Introducing Digitakt

Maybe they’ll make the sample playback engine more advanced than the RYTM’s. If it has features specifically for using single-cycle waveforms and interpolating between them in the box to create your own wavetables, has crossfades with various curves, etc. that’d be pretty cool.

1 Like

P-locks just makes SO MUCH SENSE with percussion

Also, since it’s totally digital, if the ability to route tracks into other tracks to double up the filters and modulation (and maybe manipulate stereo samples) is implemented, that’d be really cool as well.

I heard somewhere the street price was going to be under a grand. I don’t remember maybe it’s wishful thinking. :loopy:

After i now tried to like NI Maschine, and Abelton Live for sequencing, wasted nearly 2 days troubleshooting this shit - i am back to the octatrack. When this small digitakt midi sequencer comes out and is decent - i think i will try one out.
Minimalism is anyways key in the music i like.

1 Like

I think it’s mono so that Overbridge has enough bandwidth.

4 Likes

Good point

I thought this bandwidth issue was only a usb 1 restriction?

I keep looking at this as the genius prodigy version of the Volca Sample. I just can’t stop grinning.

2 Likes

What is polyphony, stereo samples, timestrech, onboard storage, velocity pads, slicing, layers, tons of insert fx (of questionable quality atm tho), multisampled Keygroup instruments, physical separate outs, USB hub etc etc like on Digitakt? :wink: you can approximate probability on MPC piece of cake via the piano roll view. You can approximate none of the above on Digitakt…

The way I see it is if you have an OT or RYTM you’re kind of crazy/more money than sense (and space) to grab the Digitakt. obvs this depends on what’s there when it’s finished, but judging by current spec/rumoured functions… I’m not saying go grab an MPC necessarily, but it seems money that could be spent elsewhere wiser in most cases if you already have ot/rytm?

2 Likes

If this little fella has a sampling engine, then I expect a far more better time-streching algorithm as we found on the OT. There are six years between the two products and in this timespan I expect more cpu-power in the DT and therefore a more sophisticated programming.

Is there a song-mode?

Just as regards the surprisingly heated discussion that the product tag line gives the impression there must be synthesis because it says ‘computer’ - since when is a complex drum sample sequencer, (let alone with digital effects and filters) not a ‘computer’?

Those functions require a lot of computation.

I’d expect the word ‘synthesiser’ to be used if there was synthesis. Even ‘drum machine’ might suggest it ‘makes drums’ as per how the RYTM is described, but still not necessarily.

I don’t think there is any mismarketing going on.

My 2c anyway…

2 Likes

I agree that it is a good business model for Elektron. Circuit is 128 steps per session.

I has AR sampling possibilities so no Timestretch apparently. It is not an Ot light.

Output should be stereo or separate tracks.

cc[quote=“andreasroman, post:914, topic:35326”]
keep looking at this as the genius prodigy version of the Volca Sample. I just can’t stop grinning.
[/quote]

Same here, I becoming more excited about it everytime I have a look at it, thinking about the possibilities…

Sample your own voice in many ways, transform the DT in an Human Beatbox type of Machine.

No synth engine?
What’s the big deal?
You can choose your favorite Synth and go crazy with the sequencer.
I hope they put more attention to the sampler engine, or better sampler engines.
Each with it’s own character, that would be really cool.

I expect them to come up with other small machines like the DT.
I am thinking about a percussion synth, like an overhauled SPS-1.
Or a small mono synth, based on the MM, so you can choose your favorite combination.

Eventually when they have reached their goal, sold a hell lot of machines and boxes and made loads of money, they will bring us the ÜBER OCTATRACK… the MK2 and they will call it THE REAL MACHINE… based on all the small units that will become available now and in the near future… :loopy:

But yeah, I like the direction they are taking right now.
I am really excited about how the DT will sound and what it’s possibilities will be…

2 Likes

watched the review from Nick at Sonicstate a couple of hours ago! Amazing Box this new MPC Live! If really everything is true that they promise for this thing … it’s the ultimate Sampler - you dont need more! I really consider this as well and have lost some interest on the Digitakt now …

But how’s the Workflow with those MPC things? Can i “classically” create patterns? Seems like every video i see they are all live recording; thats NOT my thing at all - i want classic pattern programmability! Can i just enter the steps? Via simple touch in the MIDI-Editor there? That would be killer, for sure!

If you scroll up from the bottom of the mpc thread someone posted a photo of the step sequencer page. Just tap where you want notes.

Some people aren’t gonna be down for using touchscreen, I’m not in to it either ideally, but seems an OK trade off on this. And putting in steps is something I wouldn’t really miss physical buttons for. Would be better with step buttons but not a dealbreaker without if the screen is responsive, which sonicstate seem to think it is…

The digitakt seems pretty clearly aimed at new users IMHO. Fair enough but nothing there so far revealed that makes me wanna grab it. Except conditional midi trigs to use on my OT would be pretty cool, but it’s not worth £500/600 to me just for that, and I’ve got enough cables/housekeeping headaches etc here already. Obvs that’s not all it does, so YMMV. Maybe it’ll turn out much deeper than currently rumoured and I’ll be interested but not really so far…

Edit - it’s gonna be a different workflow from Elektron step sequencer patterns tho. I’ve never used an mpc before but it seems to suit a lot of what I do more with the linear thing. I think you can also set the pads to trigger patterns in kind of Elektron way. Guess try and find a store to demo/wait for more vids if unsure…

1 Like

All the overbridge machines are USB1.

Re digitakt vs MPC - some people don’t want yet another deep and complex machine to go alongside their deep and complex machines. I own an OT and I’m far more tempted by something fast and easy like the DT. If I want MPC features I’ll fire up Ableton and save myself the pain of using a touchscreen.

4 Likes

As i said something right for someone, is not necessarily true for someone else.
ALSO, you can use a complex machine, in a simpler manner… the opposite can’t be. (appart from structure and organisation, saving etc… and of course price comes with both)

Edit : ALSO, you can use a complex machine, in a simpler manner… the opposite is more limited at some point.

2 Likes