Introducing Syntakt

DAW but not Class Complient protocol.

Its different, per my understanding

Yea same here man, I keep holding out how that the super innovative Elektron that brought us the Monomachine, Machinedrum and Octatrack would make a glorious comeback with a new machine that none of us realized we needed.
They have kept me on board with the Analog Rytm, Analog Four and Digitone so Iā€™ve had a lot of hope that with a new box theyā€™d bring something game changing but unfortunately when you actually dig under the hood of the Syntakt itā€™s just for the part reusing tech that can already be found in the Elektrons that we already own with a few minor features thrown in to spice it up. When they announced a whole new box ā€˜new sounds from a new placeā€™ I took that literally and I was ready to pre-order but Iā€™ve been watching breakdown videos all through out the day and itā€™s clear that this is just repackaging of what we already have. Iā€™m super disappointed because Iā€™m so ready for a new Elektron that could rival the MD or MnM or even something completely from left field as long as itā€™s something new as in a new source of sound creation. Itā€™s a damn shame because I keep riding the hype rollercoaster every time they announce something new and I havenā€™t been blown away by anything since the AR and A4 back in 2015

11 Likes

A question about the audio routing structure. I have digitakt and digitone and often use them hard panned with one side as effects sends and the other for dry, or a static effect. In this situation I canā€™t use reverb or decay since they will play in both tracks. In the Syntakt it seems like with the FX routed to the analog fx, you can hard pan the analog fx channel, and not route the delay and reverb to main, and that way be able to get the effects in mono on one channel, and the dry voices on the other channel. Does this make sense? Seems really useful.

Oh good to know

1 Like

How similar are syntakts four analog voices to the voices in analog rytm? could every sound the rytm makes be replicated with syntakts analog voices, albeit only four at a time?

syntakt has two distinct analog voice structures, rytm has five distinct analog voice structures, but how similar are they?

1 Like

Think it sounds great but not different enough from what I have to get one. The AUS price is a barrier too.

1 Like

Genuine question; is there a technical reason they donā€™t just drop a bunch of the machinedrum machines in here? Seems like doing that would have a pretty big effort-to-payoff/crowd pleasing aspect. Or is that codebase really difficult to update/resuscitate?

1 Like

There is a good chance that those algorithms were developed for a different type of chip. And they are probably very optimized for that chip, and there is a decent chance that the people who developed them are gone and no one really knows how they work well enough to port them.

8 Likes

I wasnā€™t impressed by the syntakt after seeing the leaked images. Ordered it after reading the manual, lol.
This is a dream machine to pair with my linnstrument. Enough tracks to sequence some drums and bass lines and still be able to play multiple pseudo MPE synth voices on top using the remaining digital tracks. Damn, I love my DN but the ST will probably replace it.

1 Like

Stop it youā€™re making me wonder if I should sell everything and get the ST. :laughing:

Didnā€™t realize about the whole 12 tracks-as-song-sections thing.

Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

Focus on what the tool can do, and ignore how it doesnā€™t fit into your own expectations.

You might just end up making great music you wouldnā€™t imagine yourself making.

13 Likes

Sounds pretty similar to me.

The digital drums are quite good. Itā€™s not like those other 3 analog voice structures were all that great. Like seriously, would you miss those toms? Easily replicated with a slightly distorted downward sine and a bit of clickā€¦

1 Like

I might be wrong but from my Rytm experience (I sold it), the analog voices sound and feel (for editing) extremely close to AR, if not identical.

Ugh. On one hand, I am a bit jealous of you, as I already have a great setup - MD, AR, M:C. I was hoping for the all-in-one to replace it ā€¦ and I kind of got it? But I depend on song mode, samples and kits. If only the digital engine wasnā€™t simply M:C. Because I like the M:C, I like how it feels to use, how portable it is. I know there is some new stuff but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just new configurations of the M:C engine.

OTOH it could in theory replace my A4 and M:C and then Iā€™d have two boxes instead of three, thatā€™s more powerful. And maybe theyā€™ll add polyphony.

I have criticized the ST a lot and my stance has not changed but Iā€™ve also said that I will wait and see if they sweeten the deal any in the coming year.

OTOH do I really want to sell anything that Iā€™m going to create more and more projects on.

So weā€™re back to it being a no, just because I already have most of what it does.

Right.
It is effectively half the voices of a Rytm, plus a Model:Cycles with deeper capabilities, and they threw in some new synth and drum machines to round things out and harken back to MM/MD days, put into what might be their most effective package (DT chassis).
All across 12 tracks with some fun new trig modifier features, and a tasty new Heat-esque analog FX block (which sounds a bit different than previous analog elektron products).

Itā€™s an Elektron smorgasbord, and 12 tracks means you can go back for seconds, and thirds.

From using it, I wouldnā€™t classify it this way. The digital overdrive sounds different. There is more depth, and there are more digital machines inside that arenā€™t found on M:C, as you said. Itā€™s M:C without the handcuffs on.

But like all things in our society that arenā€™t healthcare, shelter, food, or utilities, you do not have to buy it. And thatā€™s okay.

8 Likes

Happy for you guys. Looks like fun.

I instantly preordered the Syntakt this morning. Elektron made something cooler than I expected, but Iā€™m still disappointed it doesnā€™t have PARAMETER SLIDE.

3 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m too busy learning other instruments. But my BF is buying one, so Iā€™ll get to check it out. I also have a Monomachine. So, hey, wonder if Monomachines will become obsolete again? I wanna upgrade to a MK2 still and canā€™t deal.

I think i really like the new syntakt. It has all thinks being asked in feature request threads and its going back to remind us of mnm and md. And the price seems ok too.
Its just that i ll never ever again write a post on requesting features again, as they get all those feats and apparently put them in a different box. So now it makes me feel like there is no chance my rytm gets an meaningful update ever again.

For sure. And I donā€™t see myself as battling with ST-lovers as to whether ST is good or not, and anyway I think itā€™s good, I just think itā€™s an incredibly sensible and practical thing, almost infuriatingly. It makes so much business and production sense that it actually grates on me.

Considering it could be a perfect companion to Machinedrum or Octatrack ā€¦ Iā€™m really wondering if selling off stuff after recording it is in my future. And drums on A4 as good as they sound are a bit of a hack.

I suppose it all boils down to that I hate that Elektron doesnā€™t supercede stuff, like provide the new sexy thatā€™s equivalent to what you have only better. And even - gasp - make it compatible with your current gearā€™s projects. Iā€™d get on that upgrade train.

I want to be more productive. What I have, I know intimately and like the sound of, but there is more efficient stuff out there, and ST is even more in that direction, and it sounds great. If only I could really become entrenched in what I have and be certain, but alas, the Cycles is the device I have the most fun with.

I donā€™t know. They make these decisions not easy for those tight on space and money.

3 Likes