Introducing Model:Samples

better to go with timeless classic than declarative arrogance.

all of the above invite stickers!

2 Likes

I find it a little bizarre that in 2018 Ā£410 only gets you 6 x mono sample tracks. Not sure if anyone except for elektron would get away with that :wink: No timestrech or poly or fx per track so Iā€™m not really sure where the cpu tax is coming from where itā€™s so much that they couldnā€™t have at least stretched to 8 samplesā€¦ I guess the per track filter and drive algos must be pretty hardcore?

7 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t see the appeal with that at all, but each to their own! :slight_smile:

Wishful thinking, but maybe those circles in the side open up and let you slip a battery in??

the big news is that Elektron has a new line of machines. maybe you donā€™t need or like this one, but when they make one with a synth engine or dsp-driven drums, you might.

4 Likes

Digitakt with 6 tracks but more intuitive

Indeed several machines expected reality or false

i am hoping that the omission of audio inputs only means that thereā€™s a multi-input Model:FX with knob per function + cross fader on the way :star_struck:

2 Likes

In my experience you can do just fine BD, Sn, HH. Thatā€™s 3 parts rhythm, 3 parts music. I assume this thing only sequences mono notes? If chords can be sent that would be pretty compelling

DT = more intuitive than OT. MS = more intuitive than DTā€¦All other companies are adding more complex features while Elektron are taking theirs away :wink: Kidding. Can see some appeal in this but it should be reflected a little more in the price imhoā€¦

1 Like

Printing and cutting vinyl for the MS should be pretty easy. You would probably have to do two pieces because of the ridge that runs around the controls. Or you could just do the part around the outside, which would look nice too.

1 Like

that was my thought ā€“ Model:Analog, Model:FM, etc. may be on the way

I think itā€™s for letting an iPhone/Pad have an audio out, Which I would totally love, but without inputs itā€™s also a dead end for an iOS interface.

the price : back-panel-disappointment ratio :dismayed:

4 Likes

Model (digital) Subtractive seems closer to what we could expect. And even then- Iā€™m not sure how it could work in a groove box. With samples youā€™ve got a pretty good starting point, with synthesis, and with only 12 parameters for an entire synth voice- it seems like a hefty thing to try to base a groove box on.

1 Like

Model:SID

4 Likes

the volca sample is a really great little machine in the right hands ā€¦ i can see how the Model could be, in a similar vein. function for function, they are different; hard to say which is ā€˜betterā€™ but probably the Model given its buttons, screen, effects, filter per track, memory capacity.
It is an interesting comparison though if the mission is instant, battery driven, shallow menu, sample doodling.

You certainly donā€™t have toā€¦but I for one love taking a machine on the train, to a cafe, or the Korean spa.

1 Like

Iā€™m not disappointed, but soooo not interested.
I guess itā€™s not for people like me.

3 Likes

You can do that with DT DN with a little battery.

1 Like