Its horrible and seems unnecessary?!

Lines up nicely on my MK 1 :wink:

1 Like

Dear Octatrack MkII,

Please lower your price by about €250.

Sincerely yours,

Dude who wants to buy you

5 Likes

I must have ocd also. The new analogs look really good, shame about this one.

might have been a “typographical” decision moving some stuff a bit off symmetry (any UX pros/consi for thsis?)

Hopefully the new OT OS will add single midi note/cc assignments to the new OT Mk2 buttons

Therefore old OT users can use a midi controller to acccess the speedier workflow!

That’d be looking after your longtime loyal users real nice

4 Likes

Arrows go with yes/no, I think this decision is UX based.
Symmetry doesn’t bother me much.

Funnily enough, size is the only thing that bothers me on the mk2.
Separate outs, perf pot, more buttons, sound and screen, everything on paper charms me otherwise.
I can’t believe I am so attached to something as futile as og dimensions.

1 Like

It’s a bit more than that - with OB all the parameters for each track are on one page - you don’t have to keep flipping between pages. For me that makes a difference.

fair enough

I was again backpacking with my analog duo (rytm / a4 mk I) yesterday, and kept thinking “there’s no way I could carry two mk II’s with this bag”… Two boxes filled up the entire storage compartment of the pack with only room for the PSUs to spare…

I’m guessing a typo for topographical here :wink: … and on that basis I think the whole layout makes more sense. Though it jumps out at me too in the way flagged

The transport controls have priority equal spacing, and the ‘modifier/major’ [hold whilst reaching for another] buttons also have room … the rest fill the gaps …pressing no&< isn’t reqd iirc so they can afford to be closer … the MIDI button is south to clear it from the pot … so arguably ‘everything in its right place’ !

I think the lack of MIDI led is a loss, the user will maybe get used to lots of backlit buttons, whether that midi button is lit or coloured differently wouldn’t be as instantly spottable as a bright led … I think i’d miss the rec led, but I do get why they’ve gone this way. Looks the business though

if only this was the case, on the A4 the envelopes/lfos (and other bits iirc) are ‘stacked’ … ain’t no doubting the experience is luxurious and different, but I’ve never had an issue with sound design on the device ux, even though you only see 10 of the scores of parameters at one time

seeing the big picture on one screen is great, especially when it is the whole picture !

No, I meant “typographical” in the sense of how graphic designers make posters… Sometimes having everything symmetrical can look less “informative” than with slight offsets at the right places… There is some name for a design school that follows this IIRC, valhallaDSP and ableton adhere to this school somewhat… but anyhoo

2 Likes

Wow, this perfectly makes sense now that you talk about it.
I’ve been more and more interested in the UX subject, lately… Should look into it !

I feel like the MK2 Four and Rytm have completely overshadowed the Octa MK2 release. Has there been any new info on it? I’m on a preorder list but not hearing any new news from them (Sweetwater).
I’m now seeing listings on Reverb with estimated shipping Aug 1st.
Any one from Electron willing to share some info?
I was really hoping we get a video with Cenk going over whats new and showing off the MK2. You out there brother? Did you get one yet?
I’m super excited about it but I just want to make sure I’ll have the funds together when they call for the preorder payment.
Electron, Drop some details please. I’d even settle for an ambiguous teaser at this point :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s too early to ask ship dates. I expect, as was true with the Digitakt, that customers pre-orders direct from Elektron, go ahead of the shipments from retailers, i don’t recall exactly but it was at least a couple weeks.

It’s also too early for Cenk to have any units for show, the OT mkII is the first sheduled in August, so it’s weeks out from any view. Remember the pre-orders with Digitakt were pretty much site-unseen.

But i like you can’t wait – especially looking forward to the new RYTM with the sampling.

1 Like

OTMK2 is a repacked MK1.
There’s nothing new there to showcase if you ask me.

1 Like

Has that officially been confirmed? I’ve read that they confirmed that MK1 projects will work in MK2, but haven’t seen the reverse.
I know for the most part it’s the exact same machine, but I’m still hoping they will talk about some new features coming for both, or just MK2 or whatever.
At the very least, I hope they officially confirm they are tackling current issues in the OS.
I dropped my preorder on an AKAI Live after seeing the new version and then investigating the Octa more…what a beast, I honestly didn’t know it could do so much.
Anyway, I have the money now and I want to SPEND IT!!! First world problems huh…

1 Like

They said they share same OS so whatever changes come to MK2 it will arrive on MK1 as well.
It should be somewhere here in this post.

Here’s a post of mine from earlier, it did receive a “like” from an Elektron employee…

2 Likes