Introducing Syntakt

The exchange rate is so bad, a second hand MD seems cheap now… :sweat_smile:
The ST is 50% more expensive than the DN/DT before the pandemic (msrp)… that hurts. If retail stores ask for the DN/DT price, it will still be 30% more expensive…

1 Like

I’ve slept on this now.

I’m getting one today, for the very reason that it doesn’t do much of what I’m used to, and not in the way I’m used to, either.

I could do with a challenge and learning experience here, and approach my writing from an angle that forces me to think differently. And fusion that with my old stuff, could be an interesting journey.

8 Likes

Congrats Elektron!
Sounds amazing and seems to cover plenty of ground and genres to use this for!
And with 12 tracks you can almost play complete set with just one box.

Really looking forward to try the Syntakt out and see how it fits or replaces some other gear that.

:raised_hands:

1 Like

I’m not an expert so I throw the question: what other drum machines with analog and digital sources are there in the market? What would compare?

So… Are OT users happy?

2 Likes

LXR-02 is a lovely, beautiful sounding machine, but it’s markedly less convenient than an elektron. The last update changed the way users’ kits sounded noticeably, it has no concept of a “sound” only kits, it can only use one effect at once, and tracks are locked into their own specific engines. Plus it only has four parameters onscreen at a time, so it’s a little less immediate there. It sounds wonderful and I love the thing but I really wish an Elektron box had the same sounds. The Syntakt is there with double the voices and analog/digital effects.

TL;DR: the configurable outputs and the kit morphing are the high points, but I think the relative voice count and flexibility make the price difference clear.

1 Like

I am not disappointed or frustrated, but I already have an M:C, just sold my AR MKII (because I prefered sampled drums in the end) and I like my OT more than I’ve ever liked my DT.

So I see very little reason to buy this one at the moment.

1 Like

MD and MNM for me are far superior than Syntakt specially Machine Drum

3 Likes

I think so. Playing with the modifiers plock the corresponding parameter.
Got to try this.
There are still some bugs to iron out on this corner but it should get on rails pretty soon.

1 Like

Not untrue, but as you can fine tune anything, you can have more sweet spot.
There are new filters, too.
So it’s bringing sounds further, in fact.

1 Like

The modifiers are what have my imagination going atm. It’s no small addition to the sequencer if they, in fact, behave this way.

Weren‘t you doing exactly that just recently by switching to a DAW/Logic? I didn‘t follow your thread, but I remember reading something along those lines :slight_smile:

I had similar thoughts about the Syntakt in fact, but after a bit of reflection I figure I have enough “experiments” in my studio and the Syntakt actually doesn’t give me anything I don’t already have covered (except the form factor & all-in-one thing it brings of course).

I think this thing actually looks/is better than the leaks would have suggested, though, so I totally understand people’s interest in it! If I were in the market for a groovebox, I’d probably pick this over something like a MC707…only the omission of a sampling machine is a downer I feel.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s pretty close to SP404 retrig, only bringing it way further.

Another nice trick: you can get two octaves on the internal keyboard, using the fold function and an adapted melodic scale.

1 Like

Yeah, I imagine it would be very easy to get some open/closed hihat choking sounds by p-locking the decay times via the modifiers.

Yes, and having 4 of them? Plus it appears VERY intuitive.

Now they just need to put these modifiers into the DT in order to give it a slice mode, so I have an excuse to buy a new sampler.

1 Like

Congrats elektron! Really proud to see you’ve been listening to the community and also honoured the nostalgia of MD users while staying true to innovation and new ideas. Also, a great call to build upon lessons leant from other digis and analogs. I’ll be getting one at some point when second hand prices come down. Great work!!

Does it anti-ambient tho?

Edit: also, happy the forum is somewhat stable again :pray:

2 Likes

I think this might well make a good companion and two-box setup with my AR Mk1. I can do sampled drums on the AR and synth stuff on the Syntakt.

I think Elektron have been very smart here. This thing would make a great first groovebox (mid-range price) and if you’re an existing Elektron user you can put this next to almost any other single box they have and it would complement it.

It’s always disappointing for those who feel let down but they’ll probably update other machines soon and release something else in the future. There is certainly nothing to suugest they are planning to stop!

3 Likes

It is. You need little time to adapt.
First you basically try it to retrig anything. Chords is an interesting destination for this, btw.
Then you try velocity, so you can for instance play with several shades of kick. Haven’t really played with the velocity destinations, but this modifier basically becomes a huge macro.
And you still have two freely assignable, to play with fx sends for instance.

I found that the melodic part of the unit was much fun, I use the Keystep to overcome the lack of arps. Powerful combo!

9 Likes

On a similar note to using velocity as a macro: The fact that every track reacts to vel/mod/at/bc control messages to abuse as performance macros is huge to me. I can’t wait to configure one of the 12 tracks as a midi track in order to control a bunch of the remaining tracks (all set to react to the same midi channel) via midi loop back. This is fun on the digitone, but seems much more flexible on the ST, because there are so many tracks to pick and control (or not).

7 Likes