Introducing Digitakt

I respect that’s the way you work, but I want to add synths and other hardware into the mix so want some control over the individual channels in my final recording.
Also fx per channel in my DAW.
For example I don’t want to whack decimort bit reducer over the entire mix when I only want it on a hi hat etc

I’m have to decide today whether I preorder or not (local shop still has 1 in the first release available). This is why I am eager to find this answer out :thinking:
I suppose I should be able to resell fairly easily too as elektron keeps its value well from what I’ve heard

Dude do it! I preordered mine at perfctcircuitaudio and i got 10 percent off. Which is cool but im not happy with some of the stuff on the DT its ok because i work soley on the daw. And i already use my decimort on my drums so it be fine and all the FX on the daw i can stereo my drums regardless. I already worked on my drums on the daw on mono so its nbd. And if i want to synthesize my wave forms i can use my push to play in key with whatever i make on the DT. I just want to make beter drums and have more interstimg rithyms and playing in the daw with drums suck for me. I can do it on the push but all the amazing shit we can do with the DT is great and exactly what i want. Preorder it!

Nice LED display though…

1 Like

I think I got a nice little idea for a micro rig going here.

DigiTakt sends Midi Out from the USB, to a Yamaha Reface CS. DigiTakt’s midi sequencer plays the Reface on channel one.

DigiTakt sends Midi Out from the Din port, to a Volca Sample. DigiTakt’s midi sequencer plays the Volca Sample on channel 2-8.

Volca Sample goes into the Reface’s Aux In. Reface Line Out goes into DigiTakt’s Line In.

Essentially, I could split up some of the drum duties between the Volca Sample and the DigiTakt, saving the more complex goodies for the DigiTakt, keeping some of the more straight-forward stuff to the Volca Sample (hi-hats, kicks, I don’t know) but playing it not from the Volca Sample’s sequencer, but from the DigiTakt. And make some of that lovely Volca Sample character part of the mix, as well.

I’d get the Reface’s excellent character and polyphony as well, also triggered from the Digi’s midi sequencer, and then the rest of the sampling mayhem reserved to the DigiTakt.

And whenever I’d want to sample something from the Reface or the Volca Sample, they’re already routed into the DigiTakt, so I could just do that on the spot and use it at once.

And the entire track is stored in the DigiTakt, controlled by its sequencer with automation and all.

It’s just crazy enough to work.

1 Like

I went today and did it, got in the first batch. Paid in full. Wait for it now.

1 Like

Are you sure that Yamaha acts as a host ? doesn’t look like it, looks like it looks for a host

1 Like

Hopefully Elektron start to build in USB midi hubs in the next gen big boxes. For DT it would have been great with an ipad for very small footprint/minimal cables rig.

4 Likes

Damn it. You’re right. Well, it’s the thought that counts :blush:

3 Likes

That will work just fine as the DT looks for a host (it’s just that the Yamaha cannot be a host)

1 Like

In fact, using the DT’s midi sequencer into your iPad instrument(s) of choice, and route the iPad’s audio back into the DT, might be pure awesonium.

2 Likes

Great, that’s a definite + for me. They’re slowly stacking up :wink: Reckon I’ll cave after a couple of OS updates/inevitable additions :wink:

So is it basically ‘any Elektron device that’s ob/sound card will output midi/clock to ipad via USB’? Wish OT did this :frowning: Will they also send midi/clock to Op1?

1 Like

Yeh for sure. Ipad = great OT food, should be same for DT. Lots of poly synth/sampler options :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I believe there are a few recent regressions on some aspects of normal midi behaviour through usb, but these will be returned to a working state soon hopefully

A4 AK AR DT all do bi-directional midi over USB with an iPad and CCK etc

2 Likes

You’ve already caved😊your mind just needs to catch up with your heart😊

3 Likes

I just thought of something I’m not entirely clear on. I’ve been assuming that the two audio inputs allow you to use two individual mono signals to mix with everything coming out the master. But what if only stereo with hard panned left & right, or only one channel panned to the center are the only options? I’m wondering if there’s even a panning control for the inputs, or the ability to control the wet/dry mix of the delay and reverb effects for each channel.

There is no input machines. You will have to activate the sample page then exit out to get audio in. Sound like a hack! If you can find a the sample page screen shot you might have your answer about panning capabilities.

1 Like

I really need to know if I’ll be able to mix two mono signals using the audio inputs, and at least pan them both to the center.

I got to play with Digitakt today. It looks awesome and feels great to use and is responsive for the most part. I also played with MPC Live and for my use, Digitakt is the obvious choice. With Digitakt I had a beat going in under a minute, with MPC Live I was lost in menus. Still feeling a bit salty about the DT EU price though since the featureset seems a bit limited in DT, but I am still getting one. I like the fact that it is very quick and intuitive to use.

There were some quirks with the interface in the demo unit, for example when browsing samples and changing the direction of the encoder, there was a delay before direction of the browsing changed in the display. I am sure they take care of those kinds of things with final firmware though. There also seemed to be several features missing in the demo firmware, makes me wonder how they will manage to release the final unit in May…

1 Like

DT will be rad. Stoked.

Got spoiled with Direct Jump though