Introducing Octatrack MKII

I don’t know the company. This is my first purchase, but I don’t get a warm and fuzzy in the Customer Service department. I mean least they could do is state the status right?

true, but this is what it is
always

and at the end…,. the product is very nice…
and I forgive

1. Elektron are secret mad scientists, super hush hush and don’t like to say anything
  2. Product releases are usually a month or two late
  3. They make really nice high quality gear
  4. Even if 1 and 2 upset people, 3 usually wins
8 Likes

I’m with you on this. The size of the Elektron boxes was part of the appeal for me. I really dig the aesthetics of the simple boxes as well. All things change, I suppose. I think the “dark trinity” size/color/aesthetic is/was killer.

2 Likes

Is. :wink:

1 Like

I’m still pissed about 2 boxes same color grey and 1 box darker grey. What the hell Elektron.
Also, why not make the OT MKII the same form factor as the AR and A4? I don’t get it. People like me with OCD got synapses twitchin.

2 Likes

Well, Elektron’s not completely quiet. First, they go ”Look at this cool thing we’re releasing in September that can do all these things!”

Then they - always - miss the launch date with an accuracy worse than a blind gunman trying to hit a barn from the inside but fails, and go quiet.

I sure would like to hear their retrospects, tho.

”Dang, we missed the launch date again. What can we do better next time?”
”Uh, nothin’?”
”I like it. More coffee, anyone?”

7 Likes

I was just saying to someone today how I’m surprised there aren’t non-stop posts about this. They originally had the Rytm listed as coming out in October, the 3rd release!

The Digitakt threads were blowing up for each day Elektron was ‘late’ with the product.

Maybe since it was a totally new product with more question marks about it?

We’re jaded now and besides, we love them anyway. They’re bad at timing but great at the stuff that counts in the long run.

2 Likes

Wait for OT MkIII (with new form), or AR/DT MKIII (with old form). You’ll have sinapses twitching with OT’s Os anyway. :slight_smile:

I’m still holding onto my studio-vs-livegig-theory: The new analog mk II’s are meant for the studio, old mk I’s are meant for the stage now. The OT fits into the stage scenario better so that’s why it’s sized as a “stage” box. Guessing that a “studio” version of OT will follow suit eventually (and will have the tracking solution that we’ve been wanting for studio use, either via ob or more indiouts).

Then again maybe I’m way off with these assumptions…

1 Like

Buy both sizes theory? :slight_smile:
You found a good selling point for Elektron, but they’ll have to keep both sizes.

I practice in studio what I play live so I need MKI’s only.

1 Like

9 Likes

Well look at that :slight_smile:

1 Like

When do we get the firmware update, guys? :wink:

3 Likes

While I don’t care too much about the colour and am personally thinking that the size oft the MK2s is not in an unacceptable range for portable devices, I’m way more behind the new features and what they mean for MKI and therefore for Elektron’s business strategy. When they are adding more goodies such as the trig conditions to older devices more frequently, it’s very likely they earn a better image on the market resulting into bigger market share to invent new products and produce more. So spread the word about the good things since I’m hoping so much they will have room to design an WT-Synth one day :slight_smile:

With that having said, I don’t appreciate, but also don’t mind too much waiting for the OTMK2 since I believe there’s a real good reason other than just “ooops,… who did the project plan” behind (at least I hope so). Although one might think they should have managed to write functionality for the new buttons first, send out the boxes in time and implement trig conditions afterwards, I could imagine that they maybe decided too late to implement both the MK2 interface and the trig condition at the same time and release it to MKI AND MKII. That way they’re saving development and QA costs of course, since they’re testing and bug fixing in one bunch instead of twice. Or/also in latency critical applications with many nested use cases such as on the OT, I’m very sure it’s hard to keep the code base modular and abstract functionality away so that it’s hard to release in smaller iterations for all devices, but maybe and hopefully that’s something they considered for new implementations such as the Digitakt and refactored parts of the old firmware accordingly. What I primarily mean is that I hope they are implementing a better integration to share and improve code for generic components across products such as the step sequencing, trig feature, etc. to allow updates and upgrades to a lower cost.

The only thing I’d expect of course is as you already mentioned that they should come up with some videos to get a feeling on what it means to play the MK2… But of course I’m also keen on getting the OT’s functionality into my setup and it’s like the day before Christmas since August for me - every day :smiley:

Here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha :joy: Just in the moment I wrote. Great!!!

Soon = we still don’t know when, but it seems sooner than before. :grin:

7 Likes

OT mkII is shipping now. So I guess the OS update will be available v soon, if not already.

https://www.elektronauts.com/news/374

2 Likes