Introducing Octatrack MKII

I just sold my MPC live to help fund the purchase of the MKII suite. I was underwhelmed by the Live. It’s cool and stuff, bu the effects are terrible and it did not seem to have the clarity of the Digitakt when I had it. I noticed a certain sonic quality of the Digitakt that was great, and the effects sublime. I returned it though because of the constant crashes.

2 Likes

Fortunately the delay on OT MKII gives me more time to absorb the manual and tutorial vids, giving me a more conceptual understanding of the how-to’s, which will surely help to hit the ground running once it actually does arrive, at which point I’ll have more brain energy to focus on the practical side of things.

A4 kinda worked this way. Being able to learn it conceptually first, and practically second helped me immensely to learn it with less frustration. I could see how trying to learn it all at once would slow a person down and hamper their understanding with concepts such as Kits and file hierarchy.

Horse first, cart second.

6 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Gelatine - OT, A4, MnM, Nova, Nord Modular

Before I got my OT I watched lots of video tutorials so I could hit the ground running when it arrived. Now that I have it what I do is read a chapter of the manual and then immediately have a little jam using everything I just read. The OT is way too much to bite off all at once.

2 Likes

The only thing I would think about a update is my gf is annoyed about the loud clicking sounds of the mk1 when I fiddle on the ot in bed :smiley: I like the typewriter feel though .

3 Likes

I think we all get that complaint. I don’t hear it, I have headphones on! :joy:

5 Likes

Yea the digitakt is just short of greatness.

1 Like

any update?

nope :frowning:

I heard Sep 22 from my rep

My first hardware device ever was Machinedrum that i bought around 15 years ago. It was very hard experience to wrap my head around it, but from that point i realised how addictive these machines are and how they push your creativity.

After that i was watching closely to what Elektron guys where doing with having AR in my studio. And the main questions was always - “Why you are doing everything the way that a missing of essential details is practically killing all your best intentions and hard work work?” It’s like they are building futuristic cars, but when you open a door and get inside you see that there is a square wheel without hydraulic assistant or breaks that are on the ceiling and you need to push them with your head.

I need a sampler, i need to destroy samples and be creative. I need a MIDI sequencer. First thing that get in your head - buy Digitakt. Stop, you need to transfer samples through midi in 2017 and you can have only 128 of them per project, so when inspiration hits you you can’t access to your full library? No thanks.

May be new OT MkII is an answer? I was so exited to hear that it’s finally out. But what i see in a new fearure list - new f** buttons and crisp display? Where are at least 4 stereo outs, it’s not serious to have 4 mono for that type of power! Where are the new convertors with the same quality as Digitakt, it’s been 8!!! years to make this machine slightly better, but in the end they are selling an old hardware in a new case. And i am not talking about all this hyped things like OB, Trigger conditions e.t.c.

Whats happening with you Elektron?

4 Likes

Thx. No ot mk2 4 me. A point

"What’s new?

Crisp OLED screen providing optimal feedback in dimly lit environments
Ultra durable back-lit buttons. Rated for 50 million presses
Contactless silky smooth performance crossfader
Precise, hi-res encoders
Increased amount of dedicated buttons enabling quicker workflow
Balanced audio inputs with plenty of headroom"

I totally agree with you. Nothing about the hardware and there is some much to do if they really want to improve the OT. Maybe, elektron is waiting for the final release to talk about the serious things. Let’s be patient :slight_smile:.

Well, I’ve never had the MKI, so I have nothing to bitch about.

Dont fret, if you get a mark 2 you will still get the mark 1 experience

5 Likes

I decided, that i can live with 4 mono outs and other dreams of what second version of OT could be, but i can’t live with the same quality of output convertion and FX’s as in OT MkI. In a video of Cuckoo where he was comparing OT to Digitakt the sound quality of OT was really bad. I can understand it - the device was created 8 years ago, but if they didn’t do nothing to this in a new version this is a total disgrace and disrespect to new users.

If they will upgrade outputs i will go with OT, because even with all this missing features it’s still the most promising device. MPC is a great thing, but for me its all about sequencing my modular system and mangling with samples and MPC is not quite for this.

seriously? pretty minor difference if you ask me.

3 Likes

The MPC X is kind of made for sampling and mangling modular, with all those CV outs no?

MPC efx IMO = meh

No. I can send the same information (notes, automation, e.t.c.) through midi to cv convertor, so its all about sequencer controlling modular and in OT its amazing. OT is used to mangle samples much more with all this parameters lock and other modulation.