Introducing Model:Samples

Love the price and the dedicated controls, but 6 voice is pretty damn stingy.

3 Likes

I sometimes forget that the musical hardware community can be a lot like PC game communities. Some of y’all are some salty nerds.

6 Likes

I don’t get this box. LOTS of overlap with digitakt, another new form factor, not to mention a new price bracket. To be fair my only Elektron device was DT which I moved on from due to some limitations and the OB debacle (though I do miss the sound). My experience is limited with Elektron devices, but this seems like a step down and backward for Elektron.

I see many more requests for a performance mixer or a new MnM or even a sequencer only box, all of which, would be far more interesting imo.

It seems like the initial disappointment around here relates to:

1. It’s not a MnM/MD-type box reissue
  2. The price point for what it offers is too high
  3. Its form-factor
  4. The perception that it’s a watered-down DT

The first few points I think everyone will eventually get over or agree to disagree on. Of course everyone wants Elektron to put out a deep and fancy new box, and if this is more representative of what’s to come from Elektron, then maybe it is a bit worrisome. The OT and Analog and Rytm series all feel like genuinely innovative instruments, and this one does appear to be focused on a market that may already be somewhat crowded.

That said, on the last point - that this is a watered down DT - I think that maybe when the dust settles and we see more demos, its differences will become apparent. Even from the couple good demos already out there, it’s pretty clear that the function-per-knob setup and velocity-sensitive pads make this thing first and foremost focused on live playability. Cenk’s demo is just built up from scratch. The relationship between the pads and retrigs/rolls suggests that this thing is meant to be an instrument first and a brain only secondarily. I think it makes a ton of sense for Elektron to leverage its sequencing expertise in this way.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing what people do with this thing. I don’t see it in my own rig - I am much more a plodding sequencer type, and have to practice my lines on the keystep before committing them - but there are for sure a ton of people out there who I expect will make some fantastic noise with this thing.

But yeah…all that said: new big boxes, plz Elektron.

6 Likes

The idea of this thing is growing on me now due to the thought of being able to integrate this with my DAW setup, and have it sequence various Plugins. It’s much more compact than most small midi controllers, and its light weight would make it ideal for this kind of thing I think. I could maybe sequence Tremor or Microtonic with this :thinking:

1 Like

Hmm, feels like a missed chance. Sadly not my cup of tea. Good thing: more money left for something like Waldorf Kyra…

Can this be powered by USB? :pray:

The manual doesn’t mention it so I’m thinking no. USB only for sample transfer, audio and midi only.

Speaking of that, I wonder how audio over usb will work considering there’s no OB? Will it have to be used as the default soundcard, like Roland gear?

2 Likes

You know you could get a battery pack to power up any of those devices. Just like packs for the Digitakt. There is no problem with that and I personally don’t need battery with elektron logo on it, which wouldn’t ne the cheapest I reckon.
If it comes to plastic, once you ding it it will crack. These devices are not usualy handheld like tablets or phones where weight would matter so much. I prefer it to be solid just like other elektrons.

and midi? i hope

1 Like

Yep USB midi is there. Kinda reduces the dongle pain a bit.

Is that just smart sample selection in the demos or does it sound more vintage/analog and gritty than for example the OT?

I like the sound of my OT but the filters make it sound extremely hifi and futuristic. Doesn‘t go well sonically with my old synths.

Btw I‘m a bit unhappy with this forum. First blocked me from logging in too often. Then blocking me from posting because of double posting an already deleted post. Too many micromanagement rules destroy the user experience.

1 Like

The forum is getting hammered with traffic just now so it’s not working as well as it should.

In other news, I kinda like how the multimode filter has been slimmed down to just one knob, it’s very efficient and makes much more sense than the DT’s implementation, especially for ctrl all tweaks. A ‘width’ parameter like on OT would have been nice but obviously knobbage is limited here

Filter Cutoff sets the cutoff frequency of the low-pass/high-pass filter. Negative parameter values make
the filter function as a low-pass filter. Positive parameter values make the filter function as a high-pass
filter. (-64–+63)

3 Likes

Oh boy… if elektron didn’t open the overbridge beta testing for almost everyone’s before this release, i think that someone wold put fire on their Headquarters around the world.

I think too that they take something, recycled it and put out this model thing…

I think is a little bit too much the strategy of the 1gb on something that you have to feed with samples… Can’t really understand it on Digitakt and Analog Rytm either, a 1600€ thing

It could be a big mistake put the expectation very high and then just show this.

I’ve the idea that most of the user of their products don’t feel this thing.
Everybody’s waiting for more

1 Like

Man lots of people don’t get this thing. Heat had that too at first. (Edited misspelling)

1 Like

This is already possible on my Analog Four, when its synced to esx, i can press trigs and the locked parameter will sound on the active sound, its pretty fun, It might only work in slaved mode, im not sure (i can look into this / make a demo vid, hit me a pm, i dont want to derail the thread) .

1 Like

Am I correct in thinking the M:S is missing filter envelope functionality?

Yes

2 Likes

It’s not missing, it’s pining for the fjords.

7 Likes

Seeing as how the DC input is a mere 5W, I imagine with the right USB-A to DC Barrel 5V DC adapter cable, it might be possible.’ Which barrel size is needed remains to be seen.

I power my 1st gen iConnectMIDI usb host using such an adapter

1 Like