iPad Music Apps?

Here we go.

Eventide on sale.

1 Like

I wish they´d do a sale on their H9 algorithms.

If anyone else didn’t notice patterning 2s had an update and now long sequences are broken into pages making it even more likes digitakt

edit: just had a go and in some ways this makes it better than DT, considering it now makes sequences up to hundreds of steps long actually useable

6 Likes

Factory, like Patterning 1, and a few others, make me realise one of those apple pen things would be quite a time saver. But it’s sure expensive for what it is. Anybody know of a good bootleg / alternative to the big A Corp’s offering?

I tried a few and found that nothing came close to the ‘magic’ pencil.

If you or someone you know is travelling you might be able to pick on up cheaper, check https://themacindex.com/products/inputs?currency=GBP&spec=apple-pencil-2 for international prices.

Also if you know any teachers or students who would be willing to pick it up for you, you can get an educational discount.

Moog is on sale now as well.

just got an ipad pro 11… could you explain how you do this ? i also have DN/DT

1 Like

I’m not sure about the iPad Pro, but I use a camera connection kit for my iPhone and iPad to connect to a little powered usb hub. This hub connects to my midi interface (that has usb and midi din) and the usb also connects to usb audio interfaces to give you a better audio connection to your elektron gear. I was able to connect my iPad to my iconnect midi interface that is connected to OT via midi din cable. Audio out from iPad over analog heat into stereo inputs on the OT.
Aum (an iOS app) has been such a recent breakthrough for me using iOS music apps as it allows me to do all of audio routing, midi routing channel assignments and mapping. Au plug-ins on iOS have made it such a more stable and pleasant environment to work in. I won’t buy a music app unless it has Au compatibility now.
I suspect that since you have midi over usb for digitakt, you may be able to connect this directly to iPad Pro from usb A to usb C as an adapter, but I can’t tell you for sure without having tested it myself. Anything with a lightning input on iOS pretty much requires a camera connection kit dongle before you can use the iPad with any other music gear connections in your studio.
You can do Bluetooth midi but performance and timing are sloppy and laggy. I wouldn’t recommend if you need sync to be tight.

4 Likes

Yeah, the pencil really opens things up, especially for busy UIs or when you need scalpel precision. Fabfilter plug ins are a joy to use now…and that’s with me on a mini 5. I did wince at the price a little but as I use the Mini for artwork too I just had to bite the bullet…

thank you sir :pray:

I thought the pencil was absolutely ridiculous at first but as an artist and designer by trade I wouldn’t give it up for anything after the year I’ve had with it. I’d recommend biting the bullet, opens up the iPad to designing your own album art + visuals too if you’re interested. Great for pros or even for someone with 0 artistic experience

1 Like

indeed. pencil + forger = never worry about free time again :nyan:

2 Likes

I use the Logitech Crayon to great effect. I think it’s only compatible with the new iPad Pros though so make sure you check compatibility. It’s half the price of the Apple Pencil 2.

Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone found a good app similar to the Digitone? I’ve tried a few FM apps but they’re all more old school FM programming.

Not really, but I’m digging NFM. Finding it closer to Ableton’s Operator than Digitone (full disclosure: I don’t have a Digitone).

Also be aware of KQ Dixie, PhaseMaker, and that various ‘do everything’ synths offer FM (there’s a 3op FM Oscillator in NanoStudio 2’s Obsidian, for instance).

And there are a few older apps like FM4 and TF7 but they’re not AUs.

1 Like

KQ and PM are more than I want. Have both and rarely use em. Heard about NFM. Still to complicated. Thanks!

FAC and Audio Damage apps on sale. Envolver here I come.

3 Likes

I am using Cubasis to record my Elektrons, but they keep gradually going out of sync with the DAW.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix for it?

Will Cubasis slave to external clock? Via Audiobus maybe? If so try to slave Cubasis to Elektrons.

Alternatively, record the audio tracks in AUM, slaved to Elektron clock and transport via Audiobus, then load them from AudioShare into Cubasis or any other DAW.