Introducing Octatrack MKII

i don’t think anyone expects “perfection”, “luxuries”, “the world at their fingertips”, or any kind of cutting edge technology when asking for separate track outs be they analog or digital. all decent music gear had those features decades ago.

1 Like

I meant perfection in my music, not the box, and I would definitely consider adding what a computer can do on top of an octatrack a luxury, when I said the world at your fingertips I didnt mean I want OT to make me coffee and give me a massage, I was just reffering to the unlimited possibilities of the computer. I just think its best to accept what we do have rather than being pissed that my favourite sampler ever doesnt have every single feature I want

2 Likes

My hardware setup is routed through a digital mixer to monitor speakers. This mixer has usb to pc so I can record anything from any hardware box ( to my daw) easily without having to mess around with cables etc.

3 Likes

“perfect my skills using OT and just stop being so fussy”

Great advice for all. :nyan:

4 Likes

I pretty much only plan to use it for performance… I make most of my original tunes in Ableton and with OB running a rytm and analog4… the extra loops on tracks 3-7 were made beforehand and then sampled in.

Found questionable (hilarious?) easter egg on Elektron’s Octatrack MKII page, specifically a photo, that lends itself to another photo.

1 Like

The only thing I managed to catch is that raw shelf the OT lies on. Hope Elektron is not going to design shelves in the future :slight_smile:
Otherwise do you have more details on your finding?

Wouldn’t that spoil the journey?

They will :
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/6/2/62b810080b1b8fa80f8512915a299faa2d31f03c.jpg

4 Likes

Thats teenage engineering turf

maybe a collaboration on doorhandles could be the next project

don’t mean to be greedy, but if there’s any chance that we could get the multiple simultaneous step p-locking that was introduced in the analog aries on new Octa firmware eventually it would be a godsend for the workflow on that incredible machine. has always been my #2 wish after conditional trigs, with the newer pattern copying and direct jumping behavior in #3.

7 Likes

Hands down the best thing i’ve read on this forum… So true!

A year ago I went to the effort of travelling halfway round the country to collect a mixer that multitracks 16 audio channels through USB. Used to spend so many hours tinkering with EQ and perfecting automation. The thought of not side-chaining my bass or shelving off the excess highs / lows etc. genuinely bothered me. Then it slowly dawned on me that no-one had the ability to do this back in the day but their records still sounded huge (I mean, just listen to this from 1992! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrdANlEz8I). So one day I decided to do an experiment - to get the best mix I could just using the EQ on the mixer. Forced me to really concentrate on the gain staging and make conscious EQ decisions (which actually required me to use my ears for a change :smile:)

Guess what, it wasn’t too shabby! And most importantly, it was actually fun.

Now I don’t even bother with the EQ on the mixer. I fix the sound at it’s source - fast pitch envelopes to help drums cut through, using the high pass filters on synths, transposing sequences to get them in a better frequency range, tweaking the levels as I play etc.

Losing all the control of the DAW forced me to become a better producer. Not to mention the countless hours saved from staring at frequency response curves… So yeah, 2 track for life. If it’s good enough for Dataline, it’s good enough for me!

15 Likes

after reading all this highly uplifting writing i’m super keen to buy a 2 track reel-to-reel lol.

4 Likes

That’s what I bought a DT.

I just saw that my synth dealer changed the release date of the OT mkII to the end of this month!!! I hope it’s worth waiting for it. Still not sure if it would better to buy a mk1 and save a lot of money. I guess i still secretly hope Elektron will add some sweet features in the future, but since both machines run on the same software and have the same DSP/hardware, possible features will be available on both machines… What would you do? Mk1 or Mk2?

EDIT: Synth dealer changed date for OT mk2 to 10.10.17… but only Elektron knows when…

Anyone actually get one yet?

Not released yet… I’m sure Datalines got one though… :wink:

2 Likes

Get what? I forgot I ordered one.

3 Likes

A month late with no update from Elektron. Sheesh this is not good at all. You would assume that there would be some advertising, videos, anything about their new products by now…

1 Like