Introducing Digitakt

Yeah quite true, I will never sell mine as well.

I wasnt giving it much love lately as I kept using the same old filter trick to beef up my kicks. it made them all sound the same.

So has anyone from Elektron confirmed that the Digitakt is not capable of recording stereo samples with its stereo inputs yet? Also, any info regarding whether the Digitakt is capable of playing stereo samples by somehow linking two tracks together?

No and no. No confirmation yet.

1 Like

A few posts up Jon confirms samples are mono only, but you can pan them. I canā€™t see much point in recording in stereo if the samples are then converted to mono taking away any stereo effectā€¦

You could obviously use 2 tracks for 2 panned mono samples but this surely defeats the object of stereo sampling in any traditional senseā€¦ or maybe Iā€™m missing a trick ? but if it was possible Iā€™m sure theyā€™d be shouting about it now, in the wake of a fully fledged DAW like sampler about to drop.

I just cant see what the point of stereo sampling would be tho, as the units sample handling is confirmed multiple times to be mono ?

I guess The L and R are for 2 different input sources ? Or a cheeky bonus somewhere down the lineā€¦ but for now, itā€™s mono and proud.

EDIT - itā€™s mono because itā€™s aimed at percussion and this is clearly how they intend most of us to use it.

Stereo sampling would make sense if there is an easy way to play them back and manipulate them by pairing up two tracks (if the OS is designed with this functionality in mind). Iā€™m actually looking for a sampler I can use to quickly sample cassette tapes, and I want it to sample in stereo to maintain the stereo image of a lot of the cool samples from the 80ā€™s Iā€™ve found. This is the one deciding factor for me with regards to the DT at this point. If it is confirmed that it will easily handle and manipulate stereo samples, Iā€™d preorder one right now.

^ I hear ya, itā€™s certainly a nice thing to haveā€¦

but the samples as far as anyone official has said, are 100% converted to mono. That means the original stereo effect you want to retain will have already been summed to monoā€¦ 2 panned mono samples will give you stereo flexibility, but they will be just thatā€¦ 2 brand new converted mono samples.

I think :blush:

Vaguely recall mono samples being confirmed way up the thread? Maybe theyā€™ll add stereo samplingā€¦

But if DT is their ā€˜budget boxā€™ and labelled as a drum sampler etc, and it already beats OT on conditional trigs, faster workflow etcā€¦ Iā€™d guess theyā€™re gonna wanna focus it away from OT as much as they can elsewhere so as not to kill too many OT sales. Until OT2 comes along it seems like the OT is still gonna be their flagship/ā€˜do it allā€™ sampler, judging by pricing. Just a shame it doesnā€™t have conditional trigs!

19 posts were split to a new topic: Using 2 mono tracks for stereo effect

will it be able to achieve some form of granular synthesis? :pray:

1 Like

Check out the Gotharman Little Deformer, Anomono X, or Fuzion. Spendy, but so much awesome granular possibilities you canā€™t find elsewhere. I have my targets set on the Fuzion to pair with my Anamono X so I can work with stereo samples.

http://www.gotharman.dk/

2 Likes

I have confidence there will be some tasty secret sauce in the pipeline with reguards to how DT handles its ā€œmonoā€ samples. :sunny:

EDIT - I meant to add, full on Elektron style Granular would be a clever direction to take DT down its own path.

1 Like

the intention is planned, just awaiting some DT demo vids

On a slightly different tip from the current conversation, do you think we will see more of Digitakt before Superbooth?.

I recently listened to the 1st Feb NAMM catchup from Sonicstate, and Nick Batt (who seems to know Cenk quite well) mentioned we probably wouldnā€™t see anything new until Superbooth.

Superbooth is 20th - 22nd April, so that mentioned April release date seems kinda strange in that context.

Anyone else concerned about the possible lack of Song mode on DT (based on front panel)? MIDI tracks have me interested, but Iā€™ll probably pass if Song mode has been cut.

2 Likes

damn sweet toys! (expensive too)

1 Like

So worth it imo. Iā€™d rather spend hundreds more to be able to do ā€œnext-levelā€ granular things to my samples than have multiple more affordable devices that canā€™t dream of doing the same things.

Yeah man, Itā€™s Deffo all about the gear : )

Great discussion about the mono to stereo concepts, moved to a new thread: Using 2 mono tracks to create a stereo signal

6 Likes

Iā€™m still unclear as to whether or not the DT is capable of recording two different mono samples simultaneously or not. Do we know for certain it canā€™t? If it can, yes, you can just manually assign the two different mono samples (that are the L and R signals of the stereo signal) to two different tracks and boom, you have stereo. Not knowing basic shit like this has gotten so annoying, I almost dislike the DT at this point. Itā€™s just this annoying thing I know almost nothing about. Iā€™m getting a Gotharman Fuzion instead dammit.

We donā€™t know yet.

1 Like