Introducing Syntakt

And it’s not even labeled “Elektron” on the faceplate.

Hey, does anyone know how do I copy sound AND the trigs on the Syntakt? @.@

Edit: Found this from an older thread Copy Track Sequence to Another Track (or MIDI track) Within Same Pattern - #4 by Mosca-Irato which works:

I copy/paste the page [page][record] on the track which sequence I want to copy then switch to the new track and then press [page][paste].

but omg is that clumsy again … especially with four pages …

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to copy Track sound. Unless you mean Soundlocks ?

A SUPER COPY combo would be usefull !

3 Likes

yea super copy plEaze

3 Likes

And a SUPER PASTE ! :content:
TRK+FUNC+ COPY/CLEAR/PASTE as shortcut ? Seems to be available.

4 Likes

super paste plEaze :joy:

3 Likes

That’s just copying one page. To copy the whole sequence of a track just go into grid rec mode and press func+rec. Go to other pattern (or track by pressing TRK+the corresponding trig) while still in grid recording mode, func+stop.
To copy the sound go back to the original pattern or track and press TRK+Rec. Switch to the new pattern or track and press TRK+Stop.

All this can be done in grid recording mode so you never have to go out of that mode. Once you do this enough times it’s basically a 2 second operation. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m fairly sure that @Jeanne was looking for something that did sound and sequence in one go ?

2 Likes

Yes indeed, but that does not exist. The solution she e came with was unnecessarily more work as she stated she thought she had to copy 4 pages individually. It also doesn’t copy over the track’s sound. :wink: So thought I’d give a slightly simpler solution

3 Likes

I love the crab scratching technique on the granular effect with the Akai Force - I didn’t even realise the Force had a crossfader until now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

After some debate with myself, I’ve decided to keep my Syntakt after weeks of frustration that I got nothing out of it that I liked.

When I stopped using it stand alone, but as a drum loop source for sampling, it turned into something extremely useful. Now it’s on everything I do :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I’ve briefly thought about this too. The sounds on the Syntakt - at least for percussion - are nothing special, and I’ve come to realize that I prefer samples. The Syntakt’s analog drums all need to be layered with samples or the digital machines to actually punch through in a busy mix (the snare especially is weak as hell even though I like the tone).

Actually using the ST, however, is such a joy that it’ll be some time before I bother getting rid of it. I sampled my Drumbrute Impact and sold it, and I regret that quite a bit - even though it was limited, I had a blast using it.

1 Like

I think this is important.

As much fun as I’ve had using Syntakt on its own, it’s definitely more productive as part of a wider setup.

6 Likes

Yes. I think this grail-like search for a one stop instrument is generally in vain, but it’s especially futile with a kit like the Syntakt. It’s not so much a matter if you can build complete tracks with it. It’s more like, why would you want to?

And once you get that, it becomes best in class at what it does.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Thanks. I learned that hanging out with a bunch of scratch DJs at NAMM one year. Now I like doing it for control of fx when it makes sense.

1 Like

One of my favourite things about Syntakt is layering sounds. This is much more fun when you’re not stressing about running out of tracks.

I think I’m heading towards using it for more complex/layered sounds and rhythms to go with more straightforward sounds and sequences from my other gear.

Setting up 3 or 4 voice sounds, then modulating and plocking the voices individually is starting to yield some pretty interesting results.

5 Likes

The « Syntakt standalone music » thread is cool for the learning process but I had to integrate the ST into my rig.

4 Likes

I used the Syntakt on both a noise/ambient set (opening) and daft techno (closure) last weekend. This bass, ladies and gentlemen, wow, that was something.
I had a lot of fun with the OT+ST combo, my very favorite. To the point I’m removing most of my gear from the desktop, and focusing on this + modular.

5 Likes

That’s exactly how I use it as well. I’m not shy to reach for two or three sounds just to build a kick. An analogue engine for thump, a digital one for a wet smack attack, and a little click to cut through the mix. Run it past the FX track with a trig or two on the envelope and just a hint of modulation on the filter, and you quite the kick loop going.

3 Likes

(… takes notes for the next time I’m on my Rytm)

2 Likes