Intuitive Instruments Exquis MPE + CV controller and app

Yeah $300 USD, seems like a really good price for what this can do.

I am waiting for the user defined layout feature, but the software with this so far seems well done too.

I posted in the NAMM 2024 thread, with another video.

It’s sad to read this.
We have been very busy to focus on delivering the Exquis as soon as we can before Christmas, and I didn’t had the time to answer properly.
M. @ccr distorted the reality because of it’s feeling of frustration. I understand, it’s human being.
If you look at the timeline, hidden in M. CCR message, it lacks the fact that a dualo du-touch S has been send to M. CCR, who acknoledge it in the end of the timeline, without making it a important point: “I still have your du-touch S …”. The value of 240 EUR on French website Audiofanzine is the 2nd hand price… please M. @ccr, if you use infos, use the right ones. Check here on Thomann, to see a dualo du-touch S is stil 473 EUR, and was before 495€. And M. @ccr has been offered a lifetime subscription worth 129€/year of the du-game.
So I feel insulted when M. @ccr says he has “not received any information nor compensation offer”.
And to close the subject: Do you think people get their money back when Lehman brothers crashed? I can understand such events are complex, but once again, I cannot accept to read such a distorted reality. We do gave compensation with a dualo du-touch S and a lifetime suscription of the du-game. They are many examples of company crash when customers didn’t get a penny in compensation. We did much more than many would have done.
Now, you can keep applying your frustration on the new team and Exquis, or face the present: Exquis have been delivered and people like playing them.

Can you tell me why you need a user defined layout feature?
We are planning to release it, but I am curious about the reason this is the feature you are waiting for.

PMed.

Hi @bruno.intuitive - welcome back! Just a quick response from my side (even though you did not directly respond to my message from 4 months ago). This is a user forum, and it is quite common that forum participants comment upon their experiences with the companies they order from.

First of all, let me say that I am genuinely happy that the Exquis rollout goes well. I still think that the interface layout is brillant (and I stated this here already: Intuitive Instruments Exquis MPE + CV controller and app - #31 by ccr) and deserves to be more widely adopted. And it is great that you manage to deliver this time.

I decided to share my side of the story last September because your claim that you actively engaged and sought to compensate all customers who had paid their devices was untrue. As I explained in my message (Intuitive Instruments Exquis MPE + CV controller and app - #23 by ccr), the possibility to borrow a Dualo-S was proposed by your company in March 2018 as an intermediary solution while I was waiting for the model I had ordered and that was promised for the Summer. I have also never been proposed any kind of “lifetime subscription”.

Finally, I did not seek to “hide” the details, but collapsed them to avoid overburdening the forum - on the contrary, I believe that I have been very precise and complete. I have also deliberately avoided drawing parallels with banking crashes, etc. - I think we are luckily on a different scale here. I can live with the loss (luckily I have a high enough and stable income), but I found the episode quite shitty nevertheless.

I would suggest @bruno.intuitive to deal with @ccr privately from now on.

As a company, saying publicly that an established user (that has been a victim) is “distorting reality” is a real bad move: passive aggressiveness is very unwelcome here, and definitely makes a company look wrong.
I understand you’ve been through hard times, but your public communication when facing a problem with a customer should always been apologetic, not aggressive.

Please don’t keep on exchanging messages on this thread, make it private. Unless you’ve reach some agreement, that is.

7 Likes

And the Exquis might become another Tonnetz capable keyboard.

What i PMed to bruno.intuitive above was a very short explanation of the Tonnetz arrangement of notes. Interesting how close the Exquis is to this system. The three axis on the Exquis are minor third, major third, semitone. The axis with theTonnetz are minor third, major third, perfect fourth. It turns out if you flipped the direction of the minor third to the major third relative to each other on the Exquis you’d get the Tonnetz.

The reason anyone would want a keyboard with a Tonnetz arrangement is because of it’'s very practical use in music composition and music theory, which gets touched on in the Tonnetz thread i just started. The Tonnetz clusters musically relevant chords and triads close around each other. in a specific arrangement

There are some good music theory course videos around the Tonnetz in the first post of that thread.

Both key arrangements are isomorphic.

3 Likes

@Jukka I have my answer, thank you.
We have started to work with Moreno Andreatta, one of the most active researcher on Tonnetz, to experiment Tonnetz on Exquis. We will be very happy to share experiments with who wants to.
A good start is the result of Moreno’s team research, a software to play with Tonnetz: Software – Moreno Andreatta
I plan to make a tool which will allow Exquis’ users to remap their key layout with predefined Tonnetz, so we can explore playing with the different Tonnetz.
Anyone interested, please tell me so we can start a list for diffusion of future advancement on the subject.

4 Likes

@Jukka, sorry I didn’t took the time to read all other threads, so you know already the web-hexachord software!

As you can see, the Exquis layout is the Tonnetz 3,4,5. The slight difference is that on Exquis, semitone are placed next to each other and not spaced like on the web-hexachord interface, which prefer to put forward the fifth.
Our conversation with Moreno tried to explain this by making a difference between a representation of a Tonnetz that is made for visualising theoretical aspects, and a representation of a Tonnetz that is made for playing music.
It’s interesting to see we came up with the Exquis layout because we wanted to find a better way to play.

1 Like

Yeah, the Exquis is currently set up with the arrangement you get using the 1,3,8 dimensional interval choice with that software.

8 semitones is a minor 6th the same as an inverted major 3rd. That’s what I mean above when i said “flipping the direction of the minor third relative to the major third”.

Just for clarity, i only use the label “Tonnetz” to refer to the 3,4,5 arrangement of intervals. This is what Euler used on his original 1739 paper. He certainly knew of other arrangements of intervals.

I can see how other arrangement have different strengths and can function differently. The 1,3,8 may be better for “playing”, as it stretches the typical scales linearly. The 3,4,5 may be better for “composition” in that it’s shapes get arranged in harmonically useful constellations.

Also given the rectangular ( longer than wide ) shape of the Exquis, people may prefer different directional orientations with different interval arrangements.

Upthread i wrote about using the Exquis to control a microtonally tuned synthesizer, as for instance a Hydrasynth. The HS and other synths like it have many different options for microtonal scales. How to arrange those notes on to a hexagonal keyboard, for instance the 19 TET scale, is an interesting and open question. I have made some stabs at this but there are plenty of options. And obviously you need the flexibility to define the MIDI Note sent then by each hexagonal pad freely.

Anyway this post is already too long, so I’ll stop.

2 Likes

Exactly. I would be interested in the Exquis as a controller for microtonal music, and thus would acquire one only on the condition that each hexagon pad’s MIDI note could be freely defined by the user (as with the Lumatone, or the Novation Launchpads via the Components app).
Further, if I understand the Exquis layout correctly, there are octave up/down buttons; ideally the “octave transposition” interval should also be freely definable to any interval as well, not just +/-12.

3 Likes

Yeah absolutely ! I’d still use such a thing as an octave up, but the octave isn’t always 12 MIDI notes up with microtonal scales.

2 Likes

Defining each hexagonal pad’s MIDI note is already on our roadmap. Thank for the advice on octave up/down buttons, we will consider it also.
As we are a very small team, adding features in the firmware can sometimes take a few months to be done. I am thinking of creating a small and simple MIDI tool to remap each pad’s MIDI notes, for exemple as a standalone MAX app or a standalone JUCE app. You plug your Exquis on the virtual input, and you plug your DAW/Synth/Hardware MIDI interface on the other side, so you can experiment with it. Would you use it?
That might be a nice way to start implementing this new feature in the firmware, when we all acknowledge it hits the point.

4 Likes

I WANT to use it for 2 or 3 synth ,but never with a app ,so please tell us how do you change midi channel? I look in your web site ,cannot find answer? becuse if you ca t change Midi Channel then it is useless to me and to many;;; Please tell us how to do ;since order is on the way. Thank you

Please see here : https://dualo.com/download/12784

1 Like

I DID first day i bought it… now i realize it has been update!great thanks a lot

1 Like

Hello! I would love to lurk on any associated list :slight_smile:

1 Like

How to subscribe ? :slight_smile:

Understanding that currently you are busy with post-release activities, and that you are a small team, I’d like to kindly ask you to consider open sourcing the firmware mid-term.

Synthstrom went this route with the Deluge and the results are amazing.

A patch for the Midihub would also be possible.