Introducing Octatrack MKII

the OTmkII is going to be a deeper gun metal grey, rather than burnished silver.

it will look quite fetching next to the machinedrum.

but meditating overmuch upon the benefits of the aesthetics only goes so far.

A4/AR MKII size is a deal breaker for me.
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/4/c/4ce8efb550fa70344704caf898de9aea5728c2e5.png

4 Likes

this makes me incredibly happy to hear. thanks elektron for listening

1 Like

always been there! plock the arp. or get into the microtiming menu and then press the up-arrow key to set the number of trigs per step.

edit : did not see previous discussions of this that were outside of the reply fold, carry on :nyan:

I like it. Tired of tiny sh*t like the Roland Boutique crap. Make the colors the same though. OCD kickin in.

1 Like

Holy god, that is a chunk oā€™difference.

But those pads, if dramatically better, I swear to god, imma @ somebodyā€¦

Making OT mk II the same colour as the new analogs, why? The form factors are too dissimilar anyway for an mk II trinity to look like a cohesive instrument.

I kinda like the fact that the OT mk II will have itsā€™ own custom colourā€¦ Itā€™s a homage to the original prototype after all! What better way to venerate the omnissiah than that :3lektron:

i havenā€™t actually seen nor touched a Rytm or Keys in physical reality.

but the larger size seems appropriate. Especially for the Rytm with pads.

Okay I emailed elektron asking explicitly if there has been any modification whatsoever to the USB on OT mark 2 in this mechanical upgrade and if overbridge is physically impossible on the mark 2 now or in the future and I got a response that truly confirms there is absolutely no possibility. the USB has remained completely unchanged and all updates will also be for mark 1, for anyone elae with any creeping suspicions

7 Likes

Itā€™s not even a matter of only USB hardware. Enabling overbridge would require a complete rewrite of the audio side of the OT OS, not a trivial taskā€¦ And thereā€™s no proof that thereā€™d even be enough DSP left for this.

As for availability, Iā€™m hoping this weekā€¦ The conditrigs addition is making me impatient lol

1 Like

Same, letā€™s have it!

Not gonna pretend I remotely understand the magic that makes these boxes work, I dont doubt its complicated but if elektron can make something as mind blowing as OT happen its easy for a mortal like myself to think thereā€™d be a way to split the audio. also I thought that it was a hardware limitation which I was hoping could be changed. Still itching for the update regardless

1 Like

Conditional Trigs and fills are the same feature right?

Fill is a condition, a trig with the fill condition only plays when the fill(page) button is pressed. Thereā€™s also a condition for trigs not to play when the button is pressedā€¦

6 Likes

Thomann also moved the MKII availabililty date to Oct 12th.

its a shame, i truly wish the OTmk2 had OB. itā€™s the still the limiting factor for me. whenever i used that thing it always seemed like a nightmare to get the material off of it. this is the reason i think why its marketed primarily as a performance tool. and of course it is great for making and mangling sounds, but sounds are better left on the OT. or at least, transferred and recorded there. better off you made the music somewhere else, then simply transferred the stuff to the OT for performance. it is of course definitely, amazingly fun and cool to use and can be a crazy sound shaping tool, and also a nice hub. but how the christ do you get the material off the box in any real kind of sane way? at the very least, this box should have 8 dedicated stereo outs. it does in fact already have 8 stereo plugs right there. im not big on my audio science but it would be amazing if you could have those inputs switched to outputs if you wanted to. that actually might be more of a question than a feature request? could that even be possible?

3 Likes

Why not use a traditional audio interface?

2 Likes

I know the feeling but id definitely still need inputs, otherwise it would really be a sampler. im pretty sure they couldnt be just changed for outputs anyway, its just not designed that way. The best you can do is either track it using the four outs and just do two play throughs or you can record into all your recorder buffers and save those then rearrange in DAW.

I think my workaround is simply going to be trying to perfect my skills using OT and just stop being so fussy, I can always resample external FX into the OT anyway. Great songs have been 2 tracked, we live in a world of luxury that gives us an incredible depth of control over every aspect of our productions. I appreciate this fact but it has no doubt hindered my actual productive output, somewhere along the line trying to learn every aspect of music production I became obsessed with perfection and it was never my intention. While I absolutely dont doubt that the skills ive gained are useful and help my music I think now is the time to do more wih less. Maybe elektron knows that at the end of the day we dont really need the world at our fingertips to make good music. At the end of the day the thing that makes people buy these products is the music that comes out of them, which to be fair there would be significantly less of if we were all dicking about surgically EQing and compressing on computers, theres an EQ in there, theres a compressor in there. If we dont like the reverbs nothing stopping us from using a send. Its a mixer, its an FX box, its a sampler and its an insane sequencer, its a midi sequencer, its all there and its great already. I think ive had an epiphany

14 Likes

yeah, me tooā€¦ it fits perfectly in my udg bag, i can fit the ar and ot in it nowā€¦ this way i have to get a new bag and protective lid, which ups the price of the ARmk2 some 200-300 euros further. Plus dont know if the new size will fit the airline dimension requirements. Donā€™t want my gear traveling with the cargoā€¦

1 Like