Introducing Digitakt

Lots of reasons.

It would cannibalize existing products.

It may cannibalize future products.

It may add to the development costs and therefore put the product into a higher price point than what the company desires.

Etc.

how should i build my Risers and Drops without that???

The engineer would say get creative. The sales person would say get Analog Rytm.
:diddly:

2 Likes

Flux da Erf!

Yeah, i already have the Rytm :wink: So the Sales Person won - back in 2014 already. His name was Cenk and he gave me a T-Shirt as well …:yum:

Ok, i got ya Adam. So no Performances/Scenes, whatsoever. Manually programming the Risers/Drops … errrm, does it at least have Trigless Trigs and Slides?! :slight_smile:

Well, im waiting for the videos now. Im excited what Cenk will come up with :wink:

I’m sure it was mentioned a while back that DT would also bring with it an OB upgrade that allowed easy transferring of samples. Is it safe to assume that this OB upgrade will be applicable to AR too?

My AR is on a shoogly peg right now. I love how samples sound through it and the scenes/performance elements are great but I just find it a pain in the arse and mood killer moving samples about. Maybe I’m missing something obvious, I dunno! But was sure I read that DT would make life very easy in a sort of drag n drop way with samples and hoped that would be replicated on AR much like Void’s sadly Mac only app for AR.

I heard something like that yeah, that it would apply to the rytm as well.

I just hope i can sample with the DT and transfer it to the rytm like i dont know any better.

1 Like

You need to read this topic again from the start! :dismayed:

4 Likes

Ah ha! Knew I had read that. Cheers

Hi Simon, would you pls consider a low sampling rate / bit depth option so one can make better use of the 64mb real estate ? Not to mention the added charm / character. (eg 48khz / 24khz, 24bit / 12bit) Thanks x

6 Likes

@Ess An indicator of the disk space left would be great as well at some point :wink:

5 Likes

12 bit would be awesome

2 Likes

Overbridge operates at 48 KHz in 16/24bit!

So we are all waiting for some videos showcasing what the Digitakt can do, but did these teaser videos before NAMM give us an idea of what we can expect? (I assume this is the Digitakt being heard in all three)

There are three in total:

If you change pitch, you change sample rate.
Upload a +12 pitched sound, set it to - 12, you have a 22.05 khz sample rate, if you prefer that. :confused:
There is a Bit Reduction setting apparently…

2 Likes

Sounds like it can play samples. :loopy:

I hope they let Mr Dataline show us more Digitakt soon.

I’m hoping that this also comes with either the ability to turn off sample interpolation/antialiasing, or perhaps it could have no interpolation at all… I love lo-fi aliased samples, and if this allows for things to get gritty, coupled with chromatic resampling (rather than timestretching), it’d be like having a hardware version of Protracker/FT2!

Isnt using an Analog Heat a much more pleasing way to get Grit into the sound? Dont get me wrong, i dont have a Heat, im just guessing :slight_smile: If i want that gritty sound from the 90s i just take Samples from the 90s, dont i?!

Pitch Shifting - obviously - doesnt change the Sample Rate guys :wink: Its the amount of Samples carried on a signal per Second; expressed in Hz or KHz.So when i have a Sample in 44,1 KHz it means that this very Sample carries 44100 pieces of audio information per second, resulting in a “smooth” sound because the pieces are so close together that there are no jumps in between them. If a Sample only has rate of 22 KHz it means it can only carry 22000 pieces of audio information per second, resulting in Aliasing because there might be jumps between the individual pieces. So when i pitch a sample up or down it doesnt matter, because it doesnt loose the information - its just stretched or shrinked. If i pitch it down very low it just gives the impression of a reduced sample rate because i increase the time it takes for playback of the same information like before. But its still 44,1 KHz :wink:

So, Sample Rate Reduction (or Conversion) would be the Tool to actually decrease the Sample Rate. It removes the Sample Information carried per second gradually and introduces Aliasing (the Artifacts) without changing the Sample Length. Its probably the thing that is also used in those old MPCs by default when you load Samples - to make them fit to the Audio Engine that simply cannot handle higher Sample Rates. But thats just a guess.

[edited to make more clear what i mean :wink: ]

1 Like

Obviously, I didn’t talk about pitch shifting.
Just pitch. Or tune, speed, if you prefer, which change the sample rate.

changing Pitch is the same, isnt it? :wink: Its Pitch Shifting - in one direction or the other. Along with changing the Speed, thats Timestretching … it doesnt matter. Nothing changes the Sample Rate. You just mess around with the information that is there but you dont change i.e remove it. So no Sample Rate change occurs, just Playback Speeds. Has nothing to do with the Sample Rate of the Sample itself

For some, yes. I’m talking about digital grit though—something an analog circuit could never achieve.
And yeah, you could use 90s samples, but if they’re interpolated, the sound gets muffled rather than the glassy sound of early 90s trackers :smiley:

Yes, I know how it works :smiley:
In my post I was talking about re-pitching a sample by playing it back at a different sample rate, rather than timestretching… and as above, using less/no antialiasing so that when those samples are pitched down, they don’t get that “muffled” sound that annoys me so much about modern samplers (except the volca sample and maybe the op-1…)

Perhaps, but this would be annoying when pitching samples for a melody, unless it could be set up to follow the pitch… in which case, why not just allow the user to disable interpolation/antialiasing?

ok, now i got ya :slight_smile: Sorry Guys, my mistake. This happens when you read with one eye only because you need to go to bed - slowly :smiley: Because of that it all read as if you think that Pitch-Shifting / Timestretching would change the Sample Rate. Ok, im out - that was the call for the bed :smiley: Gn8