Introducing Octatrack MKII

I am guessing that this is because OT will no longer be a part of the new “trinity”? Something is going to take its’ place in the new trinity lineup before long

(just speculating tho)

3 Likes

I think elektron are diversifying in purposes.

Studio(docked) vs performance(portable)

OT still shines in performing(hence no OB). And it might be likely that a linking box is in the works.

Personally im still hoping for a OB based mixer.

1 Like

My man, you’re a poet. I think they just ran out of time.

1 Like

i dont like new design

I think the mk II OT color is a homage to the original prototype. I don’t think elektron even intended it to match with the new analog mk II’s

1 Like

I’m super glad that the OT mkII is basically the older form factor with new hardware. I don’t care for the increase in size of the other new boxes. Love the grey of the new OT :smile:

2 Likes

Yep, I like the design of the Octatrack MKII over anything else they’ve done so far. The new boxes are modern in a sort of 1996 Hewlett Packard kind of way. It’s that grey. Maybe the light grey aluminium will look better in real life, but I’m getting Pentium 2 vibes from the pics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think a linking box or performance mixer seems quite likely. If the OverHub and OverBridge represent how Elektron sees the connections as important, launching two new smaller specialized units and then revamping the Dark Trinity seems, to me, to make a linking box/performance mixer very likely. Another possibility would be to bring back another older unit, but there has been a lot of strategy going on here, on how to balance the strengths of Elektron and grow, so I’m hoping they reveal more wonders soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, and the future is bright.

I believe elektron has got a fine breeze in their sailes.

1 Like

Maybe they will finally make the mixer/FX box thing, hence the increase in size.
Faders and such, sampling, all things.
The thing everyone wants but nobody has done it right yet.

3 Likes

I would pay Elektron $20,000 right now to make a performance mixer to dominate the MX-1.

Not that much I guess but that’s what I could pay lol.

2 Likes

hey. I could really use a new computer but no affordy. Can I interest you in custom-built just-for-you software for your Rytm? It’ll do whatever you want :wink:

3 Likes

Sure seems like it. The buttons on the Digitakt blew my mind, so responsive in a way I’ve never found on hardware before except on some Keith McMillan controllers. (I realize lots of people want different things out of buttons, but I’m in love with them.) So to relaunch the flagships with the new tech seems ideal.

From there, whatever Elektron does next seems like it will be really cool, since bringing back the MD or MM would be epic and a performance mixer is something that has been mentioned so much over the years that anyone trying to figure out what to do next would have to consider it.

I know it sounds crazy, but if I could preorder whatever Elektron announces next, I’d almost do it before I knew what it was… (Instead, I’ll start with the new OT and then probably the Rytm. I doubt I’ll be able to afford them all before something else gets announced.)

1 Like

It wouldn’t take too many people to crowdfund a proper perfomance mixer. Elektron doesn’t crowdfund, at least not yet. Seems to me it’s a digital mixer like the XR-18, with a UI, a sequencer and a whole lot of high performance internal software.

At the very least it would be fun to do a spec for one.

2 Likes

Nice mate, keep focus though!

Tools of the trade are important, but still tools.

1 Like

I think they splitted the tritity up in a analog duo and a digital, so hopefully there will be a digital synth to fill the emptyness after the MnM in a nice OT mkii design :slight_smile:

1 Like

This would be interesting indeed! I’ve always been curious about the MD & MNM but the lack of some features only implemented in the newer boxes has kept me from buying. Microtiming is the biggest one for me, multitrig copypaste is another. Do either MNM or MD have track shift (func+left/right in rec mode)? or swing trigs?

Does ‘high res encoder’ mean that I would be able to manipulate the pitch of a sample in less the 20 cent increments?

2 Likes

So no official commented on this yet?

Would be nice. One of my most wished for features would be finer resolution pitch control.

1 Like