Introducing Syntakt

I love the composition on A07. Congratulations on your new Syntakt!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not looked into this in the Syntakt manual but I can say that I tried to do just intonation on the Digitakt back in the day and thereā€™s not enough resolution in the pitch controls to achieve proper micro-tonal stuff. You could get in the ballpark for some micro-tonal scales but not get it exactly spot on. Plus it would be a huge PITA :grinning:

Hereā€™s the thread I started on it if youā€™re interested:

2 Likes

Just got the shipping confirmation from thomann germany, Iā€™m beyond psyched to get it so soon! I ordered it shortly before the expected shipping date changed from 2-5 days to a couple of weeks.
One question I couldnā€™t find out from the manual: is the FX block a separate track in overbridge? This would be incredible, as it could basically be used as an additional stereo bus when recording to the daw.

1 Like

Ever thought about, that others might use gear differently? Why start to mock on people because they approach stuff differently than you? What is the point? I donā€™t do live music anymore. I use hardware in my ā€œstudioā€. I donā€™t have the time anymore to spent as much times as back in the day for music. Yeah, I was able to play full sets drunk with my band, but today I wouldnā€™t remember them anymore.
I will add an OT to the Syntakt only to sequence its pattern because of this. I get, why Elektron does not implement Song Mode on the small boxes, but I also understand why people want it.
You should stop judging people just because they do stuff differently than you!

On Topic: Waited very long with the decision. Ordered it with 2-4 weeks shipping time and got a shipping notification half an hour later. Thanks to whoever canceled their order!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good to know, thanks @craig. I guess at least with the DT you could ā€œ(pre)fine-tuneā€ your samples in a DAW. Yeah, still a PITA :rofl:

1 Like

Looks like a ton of fun. Was considering getting a second-hand A4 MKI, but now Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t jump the gun!

Mocking? Judging? I donā€™t know about any of that. Were people harmed by my calmly expressed opinions? If so Iā€™m sorry.

1 Like

Example needed? You wrote, that you think, that asking for song mode is partly for making checklists than making music, so you think that parts of this community donā€™t know, what they want and why, but just have something on the featurelist that is from your point of view, unimportant.
I call that judging and very obvious that you ā€œlook downā€ on them.

4 Likes

I think theyā€™ll be fine :0)

1 Like

@AdamJay and @LyingDalai are correct. There is no quantization when playing live. This is something that many other companies implement as Note Repeat or Roll and you pick the divisions youā€™d like it to snap to. Elektron had the idea in place for the original release of the Analog Rytm, but for some reason could never implement it, and consequently pulled it from the manual after release.

It would be great to see Elektron implement this eventually. It is a very useful performance featureā€¦ essential reallyā€¦ especially when combined with the pads of the Rytm where you could gently bring in parts starting at a very low velocity. Currently this cannot be done as you need to strike the pad with intent to be in time with the sequence. Of courseā€¦ having the repeat follow shuffle settings (on 16th notes) would be a whole different matter to tackle. The Tempest only added that at the very, very end of firmware updates.

5 Likes

song mode is a valid request. I donā€™t need it on my elektrons, but for example itā€™s an integral part of my m8 tracker workflow.

just cause you or I donā€™t desire it in this instance doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not important to others.

innit.

4 Likes

Started looking into how EZbot uses OT in conjunction with 'takt boxes. Apparently he doesnā€™t have the OT sending MIDI to them at all. He only uses it as a mixer and to sample what they do.

Applying his OT template to STā€¦ although he does have MIDI cables plugged into the OTā€¦ the red one connected from OT MIDI Thru to something offscreen, and MIDI Out Sync A from ST to OT MIDI In.

4 Likes

Every time I see that OT + ST here, I have to watch it.

1 Like

quick Q
if you parameter lock the delay time with different values does it do that ā€˜weird tape delay speed up/slow downā€™ type of effect that I over use on digitakt?
i often duplicate entire patterns and only change delay time to get weird noises,.

1 Like

Pretty darn sweet. Looks like it was probably designed as an OT companion ā€“ I wonder if theyā€™re expecting it to boost OT sales. I imagine the market venn diagram is one side DT+DN, one side ST+OT, then all us crazy 'nauts in the middle.

I still donā€™t think Iā€™d trade my TR8S+A4 for it, so I guess Iā€™m not that crazy, but for those in the market for a sick compact setup, sure seems like this is a good option.

My guess is it would sound like it does when holding func and turning the time knob.

Was just talking to @tr909 about how the smaller TR6S would be a great partner for Syntakt.

You get a sequencer so donā€™t need to use ST MIDI tracks for sequencing samples on TR6S. Plus some drum sounds that can be used for transitions, programmed live. So less need for an OT for transitional looping. Run the TR-6S into the ST, give em both some analog fx block mini-heatā€¦ and output that to a MicroLimiter. Boom, live set in 3 small boxes.

2 Likes

Just because I am curious, why TR6S instead of M:S? Because its smaller?

yea, smaller, and more variety of FX, more tweak ability of ACB sounds if you are a big fan of the classic Rolands.

2 Likes

The story Iā€™m imagining is Elektron asking Ess ā€œYo Ess, whatā€™s the last thing you wanna work on with us before you move to Germany?ā€
ā€œYo, I wanna design a kickass drumsynth that has both my beloved FM sounds AND analog tones!ā€
ā€œYou donā€™t mention samplingā€¦ā€
ā€œCome on guys, Iā€™m the FM synthesis guru, not the sampling oneā€¦ā€
ā€œOh yeahā€¦Aight, letā€™s do it!ā€

Iā€™ve been steadily working on drum parts on my MC-707. Theyā€™re turning ok, given that drum programming has never been my specialty. The 707ā€™s drums are all sample-based. So I canā€™t help but wonder if some of the drum sounds Iā€™m going for might be better served by drum synths. But thatā€™s a question I can put off addressing for a while.