iPad Music Apps?

To me ED is the most powerful for Drums. The sequencer is very good, automation and effects are awesome and creating synth drums is a bless with those given parameters. Synthesis wise it’s somehow more fun and faster to me than using my Norddrum 2

Patterning is also very powerful, but of course only sample based. However extremely fun. Always get great beats out of it.

Ruismaker and ruismaker fm (+ Rozeta) sounds also great for fast results and fun, but more limited.

Seekbeats sounds great and really punchy. Great synthesis options, but I didn’t like he sequencer so far

Although I have three Elektrons that can do drums very well, I really enjoy and maybe even prefer creating drums with ED or patterning

1 Like

I don’t know about ED but you can configure patterning to send midi to your drumming Elektrons…
You can live record the patterning sequences into the Elektrons, and you can get lots of variation by combing the Elektrons sequence with a patterning a sequence, playing one or the other or both at the same time for some interesting results…

1 Like

GR-16 is a fun, instant gratification groove type of app.

Most IOS apps that support polyrhythms are drum apps. If that’s what you’re looking for, there’s quite a few out there.

Just run it in AUM, then put a reverb app in its channel insert.

1 Like

Can someone link what’s considered the best vid of patterning being used?

Also I’m trying to get a rough idea looking through posts what are considered the best and priority apps to get.

Is there an overall top 5 everyone would agree on?

The best apps I have are ED, gadget and model 15 and I’d think one would make a top 5

MitoSynth is pretty darn wild- full of capability.

Ripplemaker is really addictive and an absolute blast to use

Strom is my favorite sample mangler app(even without owning a rytm)

Borderlands Granular- while less capable than iDenisty, has a much more satisfying interface.

And I have to agree on Korg Gadget being the best music making app on iOS.

Those are my current top five.

3 Likes

Yeah nice. Never tried them together.

1 Like

Eos is amazing

1 Like

Idensity is really awesome, but I struggle getting into it.
But I didn‘t spend enough time on it.

For me at the moment.

Animoog
Elastic drums
Rozeta suite
Patterning
Phasemaker

The granular apps are great. I should try strom :slightly_smiling_face:
Model 15 has the most impressive analog sound and the gui looks great, but I find the interface hard to use when you patch a lot of cables.

Animoog is my favourite synth, it‘s so great

1 Like

I gotta give some love for FAC Chorus. It’s my favorite chorus effect I’ve used, better than any of the TC Helicon pedals I used in the past.

Still all about that BM3 as a loop creator for my OT. The roll pad is really good for creating super dynamic hi hat fills. Really dig the swing too.

1 Like

Dunno about a top 5, but Korg Gadget should certainly be considered on the list. Something about it that ”just works”, although for more ”experimental” music styles it might seem too conformist at a first glance (tip - automate the hell out of things for more off-the wall results)

I like some of the UX ideas of patterning but dislike several other aspects… Something like a bastard between elastic drums, arturia iSpark (6 layer round robin!) and patterning would be ideal.

Talking about the ipad always reminds me to stop buying hardware synths😄

1 Like

Patterning controlling the ND2 is pure fun…

2 Likes

AUM, Gadget, and something by Bram Bos would be on a lot of peeps’ top 5.

AUM is the best audio routing/mixing app - very much a must-have for any IOS musician. Even comes with a cute little “keyboard” for quickly auditioning synth apps. Supports AU, IAA, and Audiobus. Has its own “host sync” too if you don’t trust MIDI sync or even Ableton Link. Can also save state for AU apps. Audiobus 3 can save state for any app it hosts but users say it is less stable than AUM.

2 Likes

Most of the time I just use AUFX:Space, though I’m also partial to Amazing Noises reverbs:- especially Gliderverb for experimental stuff.

When I just want to add a bit of reverb, Space has been the go-to, but it’s fallen behind in the AU race - might check out EOS2 eventually. Space is so light though on CPU.

1 Like

Truer words cannot be spoken, I keep itching to pair my DT with an OP-1. But I keep looking at the apps available and I can’t think of any reason to acquire it other than “but I want it”

2 Likes

not a big fan or EOS2 personally, but then I again, the only reverb I rate in iOS land is the Fabfilter-R in Auria Pro (IAP) so YMMV

Yeah, I’ve heard about that one from the Auria fans.

Most of the time I just want to throw in a bit of reverb without spending too much time on tweaking it - not really looking for an IOS answer to the great old Lexicon and AMT units. I think Ryan’s thought process is along those lines too - just sprinkel some reverb dust on top of Troublemaker, not get into this deep sound design aspect of reverb, which can be as bottomless a rabbit hole as the Black Hole of Eventide.

1 Like

Fair enough. Personally I am of the mind that iOS sound generators tend to sound better than the fx, if we compare them to what’s available on desktop computers. I’ve yet to find a single good sounding chorus/flange/phaser… Some stuff like valhallaDSP would be most welcome :diddly:

But I admit being a reverb ”snob”… After demoing the UAD RMX16extended around last xmas, I don’t even know if I like my H9 reverbs anymore :joy:

1 Like

yeah tried that.
But only sequencing, didn’t try to use cc’s. Should do that…

1 Like