Introducing Digitakt

Oh yeah, being colourblind as f<{€ I really like the colours on this new box, sick of red on black invisible labelling…
As for RGB pads, wasted on me…

3 Likes

Noooooooooo!!!

2 Likes

hmmm

Sorry, Gene. I’d rather let you know the truth than allow you to live in false hope.

3 Likes

I appreciate that! Still considering the purchase tho.

2 Likes

Lack of synthesis hasn’t changed my mind one bit. Live sampling and the Waldorf Attack app for iPad will make a fierce combo.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why it’s still on my list. I’m thinking this and ableton simpler would be mind blowing! With the added bonus of soundcard functionality and tight sync. I’m on the fence with do I upgrade my Ableton to suite and get the BT or go MPC live?

Hi Zabong, i own a Push 2 and i really Love to use it more for sequencing my analog Keys. Do you know any programms (Step Sequenzer) that work or integrate well with push? Thanks for any advices

so this is a digital stripdown of the rytm

might things like midi out and audio recording be an option for future updates of the Rytm?

No synthesis then to me makes this feel like a mini OT, sans Xfader, scenes, FX, larger storage, and probably deeper sampling and recording capabilities. I’d imagine it would come preloaded with drum samples, with regular DT sample packs.

1 Like

Thinking the same thing…
Maybe those lame inputs will be coming to life one day!

Still gotta give the edge to the AR in terms of pure sound on the sample playback. The samples going through an analog signal path just sounds better.

If this thing had analog filters, the lack of drum synthesis would not matter; people would go nuts for it. If they also did something a bit more esoteric, like use 12-bit converters, it could be like a modern day SP1200 and ultimately, more people would have an unstoppable desire for it.

1 Like

Whats funny is that you guys will complain about whatever is released. When I say you guys I’m not pointing the finger directly at you per say. Im more directing this at everyone in general (even myself I’ve done it).

@Prints If it had analog filters inside people would be complaining that they just bought a Rytm and now its “obsolete”.

When in reality nothing goes obsolete. Only attitudes towards things go obsolete. If everyone put in as much time creating music with what they have rather than complaining about what they don’t have or what features shit doesn’t have then there would be a hell of a lot more good shit being released for people to listen to.

Id be willing to bet that a lot of the heads in here complaining about particular features or lack of features will still be lining up to buy this machine…especially after the “hands on” demos start showing up. $650 isn’t a bad price for what Elektron is offering in this box. Besides the fact that if we want to see more high tier devices being designed by Elektron then this is the exact price point that they need to get more units moving off the shelves. Half the price of any of the current lineup besides the Heat obviously.

Just remember whether its Analog or Digital it will still sound like shit if you don’t know how to use it, or use it to its potential

4 Likes

That’s what the first two teasers were. Just a drone repeating over and over. This is the box everybody was wanting whether they believe it or not. I can’t wait to see it in action!

1 Like

Why you complaining about people complaining lol

4 Likes

I think people got hyped because it says 8 voice drum computer on the box. If they would just called it 8 voice sampler none would bat an eye. For me it seems a little misleading to call something a drum computer and have no internal synth.

4 Likes

I agree, also indicating it has a sound engine when it relies on wav files to generate sound. Still interested to hear more from elektron directly but if it is purely a sampler wont be investing in it, OT covers it.

5 Likes

Imo the reason they have called it a drum computer specifically and not just ‘sampler’ is because it can only play back mono samples.
Typically drums samples are mono only as opposed to synths etc being stereo.
This brings up the main limitation of this unit. Being mono only for each voice or track is severely limiting for a ‘sampler’ and hence why they have even gone as far as labelling the buttons with drum descriptions. Being mono only, seems drums will be the only real use for the unit I think.
My other samplers are full predominantly with stereo samples and my only mono sources are drums really.
Why the mono limitation considering its digital? And why only 8 voice? These limitations are totally understandable in an analog unit, but in a digital unit?
With today’s ridiculously powerful processors I would expect more from a digital unit.
Come on, the new Akai units can do it?

1 Like

I think the reason why they call it a drum computer instead of a sampler, because as a sampler it’s not gonna hold up too well. As a sampler, it’s actually kinda lame. No slicing, no time stretch. It doesn’t really hold up. It’s obviously more than a sampler player, but less than a sampler.

And a pretty good reason why they can’t put drum synthesis in the unit is because that might be deemed a mk 3 of the machinedrum, and that COULD be illegal.