midi over usb

1 Like

Thanks for the info. usb midi cord it is!

2 Likes

Not at home so Iā€™m asking the forum :slight_smile:
can patterning send program/bank changes to the norddrum 2?
Or does somebody know any other app that can do this? In aum preferablyā€¦ In the best case automatable or even modulatable? That would be super cool. I did this with numerology, but need something for the Ipad. Lfoā€™d program and bank changes :slight_smile:
Thanks

Iā€™ve never used prog change on any device ever so hopefully someone else can illucidate us!
Modstep?

2 Likes

Avoid the gear4music one! Sent me 4, all faulty

FYI: Frum is an unbelievably fun app for being $3

Also, the Bram Bros sequencers are pretty cool, but apparently only work with AU comparable apps thereā€™s no straightforward harmony seq, but itā€™s a sequencer thatā€™s available for the iPhone which is pretty cool

I concur with all the top 5 apps mentioned thus far as (and I can countersign that ED is the balls) so Iā€™ll just mention some that are cool but havenā€™t been mentioned:

Waldorf Attack - the sequencer is pretty lame but the sound possibilities are absolutely killer. Great sampler food.

Samplr - Classic, OT-like sampler app. Get your resampling on.

Turnado - Super fun, touch controlled FX.

Audioshare - Essential for file managing.

I have yet to hook up my AR to Patterning. :man_facepalming: shame on me.

(If you have an AR, Collider is absolute must purchase.)

3 Likes

Was mentioned before but Iā€™m really hyped with this

Looks like Numerology lite for the ipad. Damn

1 Like

My top 5 apps in order:

Turnado: I can run the most basic sequence, heck I can play one note only, and turn it into an entire song just with the effects. I love running hardware synths through it too. Easily the most valuable iOS app to me.

AUM: Easy routings. Easy mixer. Makes it super easy to use hardware and iOS apps at same time.

Zeeon: Awesome synth.

Model 15: That fat Moogy sound for $30.

Rozeta: I mostly use it for the 303 Bassline app, which sends MIDI to my synths. Saved me a good bit of $$ that I otherwise would have spent on a TB-03 or TB-3.

Honorable mentions:

Beatmaker 3: a very robust app.
Korg Gagdet: A lot of great sounding synths. Because of its layout/interface, it is so easy to sketch ideas out quickly among different instruments. But because the app doesnā€™t play nice with other apps, I only use it in a limited fashion for sketching ideas. It also really needs a MIDI learn function.

1 Like

KQ MiniSynth- Universal Audio Unit, InterApp Audio Modular synth with about 100 modules for $6.
It looks cool
The KQ Dixie looks cool too(despite the lame looking Icon Art.)

Seriously. Whoever likes sequencers. Check the quantum sequencef. Amazing

Ive got this alesis one, works great @strongergodzilla

1 Like