Introducing Digitakt

Why would there be a stereo input if it automatically sums both channels?

You know, it seems totally logical, but Elektron doesn’t always implement the most logical features. Such as the ability to edit the starting points of samples on the RYTM with precision, or the ability to send midi note data from a DAW to the midi out port of the AH. You would think that if the DT did indeed have the ability to record two mono samples simultaneously it would have been clarified by an Elektron representative by now. I wouldn’t give Elektron the benefit of the doubt, and assume they’d do what I perceive is logical. This is based upon past experiences.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Why would they not allow the choice of just using L or R input (or both at once to separate channels) when the feature has existed since the MD?

I’m interested in the DT as a little partner to my OT,

but I can’t help but to think how sad it is to have only mono samples in here,

why the hell should all drums be mono?? Elektron are just proving they put their forward-thinking philosophy away for some times.

since I moved to the OT and a more “experimental” sound sourcing (using mostly reaktor synthesis engines), my drum kits are made of lots of stereo samples. Only the kick and subbass are mono for me now… I use pan-wide claps and hats, and lots of synthesized alien “drums” shots also wide-panned…

Using the DT for this task seems like an awkward regression for me…

DT definitely seems to follow a really simple and classical design, and seeing you guys speculating about silly elektron-minded magical twists in this little “cheap” box makes me think there will be some great frustration when it is finally released, and Elektron will only be able to say “that’s it guys, we told you, a simple and affordable great sounding mono-drum sampler and sequencer… nothing fancy under the pots, we told you so!”

DT will stay simple I’m pretty sure. THIS IS NOT FOR US !!!

They just keep on releasing more affordable gear so as to get more sales with a wider customer base, so as to get enough money to get back to real forward-thinking machines à la Elektron…

Or they’ll just end up releasing little dedicated boxes and FXs, safer to produce and sell than our beloved expensive alien machines that made Elektron a real passionnate name and user base…

REALITY CHECK!

1 Like

I really can’t see much advantage to the DT if you already own the other Elektron boxes - it feels like it’s aimed at people new to Elektron gear who’ve been dissuaded by the high tariff attached.

The ÂŁ600 price tag is WAY too close to the MPC Live which, spec-wise, walks all over it.

1 Like

I bet there will be something different about it. We haven’t even seen any indication of how many parameter screens there are, what kind of effects are included etc. I’m actually kinda starting to think about replacing my MD with an octatrack now, instead of replacing it with the DT. Gotta give this some thought…

From what’s been said all I can see that’s new is a MIDI sequencer with conditional trigs. Great, but not £600 great.

1 Like

i see this as a good machine. it doesnt replace anything as such, it compliments existing. it will show the users skills, not much to hide behind… if you get one and it doesnt work out id say its the users issue… a well made, solid machine that will intertwine with your daw through overbridge and the updated overbridge giving even more hands on control without forking out for one of those awful mpc update things

top job… well priced.

3 Likes

I’m just really pleased Elektron have gone back & given us another slice of what they do best (IMHO ) : digital.

Let’s have those lovely clear, detailed,open, spacey sounding filters a 'la MonoMachine & Octatrack back , not all the ‘analog wool’
that’s made me try & fail, before finally giving up on both the Analog4 & the RYTM.

Sorry - I’m genuinely not trying to be a pr*ck here or upset anyone : but it is my heartfelt opinion. And of course I’m sure it differs with most, & that’s cool.

With that in mind, subject to full spec release, colour me interested in the Digitakt.

3 Likes

Re mono vs stereo argument - I’d like to remind you that a lot great music has been made with mono sources (samples) - not to mention the legendary drum machines which most have been mono or generated (pan able in stereo) mono sounds.
Folks making dance music to be played in clubs - many (famous) club sound systems are designed to be mono so - all the stereo information will collapse to mono, which depending on how the track has been mixed, will result in it sounding close to the original or not aka not that good - phase cancellation - a lot of stuff will simply dissapear or change its volume in the mix etc.

3 Likes

I get what you mean, but I find it harsh to be stuck between the boundaries of what has existed before and limits of club sound systems…

this is not forward-thinking, this is IMO proper undue limitations,

hell yeah let’s make the same music again and again :wink:

Some points to consider are these machines were made during an era when memory was expensive and limited; they didn’t offer 1GB of memory. Although the MPC 60 only offered up to 1.5 MB of RAM, its latest OS even had a work around solution for faithfully recording stereo samples by recording one at a time and merging them. Isn’t that incredible? The ancient MPC 60 has a way to give its users the ability to work with stereo samples whereas the modern 2017 DT is looking like it will not. Another consideration is that these legendary drum machines all offered individual outputs to allow processing them through your mixers with effects like a stereozing chorus for example.

2 Likes

I’d imagine being under an NDA or working for Elektron right now would lead to many bite marks on the tongue…

Question for people who have octatrack : I WILL buy elektron sampler in April, the question is why would I buy DT over OT ?

Because that’s what your budget allows.

Struggling to think of any other reason… Maybe OB

1 Like

And maybe size, symplicity…

Depends on what you’re looking to use it for. To me, the DT is a drum machine first and foremost and will likely be best for shorter percussive samples.

1 Like

never said “let’s make the same music again”, just pointing out couple facts about stereo vs mono. :wink:

The DT is so close to what I want, but my needs aren’t the same as everybody else’s. The polyphonic sequencer is very desirable. If there were a nice characterful compressor for the master, I don’t think I’d be able to resist. The digital compressor algorithms on the Teenage Engineering OP-1 and the Boss/Roland SP-303/404 are the best part of those samplers. Even the MD has a compressor.

2 Likes

New sequencer. A thing of awesome.

But you can fake it with the LFO designer.