Introducing Digitakt

This thread, like all threads on this forum, has a search function too.

For instance, searching “24 bit” with “Search this topic” checked will return a good bit of relevant information.

5 Likes

or, you look at Simon’s and Dataline’s posts exclusively, and pretty much all of your questions will be answered.

11 Likes

Well, for what it’s worth, I was at a synth event yesterday and played with both an MPC Live and the Digitakt, and ended up canceling my Live preorder and submitting one for the Digitakt.

The MPC feels like a computer - and it took me upward of five minutes to simply get an initialized track with some samples loaded. Of course, this takes 3 seconds after learning the machine, but it didn’t seem very intuitive to someone who has used an MPC1000 for years.

The Digitakt felt really nice and I could be pretty fast on it from the get-go. The things that probably make it even cooler than a Rytm for me are the sampling capability (workflow-wise, I can come up with a nice element w/ my modular, sample my modular and then free it up to do a new melody/part) and the ability to fine-tune sample start/end/length.

Did not expect this result going in…

7 Likes

Interesting… The same things that made you switch to DT are the things that make me feel like i’d possibly tire of it within a few weeks and be wishing it had more depth… As an OT/AK owner its great that I’d understand DT instantly, but for me that also takes some of the shine off of buying/experimenting.

What made mpc feel like a computer to you? Just the screen? Or was it buggy/latency/lag etc?

To understand something quickly, does not exclude depth. It only takes the nonsense away so you can get straight to the learning.

Check out a few Volca Sample videos on that Yotubes that the kids keep talking about, and you’ll get an idea of the depths a no-nonsense instrument can offer.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t saying that DT isn’t deep :wink: Anything with an Elektron sequencer is going to offer longevity and obviously a sampler can to some extent be something new every day depending what you throw in it and what you do with it. Just wondering if after honeymoon I’d feel like I didn’t really need to have bought it. The limitations don’t seem very ‘creative’, unless you’re of the mindset that the OT feature set is bloated/un-useful. In which case fair enough. I think I’d maybe regret it. If it had a battery and a modern take on the vast Sp404 fx suite or poly tracks or something like that to make it really stand out from OT then I’d be way more excited about adding it.

FWIW the ‘feels like a computer’ MPC comments have also got me doubting an mpc live purchase… Maybe I should just grab Beatmaker 3 for ipad when it drops and deal with the shortcomings (less physical UI + needing a small interface + pads controller + no direct daw integration etc) and put the money elsewhere…

Gonna chill and wait a month or so after user feedback/vids on both units appear. Man Vs Gas - 1 - 0 :wink:

2 Likes

impressive gas defense system :slight_smile:

i want a DT soo bad I’ve gas out the wazoo :smiley:

2 Likes

:blush:

I don’t think you need more stuff at all. If you’ve got the OT and like it, and doubt if the DT or Live would contribute to your flow, then it’s probably cause it won’t. These things aren’t as hard as we make them up to be. You just don’t need more stuff, and that’s a good place to be in, one which is worth commending.

7 Likes

Yeah can get by with what I have here for sure, this forum is a hive of first world problems :wink:

Live’s portability would be a big deal, (Op1’s my most used synth… 3 kids at home make ‘studio time’ hard :wink: Got some doubts over it tho. Feature set is killer but not sure how it’ll ‘feel’ to use…Roll on user vids/feedback…

3 Likes

When will we hear about how the pattern chains, MIDI tracks and Master page work? Would be nice to see a demo of the features we haven’t yet seen.

I can’t imagine parameter slides with the midi if it’s defo not on the audio.
Another painful reminder.

Man, we really should swap stories. I’ve got three kids, too. For me, portability and battery power are killer features, not just convenient but essential, in the long run.

3 Likes

this is a good addition to the dark trinity then. if you wanna stick to the same tempo, make dt a slave, when you wanna change tempo per pattern, make dt the master.

1 Like

Yep. And don’t forget slides and lfos send a lot of midi informations. Midi bandwidth is limited, you can have stuck notes problems or worse if you send too much midi messages.
Maybe on a computer or via Usb its different.

1 Like

Preach! This whole thread just astounds me the little I’ve kept up.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Join us at Helsinki Synthetic!

Imagine how many people passed on the OT after spending a few minutes with and deciding it’s not “intuitive enough” All instruments have learning curves and should challenge you in some way.

7 Likes

The screen was one part of it, and also the user interface didn’t make sense at all with first glance. I still don’t know how I could change quantization options, or quantize. I am very much sure it’d start making sense with a good reading of the manual and digging in a bit, but I’m not entirely sure that the Live would be a better option than Ableton + pad controller, for me.

I’m into hardware for the hardware experience. Immediacy, jammability (sorry for that word) and feeling like an actual musical instrument are what keep me buying these boxes. I think the Digitakt had that going for it over the Live. But even if I brought the comparison up myself, I do realize it’s kind of besides the point – seems like both units will sell really, really well and find their way to users who really appreciate each machine for what it is.

5 Likes

yeah, fair point, and my account is the result of 20 minutes with the machines – I’m sure the MPC Live will be a real powerhouse, but it felt like it isn’t what I’m looking for in a hardware sampler. I was really hyped for it, too, so I was pretty disappointed to come to this conclusion.

(Sorry for the MPC Live off-topic, will zip it now)

1 Like

Thank you Elektron for making the “M” and “W” a littlel wider on the new display! Those smashed together M’s and W’s drove me nuts. I know, it’s the little things :smiley:

4 Likes