Introducing Model:Samples

same, OB on this would have gotten me interested.

I canā€™t decide if I like this one or not. Thereā€™s something about it I do like and itā€™s dorky looks actually resonate with me. But as good as some of the demos sound, Iā€™m not hearing anything that couldnā€™t be done on a DT and with the DTā€™s inputs Iā€™d be more likely to get those happy accidents that happen when in the zone and messing with samples.

But, portability is def cool. Such a shame you canā€™t get some sort of audio easily into it on the go. Would be a really OP-Z pal.

Gonna keep my eye on it but really, when you can get a 2nd hand as new DT in the UK for cĀ£450 I do struggle to reconcile the value in it. The battery handle will probably be another Ā£50 on top too.

Still, there is something oddly appealing about it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s like an introduction to Elektron. People will make cool beats and tracks with this thing and when theyā€™re ready to take things to the next level, they can get the DT. I think the difference between this and he DT are precisely perfect- this thing is awesome for what it offers meanwhile DT still has an inviting set of features for people that want to upgrade and be able to track out their stuff individually.

The more I think about this thing, the more exciting it is- on a high level scale.

Of course a new mega-box would have been cool. But this thing offers a great deal of value

6 Likes

What does sample length 0-120 mean in the manual.(track parameters).

This thing is really getting me excited about the Minilogue XDā€¦ I think Korg gave us the drum synth we wanted from Elektronā€¦

Hope for elektron that it works out for them like that. But for the sake of Ā£100 I think a lot of kids will just save up a little longer and cop DT to begin withā€¦Ā£100 is just a very marginal gap. A Ā£200 box would have been a way cleaner addition to the range in terms of ā€˜I can afford this one but I definitely canā€™t afford that oneā€™.

1 Like

my 2 cent: (it represents my own opinion - not more, not less)

just another sampler - great, not! :frowning: :confused: :sad: - why do we need it?
arenā€™t digitakt and octatrack not enough? other manufactures also have samplers in that range ā€¦ and they arenā€™t well sold.

also you can get a digitakt in used condition pretty cheap ā€¦

colour: white - come on! white!?!?!?

sure there is no need to buy it but I am little disappointed thought something cool (mixer with fx, another great synth) would happen - it didnā€™t

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the Model: Samples is geared towards those who make techno or house music (thank god).

2 Likes

Why someone has to sit on the bus or anywhere in public to make somthing is beyond my understanding

4 Likes

this is like a digitakt for people who got the digitone maybe? always seemed a little silly to get the other if you already bought one of the two. honestly having the digitakt, i would really love another instrument in this line thatā€™s more like the digitone. like a monotimbral, knob-per-function 4-voice fm? iā€™d buy that right away at this price pointā€¦

18 Likes

Iā€™m not opposed to this device as a sampler / drum machine type unit. I was actually considering getting a Volca Sample to pair with my Machinedrum, or perhaps an old Electribe ER 1. This might just tick the box for me. However, my gripes are the look of it is not pleasing to the eye in my opinion and the price point is too high. Maybe this will go the way of the Yamaha Reface series, not sell many units, and prices will drop to $300. I would pay that. Looks super immediate with itā€™s workflow, thatā€™s a plus when you have 2 toddlers.

2 Likes

Lol

A looper! Just what I needed!

Wait, a looper that has no inputs?..I donā€™t have any use for that kind of pooper.

Props for class compliant USB audio thoughā€¦but again, without having audio inputs I donā€™t have any use for that either.

Itā€™s TOO simplified. Too expensive. Digitone and Takt are only slightly more expensive, but megatons more useful(still breeze to use). Digitone have midi tracks too, but they donā€™t eat internal tracks, AND, that can control numerois parameters of the external devices.

5 Likes

You said pooper, hehe

I wish Elektron will make an subtile alliance with STYLEFLIP https://www.styleflip.com/style for the machineā€™s printing patterns

final5c423782cb33c

4 Likes

Dr2mb3_XQAUYS9P

8 Likes

Aye but isnā€™t it 6 tracks samples and midi combined? So add more than a couple of synths on your phone and youā€™ve hamstrung your drums on the M:S :frowning:

From the manual pg 39 about headphone and main out audio:

11.4.2 INT OUT
Sets if Model:Samples sends audio to the MAIN OUT and HEADPHONES OUT or not.
OFF sends no audio.
AUT sends audio unless you are sending and receiving audio over USB. If so, the Model:Samples detects this and sends no audio to MAIN OUT and HEADPHONES OUT.
ON sends audio.

So the part about: ā€¦ unless you are sending and receiving audio over USB,

This could be read as:
ā€œsend audio from the MS and receiving on you computerā€
or as
ā€œsending and receiving audio with your MSā€

If it receives audio (that is digital audio via USB) then perhaps it could sample it directly, rather than only receiving samples, by the transfer of audio files using Transfer.

I somehow donā€™t think the MS can receive digital audio over USB. But iā€™m confused by what i read in the manual. I canā€™t (as yet) find more about this in the manual.

Any thoughts.

No grafix so cool

Change shirt and stop ties !