Introducing Model:Samples

This whole thread can be summarized similarly to loyalists vs. patriots.

I understand loving Elektron and everything they create but they are one of the most unique hardware companies out there for a reason. No one wants to see them become the next xyz company, I want them to stay Elektron and for the reasons they have been in the first place and kill the market they own. They’ve always tailored to the high-end market, IMO the mid-level groovebox market is pretty saturated. Will I ever get one of these? Maybe, and only if it’s around $200, solely for the purpose of real-time alteration which is a bit easier than on the DT. I like to use my machines as instruments and this does have that nuanced feature especially with velocity sensitive pads. I don’t like the features, design, overall capabilities, or the plastic body.

If you think about it, Elektron hasn’t really made such a generic piece of kit until this. Prior, everything they sold had a rightful place somewhere with little competition, this has a bunch of competition and many similar devices in nature and capabilities, even if it is the best in its class, which is arguable.

6 Likes

I’d rather have a $170 Circuit with two synths than it as well…

What were you replying to of mine exactly? I lost track and can’t tell if you’re arguing against a point I made or supporting it… :robot:

I think there’s a lot for digitakt owners here to really not have to worry about canibalisation etc ie 2 less tracks, no locks, no ob, no sampling, no compressor, no independent midi tracks. The DT is a beast compared to this thing but the M:S certainly has some tricks up its sleeve. Honestly if I was starting out I would buy one, people are going to make great tunes with it. I’ve only had my DT a month or so, so I’m happy with what I’ve got and don’t feel concerned about this new product impact on my buy. It was different when I had the A4 / AR and then the mkii’s dropped. That salty water was hard to swallow

4 Likes

haha you said it was a Circuit killer, where I don’t think it is. maybe you meant that it was targeting that market. (also to be clear I meant the two synths in the circuit, not using the money to buy synths). cheers!

1 Like

Anyone else notice how the velocity sensitive pads in the Perfect Circuit / Baseck video are different than the ones you see in Elektron promotion? Just an outline lights up, instead of the whole pad.

Maybe they had an earlier version different from the final production version?

34%20PM

58%20PM

6 Likes

Couple of questions I can’t figure out from the manual

1. Does retrig get sent over midi?

2. Can you plock the reverse and loop buttons?

This is the #1 thing I wish the Digitakt had…

1 Like

Strange indeed.

Is the case metal or plastic?

I guess the consensus here is that it’s plastic. Considering the pricepoint, weight and the logo which is embossed into the front.

4 Likes

Well, that demo was pretty convincing. Sounds great, looks fun as hell. Nice product!

Yep, but they decided to stick that in a different box instead!

It’s going to come to the DT, don’t worry. I really want it too!

That is a shame if it’s all plastic.

I’m happy! The first piece of Elektron gear I haven’t been compelled to buy. I’m sure a lot of newcomers will enjoy it though.

So in almost every second of the various material we have seen of this machine so far the melody work is a single sampled chord pitched around. This demonstrstes that it is painfully limited. No matter how great the sequencer is without slices or more channels there just isnt enough to really work with on its own. For me a 6 channel digital drum machine in this format would’ve worked so much better because at least you could’ve been satisfied with a 6 part drum pattern

2 Likes

I noticed that too. Seems like a great machine for making Juke stuff on, I guess.

With what seems to be going on in some of the better demos there has never been a knob per function groove box that sounds as good in my book… which give it a unique angle as a performance instrument. Digitakt is also very preformable but this maybe even more so? I dunno it looks unique enough in my book and like elektron wasnt just going after a list of features like I feel korg roland and novation often feel like feature lists that don’t live up to the final product while elektron stuff more often than not feels like you realize the tools put together makes something greater as a whole.

1 Like

Sorry stuck at work but this little guy looks like you could draw all over it with felt tips then wipe it off!
Is this the intention I wonder, everyone rushing to buy whiteboard markers and graffitied boxes all over the place?

I kind of like the idea. Even if it’s just mine :shushing_face:

EDIT Also, no attack parameter, not even as a shift function on the decay knob for a simple a/d?

As an entry model its great.
It’s not particularly attractive, electribe vibes.
I think maybe I’ve got the scoop of the good elektron gear. Md/mm/ot
The analog range never appealed. (no midi out? Really?)
I just hope they bank a load on this and reinvest it into making something truly innovative.
Y’know. Like they used to x

1 Like