Introducing Digitakt

oh I am sorry, I mixed up the words… ok, thx :slight_smile:

No Kits banks that can be used across projects is very weird design decision on a drum machine.

You can plock Fx sends only, not Fx parameters.

More for advanced users but if you plug DT midi out to midi in, you can plock Fx with midi tracks, and have 2 trigs per step. :wink:

But individually they lack basic core functions that should be on machines that cost what they do. I’m tired of Elektron’s business model.

Not everyone wants to take their laptop or other external gear to gigs so that their Digitakt can remember pattern chains.

Elektron should open their eyes to who’s using their gear. We’re not all DJ’s or EDM musicians.

1 Like

So has anyone received their DT from a reseller yet or are all the units we’re seeing in the wild coming from orders placed directly through Elektron? And on a more selfish note, any feedback you have from Canadian stores would be nice, I got my pre-order at Moogaudio MTL and as of yesterday they had no dates…

2 Likes

This may be controversial, but I have to say I like the current structure in the DT. It may be lacking some features (e.g. the ongoing kit discussion) but it is a hell of a lot simpler than the other boxes and I enjoy that.

3 Likes

I’m also interested in that Kit issue… I have a question, sorry if it has been answered already but:
would I be able to connect a MIDI controller like a Launchcontrol XL directly to the USB port of the Digitakt in standalone? my guess is the answer is no, as it’s probably only for data transfer from a computer and it won’t power USB devices…

on a sidenote, as an Octatrack user I’m one of those that is considering selling my Octatrack to get an MPC Live, and maybe a Digitakt later on… I feel like Live will suit my workflow better and, although I’ll sure miss some of Octatracks features (3xLFO’s per track, 2fx slots per track, etc.), I never was a heavy user of scenes, for example… and Live beeing an in-depth machine, I would love to have a counterpart with much more intuitive/fast worflow, more apt for jamming and creating without much preparation… I remember specifically trying to set up my Octatrack to play along with a friend who has a Machinedrum - by the time I set up sample chains, etc, the thrill was a bit gone… I feel like Digitakt might be a more focused (although limited, I know) instrument - and a nice Heat companion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you not just mimic the DT workflow on OT in that scenario? Ie. No sample chains…

‘I’d rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it’, or whatever that True Romance quote is :wink:

2 Likes

The way I see the OT the trick is to set up as many different things ready to go before hand that can be adapted to various jamming scenarios so when it’s time you just utilize what you already programmed… If a completely new configuration scenario comes up you may need to do a bunch more programming, but after that it’s ready to roll again in the same scenario time and time again…

7 Likes

A midi controller needs to be hooked up to a usb host which DT is not, it also wants to be connected to a usb host. You can get standalone usb midi hosts that you could connect both to, or route by attaching them both to a computer…

1 Like

I don’t have one yet, but I think I will prefer the structure over the Rytm. I find it a pain in the ass to save a kit as new after editing it so it won’t get overwritten. I’d much rather copy a pattern and be able to edit the sounds without destroying what I did on a different pattern.

5 Likes

For sure :slight_smile: It’s kind of a ‘must do’ for jamming OT with other people and having fun with it.

Can def recommend setting up a ‘jam’ project template with tons of stuff laid out across banks - A bank of scenes/designer LFOs, a couple of banks of chromatic sounds (with different ‘patches’ also in Parts), bank of drumkits (different ones also in parts), + midi loopback arpeggio setup to go + different sample buffer setups etc all ready to go. Then sounds/settings can be copied fast in to an empty bank while you jam.

Before I set that project up it was cool jamming with other people but a lot of ‘wait a sec, just wanna set something up’…

4 Likes

oof when are euro shops getting em in??
hurry the fuk up nao. I been elektron-less for nearly a month nao. goin crazay heor
:rofl:

1 Like

I never use song mode. instead mix it all up on the fly. makes for a much more spontaneous and instinctive performance imo. and different ones each time.

3 Likes

works fine, very easy to use, Ive only tried wavs so far and they show up as samples in the settings menu

Ditto here on a sort of template project. I get the basics loaded so that I can just begin a X0X jam with no preparation. It’s great to have that project ready so I can just jam whenever I want. Highly recommended.

I’m enjoying reading about the excitement over DT. I can’t wait to see one in the wild. :slight_smile:

1 Like

10 Likes

We’re never all going to agree on whether the OT is preferable to a DT or vice versa…
The reasons people don’t like the OT are what makes them like the DT, and the reasons people don’t like the DT are what makes them like the OT…
Some will like both…
:sparkles:

10 Likes

We must becomes Operating Thetans (OT).

2 Likes

Will I am. :wink:

1 Like