Introducing Syntakt

I don’t poo-poo anyone who needs song mode or wishes to approximate its functionality via program change from other instruments.
We all have our own needs. Perhaps some other testers can chime in with @GovernorSilver about those desired features and interaction between boxes.

My testing has been mostly that of “find oddness, try to break it, but do so while making my own music”

So i should clarify. for Live I will add the Syntakt to the dual OT setup.
so Live is 2x OT MK1, ST, AHMK1, MF Twister, Eventide Blackhole pedal.

5 Likes

Ah cool

Yip

Well what are the filter designs based on? We don’t seem to get any info on what they actually are…

I’d refer to it as a bit plastic sounding.

Enjoy the unit if you end up grabbing one :+1:t2:

1 Like

As one of the hardware engineers I guess this is a question for my table. In the manual we state that recommended max ambient temperature is 35 degC and not exposed to direct sunlight. This is the blanket recommendation to allow for reasonable variation in other environmental conditions like ventilation, other machines close by and such. This does not mean that the unit automatically self destruct in higher temperatures, nor that it turns itself off. There is an internal temp sensor to ensure good tuning and other analog stability (there is also additional slots so you can get the calibration perfect for your ambient temperature).

I trust the user to take care of the machine, it’s built to be used and somewhat abused, but to care for it. If the ambient temp for some time goes above 35 degC that is utterly extremely unlikely to cause any damage. The thing is also that we can’t say how hot it would need to be to actually be directly critical for the unit, in the case of a live set in a sauna (like above 70 degC) you will likely start noticing crackles in the digital audio because the heat throws off the signal timing, but it is likely that it still doesn’t die…immediately. (We have tested this, but simulated the sauna). But for how long would it stay a healthy machine at these temperatures? To be honest I have no clue so I can’t recommend this. What I can recommend is to use it at max that temperature that still satisfies the recommended temp of the internal components (for those more into electronics you know that there is a difference between recommended and abs max, and we design everything to be at below recommended temperature to be conservative). Then we arrive at 35 degC as a reasonable temperature with good marginal.

So, sorry for a long-winded answer, but it’s a fairly complex question so I want to share a bit of the reasoning regarding the ambient temperature. It’s build to last long and be a stable companion under the operating conditions we recommend, even if it is more complex than just an absolute temperature number :totes:

47 Likes

Invalid comparison. With a device like this, you’re supposed to be the whole band and not just the guitarist. Therefore it’d be nice to “program the drummer” as you only got two hands.

4 Likes

That’s cool. A quick read of that section of the manual doesn’t indicate that any of the scales can exhibit actual microtonality, however. It’s still all 12-TET as far as I can tell. I wonder if one could p-lock ultra fine pitch adjustment at least?

1 Like

The machines also hold up quite well in low temperatures.

My record was -7 C with the OT, outside. I had some condensation below the display glass but got through the soundcheck and gig without problems.

6 Likes

Nice! That’s really great to hear!

3 Likes

Thank you @andreash for taking some time for such an extensive explanation. That’s exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for. And great relief, too. I was wondering a bit because of the relatively small size containing such a big amount of functionality…

If I’m ever doing a set inside a sauna I’ll surely put you on top of the guest list. :grin:

2 Likes

I see, so if I was to do a live set on the sun, you might recommend the use of a cooling tent?

1 Like

This is great! Now I want photos of the Syntakt in a double boiler…

I have programmed the drummer and been the whole band with a device like this a number of times. It can be done with or without a song mode. Sure one will be less busy on stage if using a song mode but how hard is it really to change a pattern on the fly?

I feel like some of this song mode talk put forth by certain parties (not everyone of course!) comes more from the perspective of making a checklist than making music.

5 Likes

The nature of machines (as already focused combinations of parameters to effectively tweak sounds with loads of sweet spots) seems really great for plocking. More quick and effective than plocking a parameter on a regular synth like an A4 for example. Or that’s what I imagine I’ll play with a lot once I get one.

And here we are reaching those scenarios where it’s impossible to really give a definite answer. That’s why we have the blanket statement mentioned above.

Not needed in Swedish midnight sun, but probably in the Sahara desert :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, it actually is really cramped physically too… :sweat_smile: I assume the first tear downs are soon published so you’ll see it for yourself, I would of course never recommend anyone to disassemble it :wink:

Sweet! I’ll bring the beer! :beer:

7 Likes

I don’t know what I was thinking I should have just listened to the factory presets… this thing sounds amazing!

Preset A06 hiccups was a real suprise, super smooth

3 Likes

Best bunch of preset patterns so far imo. had em on loop today while I was workin. some beauts in there :slight_smile:

2 Likes