Introducing Digitakt

I’m not that mad about the mono sample thing but good point. With today’s processors this box should be a MnM on steroids and more for half the price. :laughing:

Its saving grace at the moment is the sequencing capabilities for me. Comparing it to a circuit, which is way more limited sampling wise, but also provides two synth engines on board. Probably not as nice sounding and more cheaply built, but half the price.

Because $650

2 Likes

So call it advance sequencer and sampler. My AR says 8 voice drum computer. Digitakt is not that! I’m a drum machine head I take this type of wording seriously. Hahaha

3 Likes

Yes but is that cheap?

will it have ‘plays free’ functionality?
… and tempo (saved) per pattern/bank at last?

Throw another $250 on top and you have yourself a MPC Live!

4 Likes

drum computer and sampler :banana:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

I am sure Digitakt will look very pretty next to my analog heat :sunny:

Curious how the shorter sequencer will affect playing. But compact is good direction.

the machinedrum was a sampler and drumcomputer… this is a rehash… so a sampler and drumcomputer…

how do we call MPC live ? Drum computer , sampler , digital recorder and midi sequencer. and touch screen . and internet modem

1 Like

RE: sampler vs drum computer

that they’ve chosen to call this a “drum computer” bodes very well for the prospect of a refreshed dedicated sampler. i saw a vid where an elektron rep says something to the effect of “this is only the beginning”. the DT underwhelms me, but it’s definitely got me excited for the future

1 Like

I fully support their notion of making a fully entry level electron device. Sample based percussion greatly deminishes the learning curve with Elektron that makes people afraid to purchase their items

It’s brilliant for business, and the circuit is only good for 16 steps, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Its target marketing. A ‘sample’ is a very transparent concept - it can be anything. You could put pad sounds on every track and it would be an ambient machine. So given the lack of synthesis its nothing but market segment differentiation. They could have called it an 8 Voice Sample Sequencer, its more vague and doesnt target ‘beat makers’ as well as ‘drum computer’. But why the decision to market in this way? Maybe something we are yet to see. Otherwise why not market it as beat machine. + Soundscape generator + Ambient toolkit. A more broad target market but there must be a reason why they chose to focus in on beat makers.

Either way, a lot of this stuff comes down to taste. I think Heat and Digitakt is a good core decision for their future boxes going forward. They had to do it. Distortion + Beats is like bread and butter. Not for my taste currently, but mega excited to see what more esoteric things they release now they have the stock stuff out of the way.

1 Like

What are the probability trigs like on the MPCs?

1 Like

Midi production center

Not sure I’ll let you know with the 128 tracks

Happy scrolling :wink:

Also, where is the MPC L for $999 in the US? I’ve only seen $1199 (sweet water)

I think the notion of steering the consumer towards percussion would lead them more immediately to having fun with the DT, also a good point of Elektron machines is thinking outside of the box. So they sell you a drum machine and then you go “I wanna use solely this to make an ambient song”

But I think steering them towards percussion is a brilliant idea for new consumers