Introducing Octatrack MKII

Just cancelled my preorder. Something is not right, I think some new machine is coming, perhaps next year…

My thoughts exactly, why bother with this superficial makeover? What’s the real reason for them abandoning development of the OT?

I reckon it’s because the original software developers are no longer around and nobody dares touch the original low-level code…

That’s exactly what I heard.
Plus, they have the DT as a base for development now.
My guess is 2018-2019 for V2

1 Like

I agree, we need some clarification on what’s going to happen with the Octa MK2.
I’m feeling a little slighted right now as I just bought AR and A4 not too long ago. The new versions of those are huge improvements over the MK1 yet the Octa is getting just a face lift?
I’m currently on a preorder list but I will be canceling soon if nothing is said about it. If I bought the Octa MK2 and next year they released the real version 2…I wouldn’t be able to support them in the future by buying new units anymore.

1 Like

new versions of the analogs are huge improvements? What do you mean? All I see is CV inputs and a yet undisclosed sampling option for the rytm. IMO these are not “huge improvements”

4 Likes

That’s how I see it too.
I got my A4 and OT brand new in the past two weeks. Looking at new preorder prices I managed to get them NEW for $500 less than MK2s. There’s NOTHING in MK2s that would make me change my mind. I literally can buy a Digitakt with those savings and still have over $300 towards SE-02 for example.
Lets face it. The A4 and OT sound same today as they sounded a yesterday, week ago, month ago, year ago.
Why would you buy something you didn’t want in the first place?
Full 3 years warranty for A LOT less and minus few improvements.

2 Likes

I hear what you’re saying. I think I’m going to wait to see what OS improvements/bugfixes may be on the way for the OT (to confirm if the OT mkII gets anything more than the mkI). PLUS I have no money right now and my OT mkI works great :smile:

2 Likes

Will the new OT be able to be racked? I see the design of the new AR and A4 look different.

I believe the Ot mk II still has the original form factor, also side screw holes for the rack ears seem to be still there

2 Likes

Well I beg to differ. Adding sampling to RYTM is very huge. Also, Streaming all channels via OB is very huge!!
Analog four is getting a bass improvement… that’s literally making the sound, dare I say, huge-er!

ok then. to me those are improvements, but not huge ones, especially since we know no details of how the sampling will work, and most importantly, how the sample file management will work.

Point is they’re pretty significant hardware and software changes, while the OT just got cosmetic upgrades (plus slightly better screen and pots). It’s a clear message that It’s now ‘finished’.

1 Like

Many new Elektrons to come, every year a new shade of grey for winter collection ! :sketchy:

9 Likes

Very good photoshop :stuck_out_tongue: perfectly done

1 Like

Given how much is going on, maybe a new color will get launched for the next Fall Season…

2 Likes

I’ll admit that narrow set up is how I use the OT. I decided after owning it a few years ago and attempting to use its live loop sampling abilities, I’d get it again knowing its strengths and weaknesses.
I don’t currently use any other boxes besides preamps into the OT, so it’s necessarily master in my setup. I’ve never used an Echoplex, though. Just Boss loopers (1 & 2 pedal, and I TRIED a Pigtronix Infinity for a year or so).

I do like your first suggestion “pickup loop remultiply”. It seems very logical to do this with that blank encoder and thus make it midi controllable. Real time programming of pickup loop time changes (resulting in a polymeter if you have OT’s sequence involved) would be very cool!
Final thought on this: my needs are admittedly different in a practical sense. I hope Elektron implements this, as it’s a beautiful feature of the Echoplex. but I’m okay currently with performative work in which I will set a stringed instrument down to manipulate the OT interface perhaps picking up another in the process or having a loop of the instrument already, I use a hand to play the OT. It’s ever evolving. I’ll check out the polysampling thread, too. Thanks for posting about this.
:wink:
Edit: forgot, I’d used Ableton as a looper for years too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No one should use F or G imho… Stick with E or H; just decide which features / bugs are better / worse; or hang out for I

3 Likes

a4 mk1 has just enough bass frequencies already

2 Likes

I actually like the look
of the new Elektron MKii Boxes

Angled and with grabbable edges

So why not give the Octatrack MKii the same new style body ?

Appreciate the new stuff either way.

Love and Respect

1 Like