Introducing Digitakt

I think you need to buy more gear…

3 Likes

Interesting story, kinda of what I went through.

I love this.

So, is it true that, if I would buy a second digitakt, I would have to buy overbridge premium twice??

I can understand this when buying different Elektron boxes (although it seems kind of strange to at the very least not give a discount), but asking customers to buy the same license twice?
Doesn’t seem ok…

1 Like

I reckon it may depend on if the license stays with the user or with the machine.

Time will tell.

Om most if not all software licenses you get more than 1 license to be able to install it on multiple computers.

In this case it would be just common sense to give another license to dedicated customers that buy a second machine of the same kind. Or at least a huge discount. Ah well… Time will tell.

2 Likes

Pretty much every DAW and vst plugin I have allows multiple installs varying from 2 to even 5 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure Pirate Bay will have Overbridge so relax people.

1 Like

Regarding OB premium, you pay to get your machine unlocked. It’s per machine, so owning two DT’s means you have to buy it twice.

What happens behind the scene, which is a guess is that your machine’s either gets unlocked psychically (like some bit changed inside it) or that the serial number is stored somewhere and OB will check if your machine is unlocked (I hope this isn’t the case, online DRM sucks) and if it’s listed all options are available to you in OB.

1 Like

I understand and respect they de-coupled OB and made it a sepperate product you can buy, but paying full price for each machine beyond the first is pretty hard to swallow…

It varies from company to company. Waves and iZotope prohibit simultaneous use on multiple computers, but all of Audio Damage VST/AU/AAX are multiple installs, simultaneous.

The Kush Omega plug-ins I just bought use iLokLicenser… 2 simultaneous installs…

I agree with you on all of this, and hope Elektron can see the inherent unreasonability of requiring online DRM over and over for high-end performance instruments. My sense is that lots of people with a dedicated music production computer don’t want it online all the time–but the bigger problem would be getting to the gig, setting up, and then not being able to perform your set because the wifi is down…

To me, since it’s clear they’re doing it, that approach seems like the only way to do it that makes sense. Roland’s like that too with the System-1m, a one-time process, and I can’t think of another method that wouldn’t run the risk of crippling functionality in a way that would make the gear unreliable. I mean, if the Internet is the dongle, that’s not fair to the gear, let alone the user…

yeah that was mentioned.
Pretty sure if you sell on a device, the next person will be able to continue OB Premium.

Thought that there must be some internet authentication handshake once to unlock premium.

But actually if they do it right, all you need is some unlock code from them which is an encrypted version of your device serial number. The app will only need to compare the actual hardware serial from the USB device with the serial embedded in that code. It’s easy and yeah, if done right, relatively safe.

3 Likes

In almost every case you can run 2 at the same me time.
And in case of OB, running 2 instances if I have two of the same machines should be possible. At least I imagine it would :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea, I don’t think it will check the machine’s serial in some database online but actually change something in the machine itself. Elektron can easily change a bit inside the machine somewhere from 0 to 1 to indicate it’s unlocked.

1 Like

Nice! J1 looks very interesting :sunglasses:

Tear down post here and Flick album here.

2 Likes

think J1 is a debug port of sorts - the analogs have that too. CPU is the same as Rytm.
The interesting chip is the audio codec: http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4621EF

The AK4621 is a high performance 24-bit CODEC that supports up to 192kHz recording and playback. The on-board analog-to-digital converter has a high dynamic range due to AKM’s Enhanced Dual-Bit architecture. The DAC utilizes AKM’s Advanced Multi-Bit architecture that achieves low out-of-band noise and high jitter tolerance through the use of Switched Capacitor Filter (SCF) technology. The AK4621 is ideal for Pro Audio sound cards, Digital Audio Workstations, DVD-R, hard disk, CD-R recording/playback systems, and musical instrument recording.

2 Likes

Yay. I couldn’t figure out how on Earth I loved the Digitakt buttons so much…and it’s because I’ve spent thousands of hours typing on the same buttons.

1 Like

Eh? I said almost… I can name more than a few wher eyou can run 2 at the same time. Dunno what the point of this discussion is though…