Introducing Octatrack MKII

Soo, its looking like the mk II will not be available in August ? 1 day left…

OTOH I don’t mind the wait, my finances are FUBAR ATM :nyan:

1 Like

You won’t regret it ! After 2 years with one I’m still finding new tricks and it’s the performance centerpiece of my live shows. OT = brains … RYTM = brawn … A4 = icing

Very smart to have an idea of what workflow capabilities and features you want to learn and focus on those one at a time. I found that really helped me when I was learning. I think day 1 was just learn how to load samples and sequence them and possibly use a few FX. Day 2 was basic use of scenes (of course what everybody is after !)

The first few months were a bit of a struggle - mostly with the memory structure and setup as well as the Banks/parts + Pattern/track. Very different than what I was used to with MnM/AR/A4. I had many a frustrating night of accidental part reload or paste over. Now I’m as confident as ever on mine and wouldn’t change a single feature. I’m sure I may eventually move to a MK2 when mine wears out, but I’d have to redesign my flightcase + foam to make that happen due to the form factor change :frowning:

2 Likes

Octatrack’s like Clint Eastwood of samplers. Might be a bit rugged these days and a bit old fashioned, but when shit needs to get done, them Digi youngsters run out of memory and those MPCers just wet themselves on their screens, while grandpa shows how it’s done. And now, he’s got a brand new suit, too.

17 Likes

Digitakt buttons remind me of my 707!

1 Like

you will absolutely love the FX. with a tiny bit of processing/gain staging (which i know you can handle well) you will see how awesome they are paired with the plocks and individual pattern lengths/divisions. cant wait to hear what you produce with the mk2 sir

3 Likes

Unlike Analog MK2s, OT MK2 is same form factor as MK1, just a few mm deeper thanks to the jacks.

2 Likes

HAHA awesome post man

1 Like

Thanks for the correction @AdamJay I hope they are the same W/D so I can fit them in my case. Is the depth difference truly just due to the jacks at the back or can anyone at :3lektron: confirm if the chasis is the same ? This would make the difference if I start thinking about getting one sooner than later :smiling_imp:

MKI: Dimensions: W340×D181×H63 mm (13.4×7×2.4″)

MKII: W340 × D185 × H63 mm (13.4 × 7.3 × 2.5″)

10mm or 3/8 deeper metal casing/body ?

I’ve felt the new buttons and encoders by way of Heat (which I owned) and Digitakt which I tried and they are SUPERB.

This might help…
https://i.imgur.com/wG3RkgY.jpg

1 Like

Yeah,
The Good, the Bad, and the Octatrack… always one of my favorites.
Gotta love that score by Ennio Morricone…

2 Likes

Dude. Octatrack’s not ugly. It’s more like Pale Tracker. Shit comes to town. Octa rides in. Cleans it up with the crossfader. Leaves crowd in awe while travelling to next town.

I always thought Pale Rider to be one of Eastwood’s finest.

WHOA OFF TOPIC

4 Likes

Without having used MPCs, you don’t get to say that “punk” :troll:

1 Like

Once I’ve made up my mind, I never let the facts cloud my opinion.

7 Likes

The Octatrack, the Bad and the Ugly ?

For a Few Dollars More, you have MkII.
(Clint is back to topic)

1 Like

Faster, but price is twice.

1 Like

a valiant attempt :smiley:

also to mention as regards price - Silicon Power is more than twice the price of most cards although i’m thinking a 400x 16gb Silicon Power could be the way to go for possibly extra bonus performance when switching the unit on, loading projects, etc.

the new OT looks amazing, although must say the original black looks completely cool.

2 Likes

This thread was always about Clint. And you all know it.

2 Likes

I don’t think OT can make use of the extra speed this card has to offer as the USB 2 bus on OT isn’t fast enough - remember how old OT is - I don’t think they have changed the hardware for OT 2, so it would be a waste of the extra money

as indeed is the card that you recommended, even the factory 266x card has bandwidth to spare (remember, Elektron wouldn’t ship it with that if it could be revealed to be underspec or glitchy)

where you do get enhancements is on the loading to card from a computer, and that could possibly need a dedicated card reader to get the full benefit (i.e. outside OT)

so there’s not a great return for the extra cost (although later products may well be well made)

it strikes me that multiple smaller (fast enough) cards is a safer and easier system if you’re careful with insertion … as ever for everyone, ymmv

4 Likes

Yes, all true. I realised this after I bought the card. I always have a case of ‘must buy the best’ fever where money permits! :grinning:

3 Likes