Introducing Octatrack MKII

Waiting is an emergency. Even forgeting it for a while ! :content:

I would say so. IMO conditional trig is the biggest update to the Elektron sequencer we have ever seen. Iā€™ve been on board since the early days of the MD, and while I love the legacy instruments, the sequencers have begun to feel fairly primitive after the introduction of the conditional trigs. I can get more mileage out of one pattern on my DT or AR than using 7-8 patterns on the MD mkI

3 Likes

I do! Its amazing! Also, we should hang out! I live in the east bay.

Your daydreams are kinda similar to mine. Remember the elektron CEO praising the new hardware on the DT? Well what if this same new hardware is onboard the OT mk II? :wink:

I know, just speculation and most likely false

2 Likes

But you see my point, that pixel depth and resolution matter.

They matter when youā€™re watching movies and gaming, no doubtā€¦ But with elektron, the display has always been ā€œa necessary evilā€ ie. as little visual distraction as possible. They want you to use your ears.

Iā€™ve always found it bizarre that some people claim to be able to program the analog synths better via overbridgeā€¦ To me itā€™s always just been the same, the gfx is just much bigger.

2 Likes

Well if they want me to use their instrumentsā€¦ :sweat_smile:

it depend about people abilitiesā€¦ weā€™re not equal with aptitude and abilities regarding task. itā€™s like memory when you learning : some need to write things to memorized ā€¦ some need to repeat in their head and itā€™s recordedā€¦ some need to read or hearing one time and itā€™s Marked as red-hot.

Thereā€™s nothing weird to see a filter in action rather to hear it. if you able to feel and understand it at the same time. Whatā€™s weird is people who reproduce visually what they seen in tutorialā€¦ without to decide primarily by hear of their audio shaping, decision. you can see and make some choiceā€¦ but at the end the only tool to trust is your hears and not your eyes :wink: THAT I AGREE ANYTIME :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m imagining the elektron procurement department:
ā€œHey, do we really have to order 1,000 hard to find old widget chips and unobtainable transistors from the late 1990s that were in the Mk1? There are much faster cheaper alternatives available?ā€
Management ā€œyes, order the older slower more expensive stuff, particularly if they are unavailableā€

3 Likes

Yes good point. But I am still puzzled by what the heck that original comment by the CEO actually meant? If he was so impressed with the new hardware then surely something groundbreaking will be made with that hardware when they eventually have gotten comfortable coding their DSP to it? Something tells me the DT is just a test-bed for this new techā€¦ Will be very fascinating to see if this same hw is onboard the OT mk II or not.

Duncan ā€œOmā€ MacDougall (c. 1866 ā€“ 1920) was an early 20th-century physician in Haverhill, Massachusetts who sought to measure the mass lost by a human when the soul departed the body at death.

The Octatrack MkII is 100g lighter than the MkI.

The plock thickens.

12 Likes

Universally being able to edit multiple non-adjacent steps at once is an equally important update to the Elektron sequencer, IMO. it makes the parameter locking workflow so much faster , and itā€™s something iā€™ve always wished my octatrack had in common with the newer boxes.

2 Likes

What about multicopy/paste of trigs in the seq? I forgot if this works on the OT already or not. A superbly handy feature when dealing with intricate plock programming!

mkII is the same as MkI OS and CPU wise. big shame

Has it been confirmed that the cpu is same?

I got to say itā€™s a bit fishy to charge more for mk2 if it uses same cpu that is a lot cheaper now than in 2011 when mk1 was released. DSI did the right thing with Prophet 08 Rev 2 and lowered the price compared to rev1 even though they added features and oled screen etc.

Well I cant guarantee the CPU is the same as i donā€™t have one but it has been confirmed that MKII will have the exact same functionality as MkI. It will not perform functions that the MKI cannot do. I would be happy for someone to correct me.

1 Like

In case they have upgraded internal hardware, too, we may see a different branch of updates software-wise available only for MKII, I think. As +Drive was a hidden feature in Analog Four until an update turned it on, E.g. I see the possibility of an unlocked OB integration for MKII :slight_smile: But better time-stretching, extended chromatic bounds can also be imaginable. Assuming, they have really upgraded the internal hardware, of course.

1 Like

I might have missed it, but I didnā€™t read anywhere that Mk2 cannot and will not ever perform functions the Mk1 cannot?

The impression I got was that mk1 projects are compatible with mk2, but that is it, which is something different.

There is wide scope for endless speculation under such conditions!

2 Likes

I would just accept what Elektron are stating on this product which is it has the same functionality as the MKI.

3 Likes
1 Like