Introducing Octatrack MKII

That would be so great.

Now Iā€™m a bit of a nitpicker with a tinge of OCD
Why would they not make the OT MKII the same form factor as the new AR MKII ?
I have both on preorder new to the Elektron world.

Are there any video series that anyone can recommend that goes deep with these machines and how they integrate together?

Only Elektron knows right now. Some think maybe the OTmk2 is still meant for the original trinity and that maybe weā€™ll see a new box later to fit in the middle of the mk2 analogs, but that is pure speculationā€¦
The OT mk2 will work wonderfully with the analog mk2ā€™s though so not to worryā€¦
Iā€™m sure thereā€™s videos(with the mk1ā€™s) but someone else will have to point you to themā€¦

1 Like

Hey,
Do you think we will have some more info (about an OS update maybeā€¦) at the Summer NAMM tomorrow ?
If anyone here is going there, please ask :wink:
@Dataline : " this is more of an hardware update"ā€¦ Is it any kind of clue or just saying it is worth it ?
Iā€™m not an OT user yet and Iā€™m very confused if I should go for it or if this product is gonna be obsolete very soonā€¦

I was told the OT comes with a compact flash card. Is that true? Just want to order one up if it does not.

It does. Mine came with a rather slow Kingston.
I ordered Lexar Pro 1066 and I keep the Kingston as a backup.

1 Like

You can drop data from a computer onto a faster card in less time, but anything faster than stock 266x in terms of the OT performance/speed is wasted cash

It may now be harder to pick up slower cards cheaply though

Obviously the MKii will come with a compact flash card, it may well be the same one which shipped with recent MKi models if theyā€™re still easy to pick up

3 Likes

I read here somewhere that the stock cards have issues with long samples using static.
And what I read was several people agreeing to this.
Only reason I bought a faster card + Lexar is used by most PRO photographers that I know and they swear by them.

3 Likes

really dug this! great work :thup:

oh man, if they show the OT mk II and/or the analog mk IIā€™s at summer NAMM, people will get thirsty no doubt!

1 Like

Itā€™d be good to see the link to this, when I did a quick calc on the CF i/o worst case scenarios it seemed to me that there was a good factor of safety using the stock 266x card ā€¦ that would make sense, I canā€™t see why Elektron would sell it with a card that could show their product in a bad light ā€¦ so itā€™d be interesting to see the details

2 Likes

Had to jump in here with the 1000th comment. Have to say Iā€™m slowly coming around and I may pick this one up. Would be a first time OT user, seems like thereā€™s just enough here to warrant picking it over a MkI. I like the design much more than the MkIs and other MkIIs, by quite a long way.

What Open_Mike said about the Mk II A4 and RYTM new larger layout being intended for some other future box is certainly reasonable ā€“ i referenced that too elsewhere. The OT redo has got to be less expensive, and quicker and less risky to turn. There could be various reasons for that sort of decision, itā€™s reading tea leaves for now, and we may or may not ever know the reason. I too see the redesigns as positive news, despite having older Elektrons myself.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s not really any ā€œdeepā€ videos on using them together, but there are plenty about each device individually.
The ā€œintegrationā€ is fairly simple most of the time.
Set one to receive program changes on a specific channel, make proper clock and transport settings, then one will follow the patterns of the other.
Thereā€™s a few other things you can do, like have midi tracks on the OT control parameters of the other boxes.
Other than plugging one into the other for processing, thatā€™s about it for integration.

2 Likes

use an LFO, speed set to zero, routed to Pitch ā€¦ Trig type is ā€œtrigā€ set the LFO shape to be a sine wave or exponential up or down ā€¦ adjust the deepness of the effect of the LFO on the Pitch to achieve finer tuning.

to further reduce the Pitch tuning gradient, use another LFO, routed to Pitch, Trig type ā€œtrigā€, speed set to zero again ā€¦ set the wave type to be the opposite of the first wave type in its direction. Adjust the Depth parameter of both LFOā€™s to fine tune the pitch on variable non-standard increments.

5 Likes

As much as I feel this revision is pretty safe and tame with not a lot to offer over its predecessor, at least potential buyers can purchase this revised unit confident that at least it will work as advertised, as opposed to a completely new box.
The major advantage of a facelift only here is no new bugs to deal with,

3 Likes

thanks my friend!

2 Likes

So things have appeared quiet during Summer NAMM, I take it OTMKII (or AR/A4mkii) werenā€™t on display? Anyone speak to the team there and get any more insight on the difference in form factors? Or any other bits of info that might appease our speculative minds? :grinning:

OT mark Deuce.

1 Like

deuces never loses